Steinberg Support Poll

:open_mouth:

Case in point.

Just got an update from steinberg.de. This is a ticket I opened in April with steinberg/Yamaha USA, which was sent to steinberg.de in May. I have to paste it here because I am just… Stunned. THIS IS AFTER THE US TEAM TOLD ME TO GO TO THE DE TEAM.

Dear Jeremy,

for your next requests, please contact the US support team as we don’t support USA from here.

Here are the contact details:

As for the issue you are experimenting, here are some useful articles :

Hyperthreading/Simultaneous Multithreading and ASIO Guard

Details on ASIO-Guard in Cubase and Nuendo

We suggest you keep the virtual core disabled for the moment and keep your Cubase updated.

Any further question or requests should addressed to your US support team.

Regards,
Eric

See that bit about “we recommend keeping the virtual cores off for now”? If steinberg was simply FORTHCOMING about this, I would be 90% less frustrated. And then they sent me the SAME LINKS I put into that email chain at the start that discuss hyperthreading.

Steinberg need to up the ante in regards to support. Other companies are all over this. It provides a much higher level of customer satisfaction. Something that does not appear to be of much importance to Steinberg in recent days.

I assume that due to Cubase being so old and fragile, it takes a lot of resources to add features without breaking something else. So things like good technical support are just not financially viable. IMO they should spend a couple of years and a bucket load of money to rewrite it from scratch. Not an easy task, but easier than dealing with an increasing amount of pressure from other DAW developers and an increasing amount of disgruntled customers.

If you happen to compare DAW support to support of other 3rd party non-DAW’s IMO, I don’t think that is fair.

With this said…PT? Logic? DP? Ableton? Reaper? Studio One? Which one is offering the “all over this” support?

what is also frustrating that Steinberg take forever to fix bugs or just don’t fix bugs at all, but they would release a new cubase version

The economic system most of us labor beneath, especially now that it has reached a very late, very dysfunctional stage, does not allow companies like Steinberg, NI, etc etc, to stop pushing new material and still remain solvent. Many of us desire improvements and solutions, but in order for steinberg to continue functioning it must always make just enough changes to justify another release, and another, and another.

Under this system, you must constantly sell sell sell to make enough to pay your own bills, and you can’t sell each license for $100,000 to ensure your long term outlook, so every vendor is forced to perpetually find ways to get you to pay more. This is an economic issue, and steinberg isnt alone in how they must manage it.

This is what happened to lightbulbs in the early 20th century, involving the 'Phoebus Cartel." This was a cartel of early lightbulb manufacturers who realized that if people bought one bulb that lasted 20+ years, they wouldn’t be able to stay in business. So they agreed to cut the lifespan of bulbs and fix the prices of said bulbs, and the rest is history. There is still an edison bulb that burns after 78 years, lol.

My latest support experience is very poor, to say it in a still friendly way.
I opened a ticket to report an issue (which is rather old) with the display of Input/Output channels in the track view.
Input channels are not visible but will show up when global write will be enabled once. This has to be done for any newly added input channel too.
After month with no response (ticket status open) I wrote a more or less sarcastic follow up question, which said in short: if you do not like customers to open tickets you may close this option or respond at least like “Don’t bother us user, just give us your money”, since I was very frustrated about their lame attitude in customer service.
Now I looked again into the ticket system and found my case closed 18 days ago with no comment at all. Even though they might think “F**k you!” they must behave in a professional manner and not just close a ticket with no further comment.

So I reopened it, asking to provide the solution, since they marked it as “Solved” :imp:

Fantastic.
I logged a quiry about Spectral Layers yesterday and received a reply with my answer today .
That’s pretty good in my book

But take this: the forum is not an official support path, said many times by Steinberg

Maybe for their new cash cows but Cubase is like a dead body in their basement…better don’t look after…