Stream Deck macro keypad

Your studio looks great, Andre, and I agree about the coffee! I hope you enjoy the Stream Deck - it certainly seems to have gained popularity very quickly.

The iOS stream deck looks good, but not all commands seem to work correctly. For example, I select a note, tap the tenuto button and in Dorico a marcato articulation is added. I did reset all the Key commands to their default (Reset Key Commands)ion Dorico because I read that Notation Express is using the Default Dorico shortcuts. Maybe someone knows why it doesn’t work correctly?

There are various issues here:

1. Notation Express assumes you’re running an english keyboard. If you’re not, you’ve got some work to do.
  2. Notation Express comes with its own keycommands file - many of the shortcuts are NOT default Dorico shortcuts.

I’m running a Swedish keyboard, so I need to check that, but why would that make a difference? How is the keyboard involved when using the iPhone to the Mac? Or do you mean the iOS keyboard ? That is set to English.

So Notation express is not running correctly after installation? How do I know how and where to make changes?

I’ve got to try and explain this briefly as I’ve got a concert in a few minutes:

1. Notation Express comes with a keycommands_en.jaon file that you drop into your Dorico user folder. I can’t remember whether you do this manually or it’s part of the installer - that’s Philip’s remit, not mine. For these shortcuts to be picked up by Dorico, Dorico’s key commands dialog needs to be set to use English.

2. What Stream Deck does is send keyboard shortcuts. When you run Stream Deck on a Mac whose keyboard language is set to anything other than English, Stream Deck automatically replaces all of its keyboard shortcuts with ones that it THINKS matches your connected keyboard. This is extremely unhelpful but there’s no easy way around it.

Either you need to cross reference Dorico’s keyboard commands against what Shortcuts the Stream Deck is sending, or you need to tell macOS that your keyboard is English (there’s a quick toggle to switch between two keyboard languages easily).

According to the documentation that came with Notation Express:
The Notation Express profile is based on the default Dorico key commands, although many more have been added.

“When you run Stream Deck on a Mac whose keyboard language is set to anything other than English…”
Ah, I see. In that case I should be OK, it is set to English.

Yes, but if you’ve got a Swedish keyboard then presumably macOS thinks you’re running a Swedish keyboard, not an English one.

Andre, did you get it sorted?

It’s a keycommands_en.json file that the Notation Express installer drops into your Library folder. If, as you said above, you Reset Key Commands on your own in Dorico, you should quit Dorico, run the Notation Express installer again (not the Stream Deck installer), and restart Dorico.

After doing that, and setting everything to English on your Mac and in Dorico, it should work. I’m sorry that Notation Express doesn’t have a Swedish keyboards layout, although, as mentioned earlier, if you wish to use your Swedish keyboard you could certainly manually program anything that is different from the English one.

Hi Philip,
Unfortunately still not. I did all the things you said and even restarted the Mac, but still the wrong articulations are showing, so i uninstalled everything and will do things from the start.

No luck still. I have set everything to English on my Mac and in the iPhone, reset all the key commands in Dorico, reinstalled the software, restarted the Mac but the result is the same. I will see if I can get it to work tomorrow.

Dear Andre,
I happened to build the french layout for Notation express, and I can confirm you that there are new shortcuts to create and some changes to make into Stream Deck configuration for it to work with another layout than the english one. Each button has to be carefully tested (Philip, I should send you an update, as some folks with my French file have noticed some problems on buttons I never use…) but once it works, it’s great. I find everything is well thought-out and the icons are beautiful :wink:

Andre, if you open Dorico’s Preferences and go to Key Commands, what do you see in Keyboard language? If you set it to English does it help?

Thanks, Marc! I would welcome an update any time.

Hi Philip, the language settings in preferences are set to English, I always work in English.

Andre, go to System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources.

What’s highlighted on the left hand side, on your computer?

If it’s anything apart from British or U.S. then everything I said earlier (in the post I’m quoting below) applies:

Hi Leo,
my settings are the same as in your screenshot:

If both are using the default Dorico settings, shouldn’t the key shortcut be the same? I tried to make them the same, but even then it doesn’t work:

The app doesn’t connect anymore to my Mac, keeps on interrupting. Well, I gave it a try, but it takes too much of my time to use this and get it to work. I will use my my keyboard shortcuts instead. Thanks.

Your settings are the same as in my screenshot, but your keyboard layout isn’t. Look at this: yours is above, mine is below.

When you say “I tried to make them the same”, do you mean you’ve gone into the Stream Deck software, tried to assign the shortcut for tenuto to , but when you’ve typed \ on your Swedish keyboard a ’ appears? If so, it seems likely that Stream Deck is seeing the Swedish keyboard layout and getting confused.

Andre, I’m sorry you’re having trouble. Could you try a U.S. keyboard layout to see if that makes a difference?

THAT made it work, finally! Thanks for that tip, Philip.