Spitfire Audio BBC SO Pro Player Plugin Issue

@John_at_Steinberg hello,
I would like to inform you about a problem with the newest update of the BBC SO Pro Player plugin version 1.4.0.
The VST3 plugin appears in Dorico, but when you try to load the project file that comes with the Playback Template created by you, Dorico can’t load the Player. The same issue occurs in every project where BBC SO Pro is involved.
Here is how the VST Instrument Rack looks like:

I hope this could be fixed somehow! :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thurisaz

Oh, that’s too bad. How about already existing projects (not templates), do they still load.

And can you please post a diagnostics report? Many thanks

does it work with VEPro?

Hello @Ulf,
Thank you for the reply! :slight_smile:
The existing projects don’t work, too… ;(
Here is the Diagnostics Report archive (uploaded on WeTransfer because is bigger than the allowed here):
https://we.tl/t-ZjMKli5Y9O
I hope you would be able to find what causes the problem!
BBC SO Pro Player was always a VST3 plugin hosted in Dorico…

@dko22 hello,
No problem when hosted in VE Pro. Probably the issue is VST 3 related. VE Pro is able to host only VST 2 plugins.

Best wishes,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

Thanks @Thurisaz . How did you get the update, is it a paid update?
In my Spitfire App I have no updates for BBCSO.

@Ulf, I got it via the Spitfire App, for free. It appeared for me last night.
The Spitfire updating system doesn’t provide the updates simultaneously to all users in order to reduce the traffic towards the servers. It sure appear at some time for you, too.

Best wishes,
Thurisaz

Thanks for the info @Thurisaz . I will wait then.
I guess Spitfire tampered with the plug-in’s UUID and therefore it fails to load now. Let’s see…

For nothing, @Ulf. Thank you, too! :slight_smile:
I too suppose it’s something with the plug-in’s UUID, because it appears in Dorico and works fine, just can’t load with earlier projects and templates.
If not possible for the guys at Spitfire to return the old UUID, probably John should update the Playback Template.

Best wishes,

I found the UUID in the diagnostics report and indeed it looks like Spitfire changed it in the 1.4 release. The UUID is essential for loading the plug-in from existing projects.
I will get in contact with Spitfire immediately

2 Likes

Thank you very much, Ulf! :slight_smile:

Spitfire have stopped the 1.4 rollout now and are investigating…
If you want to roll back to the older version please get in contact with Spitfire Support.

Ulf, thank you very much for the assistance! :slight_smile:
I’m not in rush at the moment, so I can wait day, or two. If they are able to fix the issue in such period of time. If not I will roll back.
Thank you very much once again! :slight_smile:

Best wishes,

thanks to both for the heads-up! I mostly run my BBC Core from within VEPro (and perhaps the update is only for Pro so it wouldn’t affect me anyway) but it’s good to know about such things before they can do any damage.

I just got a notification from Spitfire that they resolved the issue and that a fix version will come out next week. All the customers that already had downloaded BBC SO 1.4 should have been contacted by Spitfire Support already.

4 Likes

Here another message from Spitfire Support:
"Any customers who installed the 1.4.0 update, should now have 1.5.0 available in their download list. If they don’t, all they need to do is repair the plugin: https://spitfireaudio.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002704694-How-to-Repair-a-Library-in-the-Spitfire-App
As before, we’ll roll out the full 1.5.0 update next week, this is just a plugin update for now. "

1 Like

@Ulf hello,
Thank you very much! :slight_smile:
Now the problem is fixed and I can load the projects normally. :slight_smile:
Ulf, may I ask you something else? Probably the team in London has closer connection with the team at Spitfire Audi. Would be really nice if they collaborate somehow in order the Spitfire Player for strings to get Divisi function that will work properly in Dorico, and of course if hosted in VE Pro.
Most commonly used divisions are up to 4 voices per section, but in some cases they could be even more, for example “Also Sprach Zarathustra” by Richard Strauss. We’ll need two ways of controlling the volume level of the division - Automatic, or Manual (per voice).
The Divisi’s are essential, but Spitfire Audio strings don’t have it.

Thank you in advance! :slight_smile:

Best wishes,

1 Like

Hi @Thurisaz ,
I at least forwarded your request to my contact at Spitfire. I don’t know what they will make out of it, but they have now heard about it. So chances are that they find it important enough to actually implement it one day.

2 Likes

I’d like to add my voice as well. Who do we have to write to? Christian Henson?

Hi @Ulf and @MarcLarcher,
Ulf, thank you very much! :slight_smile:
I asked the support guys about this improvement almost an year ago, and even yesterday I did it again, but obviously they only give promises that they will transfer it to dev team.
People like you and the rest of the team seem to be our only chance such important things to get their attention.
Danke schon, Ulf! :slight_smile:

Marc, the only way I found was to chat with their support. I didn’t find a way to contact directly Christian Henson, nor Paul Thompson in order to discuss this topic.
Of course this library needs more articulations and effects to be added, like the Orchestral Tools - Berlin Strings (Kontakt Edition). I did ask them for this, too, an year ago. BBC SO isn’t full enough for writing Aleatoric music, or Horror and Thriller movie soundtracks. Probably they will need to use some other compression format in order to save space on our SSDs and HDDs. Currently the library contains only the most common articulations and it’s already very big…
Marc, if you are able to contact the main guys at Spitfire Audio, it’ll be great! :slight_smile:

Best regards and wishes,

My only contact to Spitfire Audio is Angus and he is always very kind and responsive. This is what he just wrote me: “Not going to be possible with BBC SO, as we’d have to go back and record the string section again, but certainly something that we can consider for future products in terms of making a product more workable in Dorico.”