Studio pics!

Ohh poop…

Is there a Lava lamp as a VST?
hihihiiiihihiii

No lava lamp here either, but I was planning on making myself an infinity mirror sometime, I think the effect is comparable :sunglasses:

Hi Guys,

I have enjoyed everyone pics! Interesting to see how everyone gets to the music…surfer is a total inspiration to me for my next rendition of “studio”, I really dig his chair and simplicity.

For now, I threw the junk outside my door and snapped a couple pics: 00

Warm Regards,
John

Room Info if you are interested:

12.5’ x 14.5’ x 7’ high. It is in the basement, all four walls are cement block of which three have dirt on the outside with the fourth being a common wall to the basement with a 1 7/8” solid core door. Three window plugs, 15 bails Rockwool/OC 703, 2layers 5/8” drywall on RC channel for the ceiling, lights on dimmer :smiley: (it can be done). Outlets switched at door, computer on home run. Exhaust fan switched at door, 700 sommes (quite). Two large bass traps in front, two small in rear, broadband absorbers front and rear, two broadband clouds; one over listening area, other over drums, two Helmholtz Resonators deflecting to rear of room. 16 channel recording with Yamaha O1X, mostly for convince of having everything ready to go. The room has a mathematical STC level of a little over 70 and a mathematical Room Reverberation Time of approximately .35. Have had good results recording vocals, live guitar amps, trumpet, trombone, violin, drums and acoustic guitar with open mics in this room. This is the second version of a desk and the gear gets changed around from time to time. Stupid factoid = record cables in use at one time in this little room: 0ver 600 feet.

Sounds good, but the album is private :wink:

It’s always something :unamused: Should work now.

Apart from the missing Lava Lamp :wink: Top marks. :smiley:

Wow, that looks amazing. Wish I had a room like that!

[quote=“JSW”]Hi Guys,

I have enjoyed everyone pics! Interesting to see how everyone gets to the music…surfer is a total inspiration to me for my next rendition of “studio”, I really dig his chair and simplicity.

For now, I threw the junk outside my door and snapped a couple pics: Photobucket | The safer way to store your photos

Warm Regards,
John

very nicely done… :mrgreen:

Yeah, no Lava Lamp :laughing: I did go back and look at your studio…man you knocked it out-a-da-park, Room in a Room and all. Your build thread over at JohnLSayers was well done, as a matter of fact; it was a build thread like yours that motivated me to build mine. JohnLSayers website is fantastic; I used his most basic design with some of my own modifications for my layout. Can’t say my music can justify my room, but the room is a hoot just the same.

Thanks! Looking at your studio, I see you are not wanting. I like your set up a lot. I can envision in my future a very small minimalist kind of studio setup with a few diy absorber panels, but not yet. :slight_smile:

Thanks! As you said
“ Hi, interesting to see other muso’s studio environments…so here is mine…Kevin”

I agree and in looking at your set up I can appreciate your taste in gear as well as your room tuning to achieve the best sound being recorded and played back…well done to you too.

Hi JSW…the room tuning has amade a humungas difference and is well worth the effort…it’s not too hard to do,
regarding gear I don’t have much in the way of outboard and have been looking enviously at all the outboard gear everyone has and wondering if I’m missing something…usually do!!! best to everyone…Kevin

Oh and a soundbooth is a great thing to have…built mine for around 80 quid…

Yeah, it’s hard to imagine how it will sound until you go through the process. It made for an interesting bit of education for me.

In looking at my pics :laughing: it gave me a different perspective of my gear. I’m stuck with Yamaha drivers that will not work in the Window 7-8 environment, I think as I downsize and simplify my life in the future, the ‘Studio’ will be boiled down to the essence. There has definitely been more outboard gear I’ve wanted, but for me this is a hobby, there has been no monetary gain, it’s all been an expense, my ROI (return on investment)= priceless. The quality of my gear is high enough that the weak link is me. All that is really needed are the essentials. I guess my point here is, It really is about making the music, the building, acquisitions of gear, etc is great fun, but it’s about making the music.

Yes, that caught my eye, my work-arounds include: putting a guitar amp outside the room with a mic, singing into the broadband absorber at the rear of the room, and running some extra cable to reach into the near by tile bathroom for ‘short’ reverb or open the shower door for ‘long’ reverb :laughing: it works like shite, but I’ve tried it.

Yeah…bottom line is the music…gear is nice but it can sidetrack us muso’s a bit…as an example regarding the room treatment…before, if I tapped a pencil on my desk I could hear the short reverb around the room…after If I did the same thing…no reverb and if I opened the door leading to the hallway I could hear the reverb in the hallway whilst sat at my desk…the isolation is mega…hope you could follow that convoluted explanation…Kevin

I agree that gear can distract you from using what you already have. I’ll be the first to admit my shopping list usually grows instead of shrinks when I buy something new :wink:

yeah…we’re all suckers for some nice new gear/software/…wish I could afford to start on my wish list which gets longer by the week…Kevin

when G.A.S. flairs up, I take pencil to paper and draw out new configurations for my current equipment and how the new stuff would improve things, then my frugal/creative side kicks in and I hopefully find a kool workaround, or just dig deeper into some software and learning a new trick. With luck, the G.A.S. will pass…that’s why I built an air make up/exhaust system into the room. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok…whats G.A.S…s’pose I should know but just can’t think of what it might be at the mo…regarding digging deep into software…wish I could, I’m barely scratchin the surface of my stuff cause I’m such a donkey with it…everytime I try something I screw something up…so dare’nt touch anyhting…Kevin

you quack me up…with the quality your getting, it’s hard to believe. If you really want to go wild with the software, do a ‘save as’ with a new project name and have at it, how can ya learn if ya ain’t screwin’ it up?

G.A.S. = gear acquisition syndrome :ugeek:

your so right…however, just today tried to get deeper into Jamstix and now cubase is frozen and Jamstix has lost its drums…being helped by Ralph at Rayzoon as we speak…their support is superb…

I’m very flattered that you think I’m getting quality but if you heard each individual track in isolation you’d die laughing…really
anyway, I’m regularly screwing it up but I aint learning too much :frowning:

G.A.S…why didn’t I know that :blush:

I used to be very prone to GAS, but after the 2 year hiatus while the house and studio were being built, I’ve since become quite proficient at talking myself out of it. I can’t think of a single piece of outboard gear I feel I want. A few weeks ago I was considering buying a new guitar, but I couldn’t sufficiently persuade myself I really needed it. Maybe it’s an age thing. Then again I always tell myself I haven’t really pushed the borders of what I’ve got - I seem to be becoming a gear (incl.plugins) minimalist.

Looks liked you’ve reached the muso’s equivalent of Nirvana…OOOooohhhmmm