Stream Deck macro keypad

This is a good idea! I will add some useful glyphs too (flat, sharp, short unbreakable space, hyphen…), all unicode glyphs I use quite often. This will make the Stream Deck unavoidable :sweat_smile:

Dan! I have gone a ways down this road on the suggestion of a Windows user. On Mac these characters are easier to type, which is why it hadn’t occurred to me before. Nice!

Philip, do you find those characters easy to type on Mac? I’ve found that Dorico (or rather Qt) can’t deal with the press-and-hold method…

Well, easier than dealing with a random 4-digit code which is I think how it’s done on Windows. Even if you can’t use the press-and-hold method (because it results in multiple keystrokes) you can still use the older “option” method, i.e., for é you type Option-e and then the letter e, for è you type Option-backtick (at least on a US keyboard) and then the e, etc.

Logically spoken, I don’t think that it is possible.
But can you assign written playing techniques like ‘con sord, pizz, col legno, sul tasto etc’ to the Stream Deck with Notation Express? That would help so much for orchestra composing.
Or generally spoken you can only assign the things to the Stream Deck which you can use with shortcuts in Dorico?

You don’t think what’s possible? Yes, you can assign playing techniques, and indeed Notation Express already has things like pizz. and arco.

wow…thanx Leo. I just like to use my keyboard shortcuts cause I’m travelling a lot with small laguage and if i would use the stream deck for them, i would forget a lot of them. but if you can use Stream Deck for playing techniques, that’ll fasten up my workflow a lot.

Is it also possible to assign it to newly created playing techniques?

Yes. You just program a “multi”, which first types Shift+P, then types your playing technique and hits Enter.

Sorry Leo to ask again but it’s quite some money for the XL…can I program everything in a way that I only have to push 1 button on the stream deck and not always have to enter the whole words like 'col legno, etc '. Or Stream Deck only replaces the ‘Shift+P-Action’? That’s hopefully my last question :wink:
Thanx a lot

The multi-action does just that. It types Shift+P, then it types col legno, then it hits Enter.
You push precisely one button.

wow…ok…ordered :slight_smile: !!!

You can stack multiple actions, in fact. I’m working on a large project that requires lots of short exercises, so I’ve set up a single button to do the following:

1. Shift-A
  2. Shift-B, final
  3. Shift-R, coda
  4. Ctrl-3 (Engrave Mode)
  5. Shift-S (system break)
  6. Ctrl-2

Streamdeck tip: I’ve set up the stream deck profile with some of the keyboard shortcuts written on the buttons underneath what they do. It helps me to remember them when I only have a laptop keyboard.

Good tip !

dankreider wrote: ↑Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:04 pm
2. Shift-B, final
3. Shift-R, coda
Hey Dan…could you please tell me how to do that?
If I take a ‘hotkey’, I can’t enter text behind the shortcut…how do u setup a ‘shortcut PLUS text’ please?
Thanx a lot.
‘Multi-Action’ is the key ?

Search the right panel (of Stream Deck) for multi.
Drag a multi action on to an empty slot.
An empty list will appear.
Then drag a Hotkey action into the list, and set it to Shift+B.
Then drag a Text action into the list, and tell it to type |] (this is the quickest way of getting a final barline).
Then tick the “Press Enter after message” option.

It should look like this:

i got it…just wanted to delete my post…but you’ve been faster :slight_smile:
sometimes I should be more patient before posting…sorry guys

ok, i have to admit: what a fantastic device !!!

i’d like to transform some of the notation express keys from a hotkey to ‘move to a multi action’ key. but if i do this, the image used by notation express gets lost.
is there a way to transform a key-function and keep the image?

Nope. Tell me which ones you need and I’ll PM the icons over to you.

a great…thanx so much Leo…
i would need the following images - cause I’d just like to add a ‘return’ hotkey at the beginning :slight_smile:

• add voice
  • add 2nd voice
  • Triplet (to add others)

That’s it so far