Single keystroke for upbow/down bow marks?

Is is possible to replace an articulation in the notes panel so I can input downbow or upbow with a keystroke?

Not directly, but this is how to modify your Key Command file: Adding key commands to Dorico using JSON - YouTube

Thanks Dan, very good suggestion and I will try it.
Perhaps we can suggest to the team that they look at making the Notes Panel customisable-- most users I think have a set of favorite note articulations that they would like to have quick access to. At least for string players, we have to put in hundreds of bowing marks in a typical score.

I agree, but really easy to use this method to assign something like 1 to upbow and 2 to downbow!

Yes but I know myself: I will have forgotten by next week which keystroke went with which symbol… are the json changes reflected in the key command menu so I can check them?
Not to mention the dangers inherent in editing a system file which is not meant to be touched by mere mortals.
But again thanks for giving such a lucid explanation.

It’s also easy to Alt-click to copy a selected technique to another note. This can even be done with several techniques in a pattern all at once.

2 Likes

Yes, Sibelius was the first to implement that and I use it a lot! But Sibelius also let us add bowings with one key…
Anyhow I am overall happy with Dorico, and glad I am not using Sibelius (or the hideous workflow in Finale or Notator).

At the risk of being contentious. If you’re looking to have bowings just a keystroke away, then (speaking as a string player) your scores probably have too many.

(cf the many threads about the wisdom or otherwise of including harp pedal changes)

1 Like

not necessarily, I’m in the same situation actually but for dead notes as well and have requested that before, that we could setup a key command for dead notes because it’s extremely used in guitar and when I’m in Guitar pro I just have to press x for instance to input a dead note on a string when inside the tab, which I’d like to be able to do in Dorico (same with upstrokes and downstrokes, in Guitar pro I just have to press shift + U or shift + D to add them).
The reason you’re probably not thinking about by making this assumption is that lots of us are teachers as well and I use a lot up and down strokes in scores for my students so that they know how to play some new or difficult passages.

Dead notes have a meaning, so, yes, each should be individually marked. But string bowing is different.
Yes, I agree instructional material is different, but exercises are usually short.

It’s not just exercises, down and up strokes apply to the picking technique on guitar as well and not only strings, and for my students I don’t only write exercises but transcribe full songs for them so sometimes there are many passages for which they need to see the picking direction (depending on their level/proficiency), especially when making them work on hard guitar solos like Steve Vai, Satriani, Petrucci ones, some students need those indications, although of course my end goal as a teacher is that they can figure them out by themselves, but that’s an other story…
Even in exercises anyway I’m not making one pdf per exercise and often create full files of exercises on a particular topic so yes, I very often use up and down strokes indications

I’m sure you do - but I doubt you would indicate every instance of every pattern…

nope but that’s not the point of the topic, which is some of us very often use specific techniques/indications and in order to minimize clicks and wasted time going to the bottom panel we’d just like to setup our custom key commands for those techniques/indications

Sorry, I alt-click to copy these marks. Quick and efficient.

1 Like

Well, perhaps there is such a thing as too many bowings! But in my case, I am writing for top professionals, there is little time for rehearsal and having to stop to coordinate a bowing with other sections (in the thing I am composing at the moment we have up to twenty different string lines) is something I do not want to happen during rehearsal if possible. The bowing marks go in only when they are really necessary, and since I need to work in galley mode (who works on a composition in page mode??) the requisite bowing mark is probably not visible and I would have to scroll back to find one to copy-- a waste of time under these circumstances.
Hence my appeal for a customisable Notes Panel.
I am not afraid of using Dan Kreiders “Hack the JSON” method–I am fairly savvy, I also write apps for Mac and IOS – but know that implementing a change to the customising capabilities should not be horribly difficult and would make quite a few people happy.

Dan, I set up my shortcuts using your brilliant hack this morning, thanks again!
It took quite a bit longer than expected, because I was setting it up on a Mac with a German keyboard (mapped to English because the factory shortcuts work better that way)-- unfortunately Apple (in its infinite wisdom) has an absolutely appalling system of keyboard mapping where some keys are mapped by character and others by position on the keyboard. Why? No idea.
Anyhow, should someone else ask about this (there are a lot of Dorico users in Germany): not all keys on the Mac can accept shortcuts and there does not seem to be a lot of logic to the choices. (My present theory is that the character has to exist on both the US and other language keyboard, AND it cannot be any of the symbol keys.) Trial and error is called for, and because so many keys are already assigned functions it can be hard to find free ones.

Anybody who uses Dorico professionally needs a Stream Deck, in my opinion. At least, it changed my life with Dorico for the better…
You can thank me later!

B.

Interesting, I had not seen Stream Deck before. But the subscription model frightens me and it is not clear if I have to pay separately for Dorico and Sibelius and for Mac and Windows… can you tell me that?

You could assign 1 and 2 as the popover commands for upbow and downbow, which would make them a bit faster. Don’t forget Alt-click to copy-paste the selected item, too.

As an alternative to Stream Deck, you can take a look at a Lua scripting approach that I recently introduced. Especially since you already got accustomed to the tricky bit (keycommand editing via JSON), it might be worth your while. You could set up two ‘tools’ for the playing techniques by adding this (which I just copied from a quickly recorded macro; it’s probably possible in a less verbose way):

addTool("add up bow",  [[UI.InvokePaletteButton?PaletteIndicatorID=kPlayingTechniquePanel.pta.stringsUpBow&PaletteSectionID=kPlayingTechniquesStringsPanel&PropertyButton=false&SetOldValue=false&Set=true&UseLocalOverride=0]])
addTool("add down bow",[[UI.InvokePaletteButton?PaletteIndicatorID=kPlayingTechniquePanel.pta.stringsDownBow&PaletteSectionID=kPlayingTechniquesStringsPanel&PropertyButton=false&SetOldValue=false&Set=true&UseLocalOverride=0]])

… to the framework’s tool setup file.

Incidentally, I hope to publish a Lua library in a short while that will make it quite trivial to add things like Playing Techniques with your own keycommands, and even changing at a whim the items to be created with a key.

2 Likes