So tired of Cubase bugs on little things! (Create Using Track Preset tree empty)

Bug of the day… but for now, can someone help me try to fix this?
I’m simply trying to create a track using custom VST Track Preset I created…
I’m hoping someone can help me troubleshoot this back to normal.

Hi,

I have seen this here on the forum already. Try to search for it. Unfortunately I don’t remember the solution, sorry.

Could you try in the Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please?

Hi Martin, while starting in safe mode is not a solution, it did possibly provide a clue.

I was able to get to my custom vst track presets easily, like so:

It first showed up like this with disabled preferences:

I then selected my TrackPreset Instrument folder and adjusted the view.

Could this have anything to do with the fact that I had saved this location as a FAVORITE?
I was experiencing the same inside the Media Tab.

After restarting Cubase in normal state, it’s still showing the corrupted view. I right-clicked the corrupt folder icon on the top left and got this:

ISSUE Track Preset Tree BUG - Right-Clicking the corrupt folder icon

Hi,

Could you attach the mentioned *.dmp file, please?

Cubase 11.0.20.371 64bit 2021.5.29 7.52.23.447.dmp (683.8 KB)

Hi,

Reported to Steinberg. Thank you.

Hi,

Could you please open Defaults.xml (located in the Cubase Preferences folder) in a TextEditor and seach for:

<string name="Group" value="mediaBrowserAddTrackDialogTrackTemplate"/>

in that item, what are location and browseRoot set to?

Example

<string name="location" value="All Media/User Content/Track Presets/Audio" wide="true"/>
               <string name="browseRoot" value="All Media" wide="true"/>

Cubase Preferences folders are:
Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase X
Win: %appData% Steinberg/Cubase X_64

Hi Martin - this is mine:

<string name="location" value="All Media/User Content/Track Presets/Instruments/Cinematic Studio Brass" wide="true"/>
           <string name="browseRoot" value="" wide="true"/>

I notice yours points to Audio… mine to Instruments…
Hmmm, please advise…

Hi, I’m not sure if this will help, but if I remember correctly the thread similar to this, the user got the type file mixed up as there are multiple kinds of preset files you can save load in Cubase. Maybe you can explain the source track and try and make sure (if not already) that it is the right type for the right job?
Next, ofc, then make sure you have the saved location correct, and Mediabay has that folder selected and it is scanned, and deep folder is also selected in MediaBay
(just some basic checking)
ty

Hi,

Please, change the

<string name="browseRoot" value="" wide="true"/>

to the

<string name="browseRoot" value="All Media" wide="true"/>

This is actually the bug, it always must be the “All Media”. It would be interesting to know, how did you get to this state.

1 Like

Thanks Martin - confirming the fix you provided.

As far as how I got to this point, I wish I knew. I know that I did set the Instruments as a Favorite location. I also know that I may have changed at some point the naming of Instruments to Instrument (or vice versa) but I think I had checked to make sure everything was working fine…

So if I wanted to have a different starting location for this dialog box - such as a Favorite, do I need to change the All Media value to something else directly in the xml?

Hi,

I haven’t tried this. And I don’t think, this is the official way.

In Cubase 13 this is still an issue and and it is making me crazy. I do the fix as seen above but every other week it craps out and i have to do it again. Steinberg please fix this! :frowning: