Seeking Headphone Recommendations For Nuendo Immersive Mixing

Good points. Will do. TY…s

Seinheizer hd 600. Flattest headphones for mixing out there, better than the hd 650 and hd 800 (these both colour the sound more)

for binaural.miximg you can get dear reality plugins for.mixing in nuendo, they are the best plugins ive used for binaural mixing though of course it depends on the hrtfs used. Head tracking, just get a head tracker for use with headphones. Im not sure there is great advamtage to havi.g your mix available in ambisonics format, there is no need to convert to ambisonics first for binairal mixing. Ambisonics is useful in that one file will decode to different speaker arrays but if ylur.mixing on headphones theres no point, just direct to binaural, no need to go to ambisonics first.

I have read papers on ambisonics but they are all math - not my forte

Is it real or hype - is it worth playing with?

My main interest is Atmos 9.1.4 music to a headphone mix. I would appreciate any thoughts, tips you may have. I have left PT for N12. So I’m a beginner :slight_smile: …s

Also have you ever played with Sound Particles - real or hype?

There is zero point ypu using ambisonics. Ambisonics has its uses but to my ears amplitude panning has always sounded better and atmos uses amplitude panning (similar but not the same a vbap). Ambisonics is not all hype, but there is a lot of hype, its something to wander round your university facility and act superior to your phd colleagues as you can show off that you understand spherical harmonics. Its a beutiful and elegant solution that only works if at all under very precise conditions. Amplitude panning is much more forgiving of bad speaker placement, has no sweet spot if designed properly and more accurate localisation and this has been shown in listening tests. These opinions could get me killed in certain universities but thats my experience of ambisonics after yeara of working in a 3d audio and research at a cutting edge research facility where I heard a lot of ambisoncs, wavefield synthesis etc, lots of pomp and bluster and if someone tells you its doesnt sound right tell them its because they dont understand the maths. Ambisonics works alright, just not brilliantly, theres other things out there that work better and arent nearly so pretentious. s. Plenty of great sounding ambisonics mixes around, but in my opinion thats due to the designer not ambisonics and would sound better in vbap or atmos. Ambisonics can be useful for filli g out holes in panning… Maybe.
But of course if I understood spherical harmonics better I wouldnt say any of these terrible things and I would realise just how good ambisonics sound

I beg to differ! :smiley:

1 Like

hey, at least your begging :joy:

Great discussion. I am from the school of seat of your pants audio from the 60s and 70s. Lot’s of delayed echo, crossed echo, then the first delay lines. Star Wars brilliant sound efx’s were all mono which were panned or spread using a bank of Eventide ddl’s. The processing for C3PO’s voice was 1ms steps phase canceling on a word-to-word basis. Even the Fox logo at the beginning of the film was a spread buss effect. Most of the surround was the Haffler l-r, which is still used today. (some was panned) My reason for going N12 is to see what can be done with the latest technology to make the sound that zooms around and through my head.

Thank you for your answers and I hope we share more.

So I have to ask - Sound Particles - hype or real deal… :slight_smile: …s

1 Like

Not really… have to watch my d-live show, but it was more than a ms. Reproduced it last year on a convention.

I guess it’s some of both.

Have you seen this?

Hi St - Very interesting - I would love to try it once I get my N12 up and running. I am very pleased with my 9,1,4 setup. It is i the family room of my house and as the room is an open floor plan with high ceilings is has given me any acoustical issues. Yes I have a Larson Davis 3000+ to measure RT60 and other room characteristics. Each speaker including the ceiling are 1/3 octave tuned.

I like the video as it is very clear and easy to understand.

As per C3PO at the time my Eventide DDL only varied in 1ms steps. As F=1/t as Tony’s (Daniels) voice changed with each word I rocked and rolled the mag system and punched in each word to keep the effect.

The story behind it is when we built the first 1ms step delay I played with is in my studio (The Sound Exchange) and heard the, sound’s like you are in a tin garbage pail’ effect of a 1ms delay.

When we were pre-dubbing C3PO George (Lucas) described C3PO as an old droid like a tin can - my head was awhirl…Steve

I had Anthony on stage last September and recreated the effect with my Allen & Heath dLive console by adding a delayed signal to his voice. But I’m sure I used more than 1ms… something about 3 or 4ms.
Different possibilities now. :wink:

Chears, Steffen

Hi Stefan - if you see Tony again please say hi for me - he stayed with me before the films’ premiere.

You are right that many words took more than 1ms but 1ms was the smallest step at the time that the Eventide could make. So, a word could of taken 2ms, 3ms, or more as I am sure you observed. …Steve

If you would like to try Ambisonics create a 3rd Order Ambisonics group track in Nuendo and assign it to the stereo mix. Bring in a mono or stereo file onto an audio track and assign it to the Ambisonics group track. Put your headphones on, double click the audio track’s panner to bring up the panner window and pan it around while listening to it, thats it. You don’t need any extra software. To change or turn off the Ambisonics effect just click on the panner on the Ambisonics track to bring up the settings window.
I’ve been using this in stereo music mixes for awhile usually assigning bg vocals etc. if you’re going to master your songs just tell the mastering engineer about it and they will avoid using middle sides compression as that diminishes the effect. It is a lot of fun too. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you Wheels - I will for sure try using it. I have been reading papers and am curious as to what it sounds like. When I was recording I used a lot of x/y and am curious of how Ambisonics will treat it. I can see where it it may be fragile and shouldn’t be touched after applying. TY again…s

1 Like

I have some open backed Audio Technica ATH-AD1000. Once before they and the DAR binaural Renderer have tricked me into thinking the 7.1.4 speakers were still on. Another engineer I really respect (and with a very different head!) was similarly impressed with the binaural estimation of the sound field.

Fan’s of the HD650 might look down on them, but I find the AT’s really comfortable with a nice open top end. The HD650’s have always felt closed in sounding for me. There is a whole range of models in the current ATH line, from reasonably priced to eye watering :rofl:

My pusher i mean dealer recommend the beyerdynamic dt900 - If don’t like them i can send them back. As my main goal is headphone mixes i hope to amass a collection :slight_smile:

new Sony headphone available: 399

1 Like