Slash region handle selection really annoying?

Jeepers, sorry to keep up the negativity. I assure you I have almost nothing but great things to say about Dorico - I guess it’s super jarring when something doesn’t work well because I’m getting so used to it being great!

Does anyone else have problems selecting the handles of slash regions sometimes? Often as I click the handle Dorico just selects the bar number instead which leads me to do an RSI inducing dance going back and forth to try and drag the handle. After a while I can usually get it but it’s pretty annoying! Has anyone else had this problem?

I often need to make adjustments as the form changes in an arrangement and this is pretty frustrating after a while. I usually end up just deleting the slashes and remaking them. Hardly the intended design.

Best.

Z to zoom in, X to zoom out when the deed is done. It’s the cure for what ails most of these sorts of woes.

Makes no difference at all on my end. Even all the way in to 1600%… Not to mention how annoying that would be from a workflow perspective of trying to see where you are dragging to.

Hi fhrw, sorry you’re having trouble with selecting slash region handles. On the off-chance you weren’t already aware, you can also lengthen/shorten slash regions using the key commands for lengthening/shortening: Shift-Alt/Opt-Left arrow for shorten, Shift-Alt/Opt-Right arrow for lengthen. These work when any part of a slash region is selected, doesn’t have to be one of the end handles. Dragging the handles can be faster than the key command method, although that depends on the rhythmic grid resolution.

Same here. Two out of three times I can’t drag region handles - either for slash regions or for repeat endings. Zooming in doesn’t help.

Shift-Alt-Arrows do work (after I google for the correct shortcut), but this needs to be fixed.

Uri

I’m having the same issue, when I try to click the small red circle to drag the slash region, Dorico instead selects the barline. However the keyboard shortcut works - so I’m extending by a quaver or so to get it out of the way of the barline and from that position I’m able to click and drag it.

FWIW, I’ve mentioned that to Daniel already quite a while ago, and he acknowledged the problem. Let’s see what comes of this…

Benji

My experience is that it’s not so difficult to get the resize handle, but:

• Since the object snaps only to barlines, you have to drag a very specific, possibly long distance in order to see any visual feedback.
  • Also there may be significant lag, when resizing a region affects the system formatting.

The combination of these things can make it feel as if you’re not dragging anything and you missed the handle. I often have to drag to where I know it should go and just wait a long moment to see the result, before I let go.

Nope, that’s not it. I’ve tried everything.

B.

Been wondering about this as well. Strangely, Shift/Alt-Right & Left Arrow don’t work for me. And I can’t get the little red circle to appear in the middle of a slash region when I want to delete just a couple of bars of slashes in a long slash region. Highlighting the bars I want to clear and pressings Delete clears an entire section of slashes. The only solution at the moment is to delete the entire slash region and re-enter it manually, leaving out the bars in the middle of the region into which I want to enter notes

Edit: Whoa! Just noticed that Shift/Alt - Arrows does something! It adds a second slash in slash bars later in the score! But that didn’t seem to happen in the Full Score, only in a Part

Use U to cut slash regions. We’ve had this conversation before, here: Possible anomaly re: slash regions

Thanks so much for the link.

I’ve tried that. It sort of works after playing around for a while, but here’s the result. I can’t get the one slash in bar 76 to disappear. As you can see I’ve clicked on it and clicked U and the slash I want to get rid of is highlighted, but when I try to use Shift/Alt-Arrow to get rid of it, it actually starts adding extra slashes in Bar 83.

I can’t tell where exactly you’ve cut the slash region - it may or may not be a sensible place. I can tell you that Shift-Alt-arrows only ever alter the length of an item at the right end. You can use Alt-Left/Right to move the whole thing left and right; there’s no keyboard shortcut to extend or contract the left end of an item. This is consistent across everything of variable length: notes, dynamics, slurs etc.

Okay, that helps. I’ll play with it and see if I can figure it out

EDIT: For anyone reading this, it turns out that a sensible place to highlight a slash is not the last slash at the right in the region you want to cut out but the one on the right of that, even if that slash is on the other side of a repeat sign or whatever.