So very disappointing.

I would love to see new arpeggiator. The current one really sucks. I mean, being able to create your own patterns etc would be nice. Nexus has one of the best arpeggiators I have ever used. Also VPS Avenger. Kirnu is pretty nice too.

THIS is absolutely not a toy… :wink:

new Analyzer Tool:

luv it !!

“we”?
calling people who have a different opinion fanboys hardly qualifies… I’m sure everybody but me loves the UI since it’s never on top of the wish-lists

As I said, the only thing that disappoint me is the price of the update, not the update itself, which I found very interesting in many ways.

BUT due to COVID-19, my financial incomes have been reduced to… zero ! And of course, you know perfectly that I’m not the only one ! Many artists, engineers and technicians that depends on live shows and events, venues and theaters, are now in great difficulty and suffers from this big crisis.

In my dreams, I was hoping that Steinberg could make a sympathetic, empathic gesture directed to all people hardly affected by this situation, but I see that it was only a dream, time to wake up, adios Steinberg !

Everyone suffers, including Steinberg. Steinberg can’t shut down to give handouts… They aren’t your government…

Our government let the culture die. The only one that makes BIG, ENORMOUS profits from this situation is this F… Amazon from hell !

I think it’s a great update, totally worth the money. Steinberg has to make money to pay their amazing programmers, and each one of these features cost hundreds or thousands of man-hours to develop. Is it perfect? No. It will never be perfect. We will never get 100% of what we want. But for $100 you get some great workflow improvements and very valuable plugin updates that make Cubase/Nuendo even more professional, totally worth the cost. YMMV of course.

As a Nuendo user (and former long-time Cubase user, and user of several other DAWs including Studio One, Bitwig, Reaper, Pro Tools when absolutely needed), I am excited to see this update to Cubase and I am especially looking forward to seeing the new “SuperVision” in Nuendo… that’s easily worth the price right there IMO. I will be upgrading my Nuendo license right away when these features will be available for Nuendo 11 (hopefully in the next couple of months?) The Dynamic EQ addition is also very much appreciated. Just look up how much a good quality dynamic EQ costs, and now Cubase looks like it has an excellent one to compete with. Looking forward to trying it out too. Frequency 2 is worth the money right there for anyone who values quality EQ and has compared it to many similar third party EQ plugins.

When you factor in that they are including Imager, SpectraLayers One, nice improvements to the score editor, composition refinements, export improvements (can’t wait for that feature in Nuendo too), surround delay, etc… that’s a bunch of great work totally worth the upgrade price IMO, and most of it programmed during the pandemic. I’ll give them some kudos for this. Oh I forgot the bezier stuff in the key editor, very nice.

I don’t need the sampler improvements and some of the other stuff, and everyone has different things like that they don’t need or want, but those things are all still welcome. And as for variable DPI support, it’s about time, yes, but I’m not going to complain about how long it took. I know a number of developers and talk with them about how difficult some tasks are, and that their users simply don’t understand why some things take so long… I know developers who are still struggling with these kinds of graphics issues… just look at what Waves just did and how long it took. You have to understand that those kinds of graphics framework changes are extremely time-consuming programming tasks that rely upon many years of trusted legacy cross-platform codebase dependencies and programming frameworks, and it takes a lot of programming time to replace and update those old frameworks to new frameworks, while STILL maintaining the performance profile that the users will want. It requires an enormous amount of testing against hardware, drivers, plugins, etc… A single change in a graphics framework can break a lot of other things. So while most end users wonder why some seemingly simple feature like variable DPI takes so long, I’ve come to learn that that is NOT simple. Especially factor in the switch to Apple Metal for those Mac users who have been frustrated for so long. That’s a huge effort right there. Not to mention Steinberg is no doubt dealing with Apple Silicon issues right now too, hence the push to come on board with Apple Metal. etc… and on Windows it’s no walk in the park either. So it’s great to see Steinberg has finally done this, and no doubt it will require more refinement.

Anyway, aside from the rocky launch this morning, this is great sign from Steinberg and I look forward to having all these features show up in Nuendo. Steinberg is under huge pressure from competition in a very tight market, and their Hamburg DAW cousins over at Presonus are also doing a great job (Studio One 5 is outstanding BTW). Nice to see the competition in Germany pushing each other, and we all get to benefit from it.

I did give them some latitude with the HIDPI stuff on account of things like OS level changes being beyond their control or ability to plan for, that much I can’t totally fault them for, even if they’ve been slower on the uptake compared to some of their competitors. But since, like you said, Windows 7 was already off the table at update 10.5, I don’t really get what prevented them from taking whatever changes they made to the 10.5 source code to add in the new scalability on their way to the 11 update and just putting that in a maintenance update.

