Splitting long note into tie

Hi,

I was hoping there may be a way to split a long note into a tied chain without setting a rhythmic override for the passage?

The reason I wish to do this is because I am doing a piece where I frequently have < f > for long sustained notes like dotted half or whole notes, and I want the long note to be split at the dynamic to clarify to the performers the exact location of the dynamic arrival.

This is typical practice (breaking what would otherwise be a long sustained note value to a tie) for when you want to clarify that a dynamic should arrive at a certain spot.

If it is not possible, it would be great if this feature could be added as a setting (ex. split long note value into ties at dynamic). Otherwise I have to do overrides and then if I move things around (ex. if I want to add a beat here and there or change the time sig) the rhythms are then wrong.

There isn’t a way to do this at the moment, but I agree it would be useful. The dependency exists in the other direction, i.e. if you have a sustained note split at particular rhythmic positions, when you create a messa di voce dynamic it will follow the rhythmic division of the note, but the notator doesn’t consider dynamics when considering how to split a long note. I think it would be a good feature, though, and I’ll talk to the team about how we might address this in future.

1 Like

Unless I’m misunderstanding, you can split any note with the “scissors” (U) in Note Entry mode. Put the caret at the beat position of the split. You’ll then need to add the tie to the first note (T).

but, IIRC adding ties again will heal the splits …

If you hit Force Duration (O) before adding the tie, the notes will not rejoin.

That’s what I thought too, just tried it, and it didn’t work… will try again :slight_smile:

Hope it will work for you. It worked for me when I

• Split the note (U)
    • Chose Force Duration (O)
    • Clicked on the first note
    • Applied the tie (T)

Yep, tried it on a new file and I can get it to work within the bar, but as soon as I try to tie into that same bar from the preceeding one, it gets rewritten, even with Force Duration active…

You’ve moved the goal posts. If you tie from left to right (with Force Duration) the notes do not recombine.

Unfortunately, in many cases they do recombine, but not always … is it at all possible to tie right to left…?

Not as far as I know.

Thanks, Daniel!

Hi everybody,

I suppose this has not been implemented yet, hasn’t this? This would be a very useful behaviour for the hairpins.
The only solution I have found is to input two separate notes, create dynamic and then tie them with Force Duration on.
Is there a faster way?

Hairpins (and other dynamics) can be placed anywhere in a tied note.
Invoke the caret (shift-N), move it to where you want to start the hairpin. Then add the hairpin. Nothing will appear until… you use the spacebar to advance the caret to the end (the caret will advance by the current note duration, which can be changed midstream). Finally press ? to terminate it.

There are a number of threads on this.

Sorry, maybe I was not clear in my post.
As a follow up to how I read the original post, I’d like to do attach a dynamic sign to one of these two tied notes, ideally just with the key command, but I wonder if it has been implemented yet.
Is it possible? It seems to me that the selection of both notes (one tied note actually) doesn’t allow this.
It’s a very common and useful practice, to be able to indicate the exact duration of hairpins, by splitting what could be written as whole note, for example here.

Schermata 2022-11-04 alle 16.23.33

You can only do it with the caret at the moment, Alessandro. Show the caret at the point at which you want the hairpin to begin, type < or >, then Space to extend the hairpin.

Or, add it across the whole duration of the note, then shorten the hairpin afterwards.

In addition to Lillie’s suggestion, you can also copy it from elsewhere, but simply inputting it with the caret is the way I usually do it, as in the gif below.
cresc

That’s what I’d do and thought. But the actions described by Daniel… don’t work to me. I get a whole-note hairpin. I think I have not really understood the procedure, neither the gif from Fred, which seems invaluable indeed. But…

On a sidenote, although I have been using Dorico for actual projects for more more than a year, and I am a lot faster than with any other softwares, I find myself doing more copying from elsewhere and then using a lot of shift-cmd or shift-alt to correct, move or extend than doing the popover or key command way…
Is it normal? :wink:

After I input the notes, I put the caret where I wanted the hairpin to start. I typed Shift+D to open the dynamics popover, typed < then enter. At this point nothing appears on screen, so I think lots of users are confused at this step as to why nothing is happening. I then hit the spacebar and the hairpin appears, so I keep using the spacebar as many times as needed to advance the end of the hairpin.