Shortcut for artificial harmonics? (in general shortcuts for all properties?)

Hey dear all,

I am using artificial harmonics very often, so I wonder whether any of you knows a way, how one could create a shortcut for lets say “create a fourth harmonic”

Right now this takes always some clicks (in properties panel activating “type: artificial” and then setting “partial: 4”)
Is there any way, one could speed up this proces, for example through the genius new quick command panel (“j”) ?

I think if this is somehow possible, it would be absolutely amazing, if one could link ALL the features that one sees in the property panel with a possible individual key command. Because then everybody could set its individual commands, that one needs.

OR: even better I think would be a kind of popup function for harmonics.

Lets say one opens the quick command bar ( J )and then types in

• “harm 0” or “harmonic 8” it will create a natural harmonic
  • “harm 4” would create an artificial fourth harmonic
    -“harm 5” would create an artificial fifth harmonic etc.
    -“noharm” “noharmonic” or “natural” would deactivate the harmonics property and make it a normal note again
  • if desired one could also distinguish between naturalharmonics “natharm” or artificial harmonics “artharm”
  • and similarly like with trills, one could keep these commands to change the harmonic, lets say one alread has a fourthharmonic but wants to change it to a fifth harmonic, one just selects the note, types “J artharm 5” then it changes the note to a fifth harmonic

I think this would incredibly improve the workflow for music, that uses a lot of harmonics.

3 Likes

We do indeed plan to make it possible to specify harmonics via the Shift+P popover, but I can’t say exactly when this will be done.

2 Likes

amazing, thanks daniel!

Use scripting and add a key command through an external app like custom key commands or keyboard maestro

1 Like

Hi Queb, I’ve been wanting to use Keyboard Maestro to do this, but I can’t figure it out. There doesn’t seem to be any way to select the harmonic functions without using the mouse, and depending on if you have a single or multiple selection the visual location of the harmonics controls changes (and even worse, on my monitor, they’re so far to the right that I have to scroll to see them - especially problematic for KM if I’m making it do things by mouse clicking!) Do you know of any way to access harmonics without the mouse?

I just want to bump this idea with Shift+P, because I also use harmonics frequently, and the current system of digging around in the properties panel is very cumbersome!

You need to make a macro with the lua scripting function. It’s been made a bit more useful in 5, but I didn’t had time to try it check the version history

I’m still on Dorico 4 (tried googling Dorico 5 and Lua or Scripting, but didn’t see anything new pop up). Hitting the “record macro” and then navigating and applying the harmonics appears to have a bug, unfortunately (which I’ve figured out a workaround!)

For whatever reason, recording the macro doesn’t catch the part regarding partials (it fails to toggle, nor set the desired partial). Or, more precisely, the Lua code appears to have the command for it, but it doesn’t execute. However, if you make a second macro, just for the partials, it WILL work! So, with one macro to engage the artificial harmonic function, and a second macro to define the partial choice, this completely works. I’ve now setup Keyboard Maestro with a key command that just runs both scripts in sequence, so I have instant harmonics now. I can’t express how excited I am to have this working!

For anyone interested in doing what I’ve done here (@GAM) here’s the Lua codes.

For engaging harmonics:
local app=DoApp.DoApp()
app:doCommand([[UI.InvokePropertyChangeValue?Type=kNoteHarmonicType&Value=string: “kArtificial”]])

And for defining the partial (in this case, touch 4):
local app=DoApp.DoApp()
app:doCommand([[UI.InvokePropertyChangeValue?Type=kNoteHarmonic&Value=int: 4]])

Just save these as two scripts at (on Mac) User/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico/Script Plug-ins

I just thought I’d update that with Dorico 5, my macro actually works properly now and doesn’t require being split into 2. So if you take both above commands and put them in a single macro (in Dorico 5), it will work.

1 Like