Setting up Novation LaunchControl XL faders to one Cubase track to control CCs

The Novation Launch Control XL with its Factory preset is set up for controlling 8 different tracks. The faders are set to each of control volume of each track. There is though a User option that you can program independently. What I’d like to do is set up CCs (for dynamics, expression, etc) for one track on the 8 faders to help me when recording a track to effect it live.

I have seen the Studio Setup Track Quick Controls, VST Quick Controls, and also the Quick Controls next to the track when it is chosen. I think I’ll have to setup a Transformer of Midi Inserts, with instructions for each fader, but I’ve started to get lost of how I’d let the transformer ‘learn’ what fader I’m referring to.

I’d appreciate if someone could help me with this.

Hi,

I would either go for the Quick Controls (if you are using the very same instrument/library) at all tracks. Or you can program Novation to send common MIDI CCs, which are very often in use to control these parameters. Like MIDI CC1, MIDI CC10, etc.

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for your help. I would prefer the version you mentioned to set Novation’s User to MIDI 7, 10, 11, etc, so I set the Launch Control XL Editor to save a new template with the first 3 faders to those MIDIs. But when I put it to use with the correct template updated I set it to record (flute at the time). What was odd was the first 2 didn’t have any effect (CC7 and CC11) but the third fader (CC10) did have effect but it turned up as Opus Hollywood Orchestra’s CC11 (Expression). Very confusing. I gather that East West has the MIDI CC hardwired but on the instrument itself under automation it has Expression down as CC11.

Anyway I’m thinking of getting the Behringer X-Touch which I think will simplify or at least speeden up some things.

Hi,

Could you add MIDI Monitor plug-in to your MIDI/Instrument track to monitor, what MIDI data do you really send to the Instrument, please?

Make sure, you are no using any MIDI Transformer, please.

Modulation (MIDI CC1) is also very often use to control the expression nowadays.

Hi Martin,

I checked with the MIDI Monitor and it showed that Fader 1 that I’d set (and checked with the template that it is still set to 7, came out as MIDI 77, the Fader 2 that was set to 11 came out as 78 and Fader 3 set to 10 came out as 11 Expression.

I also checked that Transformer was off (it had no coding in it either).

Hi,

Could you verify, you set the Novation properly? For example any 3rd party MIDI Monitor (or MIDI-OX for Windows) Did you store the settings and did you upload it to the Novation hardware?

Hi Martin,

I’ve got Cubase setup (in Studio Setup) to Mackie HUI under remote devices with MIDI Input set to MININ2 (Launch Control XL) and MIDI Output set to MIDIOUT2 (Launch Control XL). Is that what you were referring to?

Hi,

If you start to use Mackie HUI, then you will be able to control the mix faders. But I believe, this is something different from your goal.

I would recommend to stay with the plain MIDI data.

Hi Martin,

Yeah, with Mackie HUI MIDIIN2 (Launch Control XL) and MIDIOUT2 (Launch Control XL) the Factory mixers (volume on the mixing desk of the channels) works, but not with simply Launch Control XL and Launch Control XL or All MIDI Inputs. I checked though and with the User it always stays the same Fader 1 (CC7) turns out as CC77, Fader 2 (CC11) as CC78 and Fader 3 (CC10) as CC11.

Thanks for your help Martin, I don’t seem to be making much progress and don’t want to take up too much of your time here.

Hi,

By default, MIDI CC77 is in use for the VST Quick Control. But not MIDI CC78. I’m just wondering, if any of the Quick Controls are somehow involved.

Hi Martin,

Ah right. I don’t know. Looking at the Track Quick Controls and the VST Quick Controls neither seems to be programmed to those specific numbers.

Hi,

Then set the Quick Controls MIDI Input to Not Connected, please.

Hi Martin,

I set Mackie HUI, Track Quick Controls, VST Quick Controls all to MIDI Input and Output to Not Connected but I’m still getting 77,78, 11. I tried restarting Cubase Pro and restarting Novation Launch Control XL. Same result from MIDI Monitor. I’m thinking if the problem is with Novation Launch Control XL. I’ll attach a shot of the Novation User (I’ve only setup the first 3 faders).

Hi,

Did you upload this to your LaunchControl hardware, please? Did you select the correct preset on the hardware then?

Hi Martin,

I created it in Launch Control XL, User 1 (of 8), then saved it as a template from Launch Control XL Editor. When I’ve got Cubase running, I upload the template again, and it shows me the above image with those 3 faders set to those MIDI CCs.

Hi,

Sorry, I don’t know the Launch Control XL Editor, but I expect, you have to send the change to the hardware somehow. Maybe via the Device > Save?

Yeah, that’s where I save it as a template - Device: Save

Hi,

Are you sure this function transmit the new settings to the hardware?

Hi Martin,

Yeah, after putting it on User 1 and uploading it I got it to show me the output (the diagram above) and it showed me the fader 1 C7, fader 2 C11, fader 3 C10 as in that image.

Hi,

I’m sorry, I’m going out of ideas.