Skinny Scrollbars Stink

+1. The GUI of Cubase has progressively gotten worse through the years. Not only are the scrollbars minuscule, the mousewheel scrolling can get messed up depending on what you hover over. Try it in the inspector, try it on the mixer, try it on the insert plugin list, try it…sometimes you scroll, sometimes you inadvertently adjust some random parameter, such as a send level, sometimes nothing seems to happen. The whole hover over to reveal more info is a mess. The general GUI Cubase look is fine IMO but in use it can be a real pain. Please Steinberg, listen to your users and hire a GUI expert. Preferably someone who actually uses DAW software.

I DID get some useful information on this thread:

and

For -me- those are not alternatives. The virtue of normal scrollbars is that you can put your mouse -anywhere- along the timeline and it goes -there-. Those alternatives are for moving from the current position. Totally different thought process. Or rather… they force me to -think- (about navigation)… which I do NOT want to do when I’m trying to concentrate on THE MUSIC.

The scrollbars are ‘thoughtless’… your hand just automatically ‘goes’ to where the music is.

I agree… :slight_smile:

Regards :sunglasses:

EXACTLY! I rarely ever use scrollbars; I ALWAYS use the mouse scroll ball (or at least, I used to). I would love to be able to scroll horizontally and vertically in the mixer as we can in the arrange window! (As I previously proposed, some sort of modifier key to allow us to “safely” use the mouse ball while hovered anywhere over the mixer.)

Asking for better scroll bars recalls to mind Henry Ford’s old quip about “If I had asked people what they wanted, they’d have said faster horses.” Scroll bars are pretty crap even when they’re good, a relic of a bygone era. If you want big fat scrollbars (and everything else) everywhere, you get Studio One, which is not at all my cup of tea. I find Cubase such a pleasure to work with precisely because its so good at getting all the secondary and tertiary stuff out of the way so I can focus on whats of primary importance – and things like scrollbars are very much secondary.

Cubase isn’t perfect – what is – but sometimes I see passionate complaints/requests that make me wonder why Cubase can’t be Cubase, and instead needs to be SAWStudio with a dongle.

+1

It should be a preference choice.

It sold be a smart usable GUI, that conforms to some sort of windows standard. Cubase gui is just not done right. Not bad looking but terrible to navigate, click fest. Zero touch support, etc.

+1 for bigger scroll bars and the arrows

+1!

Skinny scrollbars do stink. They really do. :laughing:

I swear, because of this thread, every time I have to use the scroll bar, I think of that saying. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Suntower wrote:

It usually takes 3-4 =years= before a company will fess up to something like this. I dunno if it’s stubbornness or not wanting to hurt Dave’s feelings or -what-. But SB just isn’t known for admitting mistakes.

Well, maybe the fact that they moved this thread into the light of the General forum is a step in right direction. It took a thread just like this one to help kill off the unbelievably miserable “edge pop-ups”…which, mercifully, didn’t take 3-4 years to do.

One can dream.

But (paraphrasing my old boss) “NEVER underestimate SB’s ability to market Kentucky Fried Chicken as ‘hot. dead. bird.’”

:smiley:

+1
Nothing more to add…

I don’t mind slim scrollbars (I use a trackball) but I wouldn’t mind having arrows.

I also wrote to NI about this but was ignored so I don’t expect much of a response in this area; it seems the expectation is you will get a big monitor.

:laughing:

+1

I support the older style scrollbars as well. Yet another example where most users were happy with Cubase6/7 era versions and changed for no real apparent reasons.

cheers

What do you scrollbar connoisseurs think of Reaper’s scrollbars? They took the middle road.

For reference, from my feature request for resizeable scrollbars:

They look nice and practical IMHO