Sound Not Playing through my Notebook speakers /headset

ok I’m getting a bit frustrated because I had hoped to do some production tonight but instead just trying to get sound. i have no sound in speakers or headset. i made a preset called headset, it says connected, but nothing.

I’m thinking about uninstalling the whole dam thing and starting over but I’m done wasting time.
what you tell me i can see and set. but no sound at all now even if i try to switch back.

this shouldn’t be this difficult!
i can’t tell if something is not working or i am setting it up wrong.

It is difficult. I have pulled my hair out trying to do this.

ASIO4All is NOT for Zoom R24. It is only for the internal laptop Speaker/Headset.

In Cubase “Audio Connections” Click on the " Not Connected" and select “Zoom 16/24”.

Side note:
If you are plugging your headset into the Zoom R24 you need to use the Zoom R24 ASIO driver in “Audio System” AND also select Zoom R24 in the “Audio Connections”

If you just want to use your laptop without Zoom, You need to select the ASIO4All driver in “Audio System” AND also select ASIO4All in the “Audio Connections”

ok so, you’re saying i was right in selecting the asio4all when not connected to the Zoom. screenshot in my previous post.
-also drivers installed correctly.
-does the Zoom driver output audio through the Zoom unit? makes sense only when hooked to the Zoom. at least that’s how i would expect it to work!
-ok so you say in audio connections (I’m off the Zoom now) see pic i hit drop down and connect. what about the preset choices.? what do they do? i set up one for “Headset” when i had the asio4all driver loaded. does that expect the asio4all driver for that preset to work?

now what can I try? or check?

-does the Zoom driver output audio through the Zoom unit? >>> YES when both Cubase and Zoom R24 are configured correctly

-ok so you say in audio connections (I’m off the Zoom now) see pic i hit drop down and connect. what about the preset choices.? what do they do?>>> They are for saving your set-up when you have complex set ups. I have not figured out how to best use them for my situation

i set up one for “Headset” when i had the asio4all driver loaded. does that expect the asio4all driver for that preset to work? >>>> Yes but Only if you have ASIO4All device also selected in “Audio System”

In Cubase there are always 2 places to configure “Audio System” and “Audio Connections”. They work together and must match.

Be sure you have these boxes checked

If they show “Active”

Also be sure that ASIO4All Control Panel shows the Realtek (blue lighted icon)

well I am concluding something is not working. i have a disconnect somewhere even though it looks like everything is setup correctly or appears to be.
I’d hate this to be a deal breaker for me choosing cubase, but, i can’t afford to spend much more time on this. I’ll try a couple more days then I’m going to have to move on.
i think the configuration for audio should be detailed better or cubase could be a little more intuitive in setting up the parts and pieces. maybe setup diagrams or auto detection since it seems to register the drivers installed.
any reason why a “one place to setup audio connections” doesn’t exist? Are there any settings in each track I have to worry about?

Well, it’s like this. It took me a few minutes to connect my Focusrite audio interface (no MIDI) and record a basic track. It took a day to get my 20-year-old MIDI interface set up and working (I mostly do MIDI). It took me a week or two to figure out how to switch between headphones and the Focusrite. I spent most of that time reading webpages and manuals. (I started using Cubase in April of 2018)

1. Uninstall asio4all.
  2. Install https://zoomcorp.com/documents/53/E__R16_R24_Driver_win_v2.1.0_1_2.zip
  3. Restart computer
  4. Open cubase
  5. Open Studio Setup
  6. Choose Zoom Driver
  7. Have fun.

When using asio4all plug headset into computer. When using zoom driver plug headphones into zoom.

This will be no different with any other DAW as you still have to choose your audio interface and specify what you want. Have you read the zoom manual?

This is all quite simple. I’m assuming g you haven’t read the Cubase manual at all since you missed the very first step of choosing the right interface. You can’t really blame the software if you are not doing your part and read the instructions for both the zoom and Cubase.

i didn’t read the whole manual, who does? But, i did read anything that pertains to setup and audio. nowhere does it say uninstall the asio4all driver (recent previous post) to solve this issue.
i will do this per your advice. i used to work with “difficult” to install software at a place out of California. if you didn’t follow a specific set of procedures to setup the package, it would not install properly.
i wasn’t expecting this type of thing being spoiled by most software these days .
that said, it will just take getting used to switching drivers when i go to the studio vs processing production standalone on the notebook. mostly, if i missed steps (like the first one) that’s the reason. then i expected selecting a driver in “Studio Setup” would be all i needed to do. I’ll re-read stuff to make sure i didn’t miss it.
is there a troubleshooting guide? i didn’t see it in the TOC.
thx again for the help!
ps. funny that you mentioned an old device. someone just gave me a couple old programs from line 6 and ckwlk. see pics

ok. i uninstalled the asio4all driver. the zoom driver,
i did try, but, it seems incomplete (see screenshots previously- latency has no values, just “???” blank dropdowns, etc). i cannot select it in Audio Setup even though it is there. it wont let me elect connections.
the Realtek Asio driver doesn’t work either but it does allow me to make connections etc in setup and audio setup.
i can use/switch back n forth- the generic asio driver and at least play through system speakers. but not the headset.
Now at one point when I had the zoom driver installed I was hearing system sounds like “dings” and stuff from Cubase when you finish a task or click something . But those stopped working even though I went back and set everything back up the way it was. I might add they were coming through the system speakers but, not the headphones.

this pic refers to the dropdown the zoom gives me, but, wont select when I click on it.

