Set Virtual Guitarist 2 content folder in Lion? / VG2 OSX 10

I downloaded the universal binary version of VG2, which seems to work find in Lion, but I cat get it to find its .wav files, styles, etc. VG2 was updated for universal binary (in '07, I believe), but the app which lets you set the location of the content folder is PowerPC only. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Pat

So the plugin itself works and only the program to set the content, doesn’t?
I would really like to know this.

I’m sure you can edit some pref file where the path should be written.

I have the exact same issue.

Any solution for that?

thanks,

Ofir

I got an answer from Steinberg Support: quote:

Dear Luc,

thank you for your email. I understand where you’re coming from, but please
also note that support for Virtual Guitarist 2 has been discontinued for quite a while now.

However, you can manually edit the path in Lion.

On your Macintosh HD where Lion is installed go to Library → Preferences and look for
“com.steinberg.Virtual Guitarist 2.plist”

Double-click the file to open it with the Property List Editor.
You should see one entry called “Data Path”. Alter the path to the one where you have installed the content,
e.g.

/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Virtual Guitarist 2 Content/

Then save the file and close the Property List Editor. Now Virtual Guitarist 2 should find its content.

If you have further questions feel free to contact me/us again.
Thanks!

Best regards,
Sebastian Moench

Steinberg Support

Does this help you? I am postponing updating to Lion untill I hear anything from you.

ofirkaner confirmed me today that this procrdure works! :smiley:

I confirm this solution works perfectly

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new MBP with Lion and reinstalled VG2. Curiously, the plist file was not found in library/preference after installation. I copied over the plist file from my old Macbook but it didn’t work. VG2 couldn’t find the content.

Any idea?

You need to copy it and then edit it as it detailed in the post.

Yes sir, I did that. I copied the plist file from my old Mac and edited it. It didn’t work.

In my plist files, I don’t see an entry named “data path”. It was just some gibberish and then the path itself. So I edited the path directly.

Nothing works. Sigh.

same problem

Any idea anyone? Or maybe you’d be so kind to send me your plist for testing?

Ok, solved the problem.

You need to use a plist editor such as Bare Bones Software | Download TextWrangler to edit the VG2 plist file. After that, it WORKS!

Hi all

I had a lot of trouble getting a com.steinberg.Virtual Guitarist 2.plist file because my old Macintosh HD crashed.
But now I am happy. My VG2 works fine.
I created a new (empty) com.steinberg.Virtual Guitarist 2.plist file in TextWrangler and pasted the following text in the newly created file (without the 2 lines)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> Data Path **/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Virtual Guitarist 2 Content/** *****************************

I changed the path to the corresponding path on my computer, saved and
copied the file to the Preferences folder.
Thats it… :wink:

Have fun…
Hartmut

Just wanted to say thanks to Jawadde and D-TOWN for the helpful info. Been tearing my hair out trying to get VG2 to work in Lion. And now it finally does. :mrgreen:

This even allowed me to get Lion to share the Virtual Guitarist data files with the VG2 installation on my Windows partition. :sunglasses:

Unfortunately it doesn’t work for me on my new imac (3.4 GHz Intel Core i7)…

I did as suggested and entered the following text in the com.steinberg.Virtual Guitarist 2.plist file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> Data Path /Volumes/Promise RAID/Virtual Instruments/Virtual Guitarist 2 Content/

I saved the file, got lots of hope…but the VG2 application still cannot find the VG2 content. Did I do something wrong ?

TTTTTHHHHAAAANNNNKKKKSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
after 20 days of searching the right solution you got it. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :bulb: :bulb: :bulb: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Also worked for me!!!

Very Happy :laughing:

Thanks D-TOWN !!

I got both Virtual guitarist and bassist to work in stand alone but they are not in the VST instrument list in Cubase 6.

I have other Instruments in the VST list.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

D-TOWN, You make my day…

Thanks…

One thing: I had to create the file on the desktop and move it then to /library/preferences because of authentication issues…

Regards
RBV

Tried this but unfortunately it didn’t work, VG2 still shows up as empty :frowning:

My library is on an external harddisk, would that cause any problems?