Stream Deck macro keypad

I used the english file provided with Notation Express and saved it as keycommands_de.json with only one modification: I added the F8 key to start/stop playback which appears to be a standard keycode in the English version of Dorico but not in the German version (no idea why).

This means adding the lines

{
	"Play.StartOrStop?PlayFromLocation=kToggleStartAndStop" : [ "F8" ]
},

in the kGlobal section.

I’ve added a note on the site that these versions are available on request. I said, “We do have a couple of unofficial versions: Dorico for Mac in French, and Dorico for German in Windows. If you work in one of these platform/language combinations, please contact us after you purchase Notation Express, and we will send you the version you request.”

So you guys convinced me, and I bought a Stream Deck as well as the Notation Express profile. Thanks to Leo for the beautiful, well thought-out work! However, I still need to modify the profile to fit my needs, and in that process it would be nice to be able to create new icons in the same style as those that come with the profile. Also, if you happen to delete an icon, it’s gone forever - unless you reload the whole profile and lose your changes…
So, Philip and/or Leo, is it possible to release the icon files, ideally in an easily editable way?

I can’t provide the icons, I’m afraid - they’re Philip’s work and it’s up to him. That said, there’s a way of NOT losing them forever, if you happen to delete them:

1. Import the original profile back in.
  2. Find the function you want, in the original profile.
  3. Select and type Ctrl/Cmd+C.
  4. Switch back to your edited Stream Deck Profile by clicking the caret to the right of the current Stream Deck Profile name.
  5. Select the location where you want to position the copied function and type Ctrl/Cmd+V.

Thank you, Leo. That’s very helpful. Could you reveal how you made the icons? In which program?

I believe Philip uses Graphic: Graphic - Mac Illustration and Graphic Design software

Leif,

I can’t speak for Leo and Philip, but I made mine in pain.NET. You’re welcome to pilfer anything from here: Dropbox - Stream Deck icons - Simplify your life

Ah, you’re a Roman Catholic? :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Leif. If you (or anyone else) could say what functions you’d find most useful I’d consider making a supplemental set. I already have one for Sibelius that I make available to Sibelius users. Although I must say Dan’s are very lovely!

Lol, Freudian slip.

I’ve discovered you can access icon files (e.g. in order to modify them) from a stream deck profile with 7-zip (on Windows)
So you open the profile file with it … then in 7-Zip File Manager window select View->Flat View. Then select all image files and extract them somewhere and just choose auto-rename when a dialog appears.

By the way, has anyone heard about the Stream Deck XL? Apparently it’s 32 buttons (8x4) and about $300. I can’t find any purchasing info online, but someone said they purchased it at Best Buy in Texas.

Nothing mentioned on their website. Maybe he was talking about an X-Keys

There’s this…

is this better than having 2 of them ? (i don’t have one, just curious)

I would certainly trade in my two smaller ones for something like this. Stream Deck isn’t a very mobile prospect anyways. And I like the idea of being able to lay out a larger keyboard with only one USB device.

But point taken that it isn’t necessarily better than two smaller ones in many cases.

I must say I strongly disagree with you : when I’m not home, I’m not taking a little MIDI keyboard, but I’m always taking my stream deck with me, I can even use it (at it has great success around) in the train when I’m working on scores during the travels :wink:

Welp, here it is! Stream Deck XL | elgato.com

Stream Deck XL is available from amazon.co.uk on 11 June. I was considering buying the 5x3 Stream Deck, but will wait for Stream Deck XL as the larger number of keys will be useful for my uses (Dorico, also Photoshop and other Adobe Creative Cloud applications). The caption of one of the Amazon pictures says, in French(!), that it has a removable cable, which appears to be USB-C at the Stream Deck end. It has a removable non-folding stand that attaches with magnets. The unit itself is slightly tilted and the cable slot is recessed, so you can use it without the stand.

There is more detail in this YouTube video. The presenter mentions that the XL has higher resolution displays in the keys, which suggests graphics might need to be reworked.

I wonder if Stream Deck XL works with 5x3 Stream Deck profiles until such time as profiles are updated for the 8x4 layout.

This is the product I have been waiting for. I had considered buying a programmable keypad for my desk in the past, but decided the relative inflexibility even with the use of AutoHotKey didn’t justify the cost. I toyed with the original Stream Deck, but 5x3 was really too small. 8x4 seems perfect for my uses.

Excellent - those extra buttons are really going to make things a lot easier. I find myself wondering whether this road doesn’t ultimately lead to a Stream Deck keyboard…

It’s a fair bit of money so before I dig deep into my wallet, have any users come experienced non-software faults with the Stream Deck? Keys sticking, not responding etc. Personally I haven’t.