When using asio4all plug headset into computer. When using zoom driver plug headphones into zoom.

This will be no different with any other DAW as you still have to choose your audio interface and specify what you want.

this is exactly what my first few posts referred to.
When I plug the headset in nothing comes out of the headset it stays on the system speakers. When I plug the headset into the zoom nothing comes out of the headset output of the zoom. This is the whole problem I’ve had right from the get-go.
I need to be able to listen to the headset which works perfectly with every other software when I plug in the headset audio comes out of it. When I do it with Cubase, audio doesn’t come out of headset, nor can I control the volume with the system volume control.
I actually don’t care what driver I use as long as I can listen to audio through the headset in Cubase. It would allow me to work late at night when others are sleeping and give me the ability to travel and work on Cubase on an airplane or other long trip where other people shouldn’t have to listen to what I’m doing.

You don’t have to uninstall asio4all for the zoom to work. I have no idea why it doesn’t come out of your headset. I can’t see it being anything to do with Cubase. I personally would never use the onboard audio as it’s just too much of an unknown how it would work and never designed for serious audio work.

understand. But, say on a 5hr flight to LA from the East Coast. i don’t really care about the production sound for some labor-intensive tasks. I’m can get what I need to be done close and then tweak it when I get to Studio again.

I even tried a Gamers headset with a microphone on it and the sound still would not come out of it from Cubase. It also had a USB plug and that still didn’t work. I also didn’t work at all with the system or playing from Windows Media Player.
I can’t see how you can say it doesn’t have something to do with Cubase and that’s the only program that’s not playing through through the headphones but everything else is.
Maybe some windows 11 issue because that’s the only other possibility is its compatibility with Cubase. I don’t know how Cubase routes its drivers through the processor but clearly it has to be in addressing issue or some sort of offset in the workspace for audio drivers when CuBases Loaded.
Does Cubase Reserve memory for audio? If so is there any settings to adjust that?

I saw your screen shot of the Zoom driver. Maybe you can get some technical help from the Zoom people.

Here is link to some tips to help you troubleshoot Cubase:

A system that runs perfectly fine with games or video rendering may still not be suitable for audio real-time tasks . . .

Also, If you want to be really technical, ASIO4All is not really a driver per se. It is a wrapper that makes WDM look like ASIO to Cubase. Many people have problems with ASIO4All including myself. I just figure that when it IS working for me then the planets are all properly aligned.

No, still no solution to this issue. i have been able to get the volume control for the track to regulate the volume. nobody mentioned i can control the volume that way.

i’d still like to get it working. i will try the suggestion from “mhazdra” and see if it is helpful, a DAW app has what specific requirements? a machine with a ton of ram and hard disk space plus AMD Ryzen 8 core processor should be able to handle just about anything!

Here is a screenshot of my ASIO4ALL setup, I use this only for monitoring previously recorded audio or playing soft synths. Notice the top entry “Realtek(R) Audio Codec” is selected in the control panel. This works with both speakers and headphones connected to my laptop headphone socket and the volume is controllable using the windows volume controls. If you get a message from windows when you plug your headphones in, that means there is a separate headphone driver which needs to be selected in ASIO4ALL, otherwise sound will continue to come out of the speakers - I have a laptop where that happens, but on this machine this is not the case. You can see I have the option of using my Galaxy Buds if they are connected via bluetooth, or even my phone! (I haven’t tried that one yet!)
I appreciate that this is a frustrating experience for you, but once you get the hang of it you’ll be good to go. Setting up Cubase Pro or any other DAW is exactly the same, so my advice is don’t buy expensive software until you need the extra features.
Good luck!

true. it came bundled with my ASUS notebook. so, technically didn’t outright buy cubase. i figured I’d learn it since I got a copy.
I’m glad you had the same problem as i am having. windows 11 plays thru the speakers until you select headphones. i have analog AKG headset i just purchased. no drivers.
Although you said you had the same problem, is the above the solution i am looking for or is there something else that you did to get it to work?
I’ve been through that screen several times but didn’t get a connection to headphones working.
sounds like there’s a settings app for asio4all. is there?