My guess is that since they were working on other features concurrently, they just got lazy and didn’t want to separate the fix for HIDPI (and ARA, assuming that’s actually working right in 11) from the rest of the stuff they had already added. While I understand that it’s extra work for them, as far as I see it, the money they got for previous updates from users who were promised those features should be considered deferred revenue (to the extent that those features added value which they charged for) to which they still owed an obligation.

Getting to the heart of it, I kind of see it as a shady business practice, and ultimately it’s a moral issue. I don’t really like the precedent that they can say they added something big and special, and then when it doesn’t actually work (say they rushed it, for instance), you have to give them more money.

Yes, but there’s also wages to be paid at Steinberg, so it’s not so easy to half their income as a ‘goodwill’ measure is it? You’d end up with no finances, and they would have software to sell as they can’t afford to keep afloat. Their yearly paid update cycle is critical for them.

It is frustrating and it has been a tough year, but when you look what they’ve done for the Artist version that’s already a gesture of goodwill in my eyes.

if i were buying Cubase today i’d probably settle for Artist, in fact, there’s nothing stopping me from selling Pro and downgrading to Artist if finances were an immediate issue. It has Variaudio, and ARA support and that’s the main reason i went with Pro. It’s only Control Room that i’d miss right now.

If you’re on the highest tier, maybe review if it’s still absolutely necessary for you to be there if your financial situation has changed - Steinberg have at least made this an option, and a very positive change IMO.

I think it was probably up in the air as to whether 10.5 would be Windows 7 compatible or not - the only thing that doesn’t work on Windows 7 in 10.5 is video export.

My guess is, Cubase 11 is truly the first total actual break from Windows 7 compatibility.

Well, another reason to wait for future versions is that the eLicenser isn’t working. I decided to upgrade on a whim this morning after receiving an email about the v11 release and now I don’t even know if I’m going to be able to get anything done today.

Please. Please. Don’t get me started in this.

Have they fixed Cubase to run on more than 14 physical cores in 11? no mention of that.

there is something vague on the SB website about increased performance with more than 8 cores…who knows ?

Hi,

It’s like this for years already. X.5 updates are always cheaper than X+1 updates.

Well that sounds like corporate doublespeak for ‘no’, if they had fixed it they would be crowing about it.

ATM I have 4 cores disabled in my BIOS otherwise my projects dissolve into a jerky, click and pop mess.

off topic(ish) - if you are running at very low latencies (32 samples for example) you are better turning off hyperthreading, the performance should be better in most cases. You might find some plugins need re authorising (Plugin alliance I’m looking at you).

Yeah I’ve tried that, but actually found disabling 4 cores gave better results, I run at 64 samples. Thanks for the heads up though.

No chance I’m upgrading for that price until I know if that basic functionality has been fixed for definite.

Even then, I shouldn’t have to pay to get functionality that should have been patched.

I would have liked to see the multiple track freeze issue be fixed. This seems to be a pretty important thing in order to make freeze a usable resource.

I don’t get the “simpler stems” part. It seems like that was pretty well developed already. 10.5 allowed you to easily export stems.

I’m sure some would like the scale assist, but…?

The other stuff seems pretty cool, but it won’t really improve my work speed. Many of the adds are simply things you can do w/ other VST plugins and those of us that wanted those features, bought those plugins already. My personal hope is for them to focus on things that tied to the DAW, like freeze (why can’t we freeze more than one track at a time?), or how they deal w/ adjusting hit points (Melodyne is much easier to work with, but I’d love the ability to have that particular VST integrated like the time stretch aspects of Cubase. I hate forgetting I’ve already Melodyned a track and wondering why adjustments to other effects are not working.)

Anyway, easier interaction w/ the time stretch and mostly Multiple Channel Freeze would be the reasons I’d get happy.

I think people perceive the price in relation to how many of the new features are relevant to them. At the moment only the bezier curves in the MIDI editor are of interest to me, so 100€ for that doesn’t feel like a good bargain to me. I really don’t need more plugins, rarely use the Score editor, the sampler track and don’t need no scale assistant because I usually - not always :slight_smile: - know what I’m doing.
But for some people the integrated SpectralLayers feature might be worth the price of admission alone.

What really upset me a bit that the update from earlier Cubase version (starting from Cubase 4!!) is only ~€160!. So I paid for every update in the past few years which accumulates to several hundred euros, and someone just updating from C4 pays literally nothing?? That really feels very unfair!