Same story again - What was wrong with track labels on colour bckground ??

Unfortunately they’re way, way harder to read once the text spills onto a 2nd line, and halfway-overlaps the little coloured bar at the bottom.

Having worked on 10.5 all day today, I really, really dislike the white-on-black.

Exactly!

+1

On my PC the text overlapping the color strip went away after I closed and reopened the MixConsole. Now the text (2 lines again - yeah) is all above the color strip. Without the overlap I find the white on black text super easy to read. Personally I find it vastly superior to the previous. The old way it was hard to use mid-range colors because the contrast was low.

thread here with some different colour mockups

100% RIGHT!

Can confirm that closing and reopening mixconsole does prevent the overlap, but I don’t particularly want to have to close and repoen it every single time I want to type in a long-ish track name!

This is clearly a GUI bug that should have been caught during in-house testing.

But why bother testing in-house when you can get your users to do it for free, eh? :laughing:

There’s a bug with it displaying the LC/HC 6/12 too. The mixer seems to get very confused over what font size to display where, the same windows on a different channel, it’s all over the place, resizing, closing and reopening, all producing different inconsistent results. After trying everything, I’m not sure how it’s supposed to look anymore, what is a design intention and what is a bug. THIS NEEDS SERIOUS WORK!

Completely agree mitchiemasha - at this point I’m not sure if Steinberg even know what’s a bug and what’s meant to be there…

I’d love to know how something as important as mixconsole gets released in a major .5 update with gui/font glitches that are obvious to literally anyone who uses it for like 10 mins - there’s just no possible way this wasn’t noticed in testing, so either SB literally didn’t bother testing the release build AT ALL, or they’re basically saying to us “Yeah, we know this is pretty sloppy and half-baked, but we’ve already got your money, so…”

I use Ableton and Logic frequently, and I literally can’t remember ever running into these kinds of incredibly basic GUI issues with either of them.

A DAW is a piece of software that literally thousands of professionals (myself included) depend on every day to make their living - while some people may think graphical inconsistencies are relatively unimportant, for me at least they shake my confidence and make me question whether I can really depend on the tool I’m using - because if they can’t get basic GUI elements right, what under-the-hood stuff is just waiting to break?

Fisher Price…

Logic looks like ass.

Most DAW companies had the fortune of copying Steinberg without having the margin of error associated with R&D and Steinberg is still pushing limits beyond what other DAWs are. You can’t compare, and imo, they don’t compare.

Every professional knows, that every major software update comes with a risk. Every OS update comes with a risk. Every new studio computer build goes comes with a risk - you don’t do these things, updates, whatever, without realizing there are going to be quirks to work out. You assess whether the update is worth it, or you test the update on a secondary studio computer.

No body is forced to update, and many professionals choose not to update right away - that’s what professionals do. They don’t rush into an update and then moan they spent $50.

give it a rest, make your reports in the issues thread, and then friggin get on with it.

I don’t care what logic looks like. I only care what Cubase looks like and they must see the issues. I love Cubase and don’t intend on ever using another but if we defend what is a clear glitch, this allows them to get more lazy in that department. More people need to be making noise about it otherwise it ends up in the, for now that doesn’t matter list. I’m not on about design preferences here, as that’s subjective, a matter of opinion, what pleases one irritates another… These are clear errors in design implementation.

This update was amazing. Lots I love. I instantly upgraded and already thanked steinberg but we can get them to do better. With a little more push, they could of had this mixer perfect.

I would prefer the buttons have no colors (Mute Solo Read Write Rec etc)and color back the title background

+1
I also prefered the old look with the full color background.

+1

The new look is sloppy and breaks up the colorized strip.

Does anyone else also think it looks terrible that the highlighted track is gray? Since when is gray a good color to indicate something is highlighted?

That was my first though seeing it but tried not to think too much about it, no doubt it will be different in Cubase 11

Just adding my voice to the chorus of those who thought the Cubase 10 mixconsole track-label colouring scheme was fine just as it was. The 10.5 manual even shows the colours the old way, as if the change might have been an afterthought.

I really don’t like the new black/white name strips, for both practical and aesthetic reasons. I know it may seem like a small and petty thing to complain about, and perhaps if I had never seen Cubase in any other form I might not think about it much; but I agree wholeheartedly with the OP that it is disappointing when an update brings some excellent new features but then changes something unnecessarily and for the worse.

this whole issue is AGAIN pointing for me at the bigger problem:
why does Steinberg fiddle with small cosmetic changes in almost every update. it is unnecessary, counterproductive to workflow and will always appeal or irritate someone or another.
who cares!
yes, aesthetics are nice but for a serious, professional user they probably rank in the lower 5%.
Solid, innovative functionality (or at least keeping up with the competition) and stability is what should always have No1 priority in updates!

+1

Sorry, guys, but having that tiny colour strip at the bottom is a fix for something that simply wasn’t broken. I really don’t understand why you would change it.

I like it a lot better now. It’s much more pleasing for the eyes and consistent in contrast.I don’t have any issues to spot my tracks fast.