Silent, up-to-date graphics card?

Hi guys,
I’m toying with the idea of building a new computer for music production, and I’m wondering what graphics cards are out there. Here’s my requirements:

1. Silent
  2. Multi-monitor capable, future-proof (no VGA and the like)
  3. No gaming necessary

So, what’s out there that you could recommend? Integrated graphics is no option (used it to great success in the past though!), since I’m leaning towards Ryzen 9 without graphics.

Thx,
Benji

I recently asked myself that same question!
The most horsepower I found so far in a silent/passive gfx card is this one:

ASUS GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5 (GT1030-2G-CSM)

According to NVIDIA, this chip is plenty capable of driving a 4k monitor, but the spec of the card itself is quite useless! And I found only speculations on 4k on various forums…

It’s only about $100, so I’m considering buying one to test it myself…
The DVI-D connection is limited to 2560x1600 (2k) but the HDMI output could in theory do 4k and even 8k.

Some other cards have active fans that completely halt when the workload is "light enough ". A nifty idea, but I don’t trust it to not switch back on at a bad moment! Murphey’s law…

Please keep us informed of your findings.

Ref.:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/gt-1030/specifications/
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Graphics-Cards/ASUS/GT1030-2G-CSM/

Hey Y-D!
I found this, looks promising for multi-monitor setups:

GT710-4H-SL-2GD5|Graphics Cards|ASUS USA

Apparently it’s some kind of reissue, but with 4xHDMI!
When it’s time, I might spring for this… :wink:

Benji

Thanks for the update/suggestion.

Food for thought…
What about no GPU card at all and using only a (good!) docking station?!?
At minimum something like the one I pasted below. (countless options out there!!)
You can then swap your entire station, incl. two 4k monitors, kbd+mouse, ilok dongles, and UR-C interface, etc. between your desktop rig and laptop(s)…
Lousy performances for gaming, but should be fine for DAW-like workloads.
Why not?.. :upside_down_face:

I’ve thought about that as well, but rather like the idea of a powerful production machine that can handle any type of VST load with low latency and multiple drives for docs, audio and samples. I’ve got a nice Intel EVO-spec Ultrabook at the moment with Thunderbolt 4, but unfortunately that is too weak for the things I’m usually doing…

B.

I was thinking of using such a docking station with your main ‘desktop’ PC or workstation, not necessarily needs to be with a laptop.
You just need a USB-C port out of your new PC/workstation.
To quickly being able to swap your setup from your workstation to your laptop (or even iPad Pro!) is just icing on the cake.

Just an fyi - you should not expect an audio interface to work properly through a dock such as this one or any of the Dell Thunderbolt docks.