Shape-note spacing error?

In the example below, which uses Aiken 7-shape, the two right-triangle notes in unison on fa display as a rectangle, which looks like the shape for la.

Is this intentional? The obvious solution is to manually adjust each instance so there is a slight space between them. Just wondering what the best practice is here for unison fa shapes, and if there’s room for a change.

PS: I posted this on MET as well; I’ll see what others say.

I found an example in a modern shape-note hymnal. This seems to make sense to me.

1 Like

Until Dorico handles this situation automatically, you could create a new notehead set and add a new notehead consisting of noteShapeTriangleLeftBlack (U+E1B7) with the Stem down NW set to (0.10, 0.50). Then select the downstem fa note and change it to use the new notehead set and change the voice column index to 0.

Aiken

Thanks, I ended up just setting the opacity of the lower note to 0, which had the intended effect.

1 Like

I find shape note hymnals fascinating. Out of curiosity, would you mind saying what denomination you’re designing this for?

It’s a small Mennonite congregation that loves to sing!

I figured it might be Mennonite. I live in northern indiana in Mennonite/Amish country (to the point that we have horses and buggies tied up outside of Walmart). The local college choir (Mennonite college) is phenomenal. These kids really know how to sing!

Indeed! This isn’t the same church, but here’s a Mennonite choir with some connection to the church I’m working with. Glorious. Like A River Glorious by Oasis Chorale - YouTube

2 Likes

The oasis chorale is great. I’ve enjoyed a number of their videos. Just discovered them recently, in fact.

Just a follow-up to say that the correct solution (according to all the shape-note people) is to make the voices share the same notehead.

In order to work around this, I have to export in color at present, which I don’t prefer. So this is an official request to modify the behavior of the “fa” shape when shared by multiple voices. Thanks.

1 Like

If you used the workaround I gave earlier in this topic, you wouldn’t have to export in color.

So I am currently trying to work around this issue. I successfully used the change-opacity workaround, but then as Dan mentioned, I have to export it as a color graphic, which is frustrating.

I’m somewhat green with Dorico, and John’s suggestion sounds pretty complicated. Any other workarounds, or news on this issue?

Welcome to the forum. There’s no change in this functionality at present.

Can you say a bit more about why it’s not ideal for you to export in color? I found it was easy to work around by changing my color profile in InDesign. As I’m sure you know, there’s typically no discernable difference, as long as you can navigate pre-flight correctly.

Thanks Dan! Good to be here!

I like to use the scale function under print, that’s the only thing I’m missing. Probably if I learned more about the graphic export options I could do the same thing there?

You should absolutely use the graphic export function and create the PDF from that, even if your goal is to print immediately. Plenty of users print directly, but I always prefer to work with PDFs.

Don’t “print” to PDF; you may get sub-par results.

Ok, thanks for the tip! I’ll definitely try that.

Many thanks,

1 Like