Second time only

I can’t find anything that indicates “play on pass x”, “first time only”, or “second time only”. I don’t see any indication that the 2.2 support for DS and codas adds any of this. Am I missing something?

2 Likes

No, you’re not missing anything. It’s not yet implemented.

Has this been implemented in Dorico 3.1? Are there any plans? I think this is an important feature.

It’s planned but not currently available.

Also searching for this right now - using Dorico more & more over S******s, but an important part of that will be making midi demos for bands, & I really don’t want to have to create long form scores just so I can get Dorico to play back when certain parts are on repeats only, etc.

2 Likes

That’s where we are at the moment, I’m afraid. Fortunately, with C&P (and the fact that you don’t have to format anything to look pretty) it’s easy enough to create dummy flows to do this.

Good afternoon,

Just checking in a little later to see if this feature has been implemented yet.

Thanks

1 Like

No, there hasn’t been a change in this area as of 3.5.11.

1 Like

There is a way to maybe cheat though - suppose you create a couple of PT. A “mute” that pulls the true volume down (CC7 I think?) and a “play” that restores it. Put the “mute” on a pickup bar before the repeated section, and put the “play” in the ending on a rest just before you want the instrument to come in.

2 Likes

Depending on VST setup, this can be done with a channel change to a channel without an instrument loaded, then a change back too.

1 Like

Can PT do a transpose? If so, you might be able to transpose the note up a few octaves to get it out of the playable range for that instrument, again depending on the VSTi. Either that or the channel change is preferable to tampering with the volume because you don’t have to concern yourself with setting the volume back to the exact level it was before the “mute”.

You guys are pretty creative. Yes they can transpose, Base PT other than “Init” have a transpose setting, but maybe the next PT would reset it? I’m not sure on that. Whatever you do, use something that the next PT’s aren’t going to undo…

Here’s a sample file demonstrating 1st x only. There’s a hidden “Tacet” PT at the end of the first ending which triggers a channel change to a channel without a VST instrument. The “Play” in the 2nd ending switches it back.

If you wanted 2nd x only, I think you’d need to trigger the Tacet right before the initial repeat sign, then put the Play in the 1st ending or right before the ending repeat.

1st x Only.dorico (444.4 KB)

2 Likes

I’m playing around with this using some other VSTs. The channel change solution doesn’t work with VSL Synchron Pianos. The max transposition adjustment in Dorico is 100 which still plays back using a Synchron Piano. I’m not sure exactly what it’s doing, but obviously it’s not 100 semitones. Defining the master Volume to be CC#1 in the Synchron Piano VST player (CCs are assignable) and setting the max volume as 1 in the expression map in Dorico seems to work as the player interprets that as -inf dB.

Pity there isn’t an option in PT to simply mute or un-mute the track.

Hi Fred,
how did you make this? I spent all morning trying to understand but I can’t figure it out! Could you please explain that, or maybe let me know if I can import this great way to work? many thanks

Check out the Playing Techniques in that file. Both the Tacet and Play are actually PTs, not regular text. Then go to Play/Expression Maps and check out the “Tacet” expression map I created for that example and have assigned to the Piano. The Tacet PT switches to an unused channel (16) and the Play PT switches it back.

I have tried all of them, but unfortunately I did not succeed!
let’s hope the steinberg people develop this option soon!
Anyway, thank you for your explanation.

1 Like

I too think that this is an essential part of playback/export that’s currently missing.

Yes in Sibelius you can tell an instrument not to play on a repeat pass e.g on a 2 bar repeat the melody line can play on the second repeat. I struggle to be able to do this in Dorico the advanced music notation software from Steinberg

1 Like