Spacing issue when removing rest?

I am having a bit of trouble with a spacing issue.
I am trying to create harp glissando notation, using the 2nd voice to insert a tuplet to show the notes.
I create a septuplet, with the first note being a rest (as I only need 6 actual note heads).
Except when I hide/erase/remove that rest the subsequent notes squeeze in closer to where the rest was, which throws the spacing off.
before_erasing_rest
after_erasing_rest

Is there some easier way to do this?

Creating this type of notation gets tedious because of the tuplets, hiding them, changing the sizes of notes to grace notes, hiding stems/beams, calculating how many you need (if it’s more than a simple one-handed gliss), etc…

N.B. I know that both scales of the gliss were not necessary in this example, but it looked too lopsided with only one scale.
if I only put the notes in the bottom octave the gliss lines looked awful, and if I only put them in the upper octave, then it created a collision conflict with the lower gliss line.

Could you use a second voice and a septuplet with a first note that overlapped the low Eb. Presumably, when you hid the stems, the original Eb would cover the overlapping Eb but the spacing would remain?

I guess it would be worth a try rather than using a hidden rest there.

glissTest230419.dorico (494.0 KB)

I change the pedal notes to grace sized notes, so the “overlapping” might not work.

I’ve found a temporary work-around by notating the scale as a (voice 2) 16th note followed by six 32nd notes. For some reason, removing the 16th note rest doesn’t seem to reposition the subsequent scale notes. At least, not enough for it to be really visibly noticeable.

Still works for me when I change the notes in the test file to grace note rather than cue size, although they look a little farther apart than I would like.

garceNoteSize

what sort of tuplet did you use for the “cue” notes?

Rather than hiding/erasing/removing the rest, as per my suggestion in this recent thread

try changing the rest to a note and then in Properties (in Engrave mode) hide its notehead, stem and ledger lines and suppress its playback.

1 Like

ah, I will try that. thank-you.

Michel,
I used a 7:4 32nd-note tuplet in the down-stem voice, and since the note heads overlapped (and the grace/cue notes were smaller than the low Eb), hiding the stems (with the beams) made hiding the first note head irrelevant.

(You can open the test file I attached above to see what I did.)

2 Likes