Roman numerals analysis Dorico 4

Hi!

Pleased to have received Dorico 4, looks great! Question : does it have harmonic analysis (Roman numerals)? I really need this feature handy!

Take care!

Best

Nico

No natively (yet), Iā€™m afraid, but there is an excellent solution with a custom font: see MusAnalysis, a new font for RNA and functional symbols

If you use MusAnalysis, the simple version is: Layout Optionsā€“Note Spacing, uncheck ā€œMake space for lyrics,ā€ and use the lyric popover to input the analysis. You can set your font in Font Styles.

4 Likes

Thank you, Iā€™ll try that!

Thanks, just bought the font, works really well!

1 Like

Hello Dan, Thank you for this suggestion of using MusAnalysis font in Dorico Lyrics - which works very well. I initially struggled to find a way of allowing a V7b Roman numeral chord (first inversion of a V7 chord) to be ā€œas writtenā€ without the b being interpreted as a flat.
Eventually I stumbled on @b , which does the job.
Is this mentioned in the documentation (admission of guilt - canā€™t find where I put it!).? If not an easily findable post mentioning this could help other users.

Thanks

I feel like an idiot. I just bought MusAnalysis and I have the font installed. How do I change the Lyric font to use it? I am in the Edit Font Styles popup, and in the left column there is nothing that says Lyrics. I added a new thing in that left column and called it ā€œRoman Numeralsā€ and made the parent the ā€œLyrics Fontā€, but thereā€™s still no change from whatever default Dorico is using. Iā€™m on Dorico 4.3. Thanks!

Lyrics are now a paragraph style.

Hi! I think itā€™s in the ā€œparagraph stylesā€ menu. Check it out and let me know if it works!

Best

Nico

Hmm, well unfortunately, I see lyrics in Paragraph style, but I donā€™t see anywhere to change the font there

Ah, wait-ok, so I just had to tick the font button to access the fonts. Looks like Iā€™m sorted now. Thanks!

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry to come back to thisā€¦ but is there a chance we ever see roman analysis native in Dorico? Even though Danā€™s font is ok and saved my ass, it still feels like a workaround where you might have to write stuff like : 6ā€“4_43_____2323___23 (exaggeratingā€¦).

2 Likes

I use lyrics to write the Roman Numbers and then I add figured Bass with popup. It works well for me. (And can Position and space the lines of Roman Numbers and of figured Bass independently.). Like that I can also create a second line of Roman Numbers if a chord is a pivot* chord in a modulation for example (*same chord with 2 harmonic meanings).

1 Like

I have a feeling weā€™ll see RNA this next release but only Daniel knows ā€¦ presumably itā€™ll be bundled in the figured bass system? Or maybe the chord system would be better. And then ā€˜Shift-Qā€™ would mean analysis, which makes sense in a Star-trekky kind of way.

2 Likes

Q!!! (Worf) ā€œI am NOT a merry man!ā€

1 Like

Iā€™ve had this feeling for a long timeā€¦ :slight_smile: I hope you know more than me!

1 Like

By far the ā€œbest kinda wayā€

Best

e

1 Like

ā€œ Iā€™m sorry to come back to thisā€¦ but is there a chance we ever see roman analysis native in Dorico?ā€
_ I strongly agree. Roman numerals are used by most students at some point. We study that on harmony textbooks, and turn in the assignments. Sophisticated MusAnalysis can meet the needs for advanced tasks. Some basics can be included in Dorico too. The figured bass is already there, but still need Roman numerals.

Yes, itā€™s absolutely in our plans, and we will bring this feature into a future version of the software.

4 Likes

Is functional analysis (German symbols and translated English symbols) also in your plans? The MusAnalysis font supports it, but there is some incompatibility with Dorico 4. It would be better if Dorico supported it natively.

This post is factually somewhat incorrect. Please refer to the supplementary post: