Studio pics!

Two notes of the chord, that’s our full scope
But to reach the chord is our life’s hope
And to name the chord is important to some
So they give it a word and the word is…
“Om”
(G.Edge)

Nice one… :laughing:

I am actually very happy with everything I’ve got as well, I don’t usually buy stuff in an impulse so the wishlist may be ever existing but it’s a well thought out wishlist :wink:.
I’m currently looking at a 2nd hand Korg Wavedrum. I think that’ll be a great addition to my existing drumkit in that I can play it with brushes or my hands as well as with sticks, so it should make for a very organic snaredrum or percussion/sfx device.
It’s a shame the new ‘global’ model is so darn expensive (€600). It’s said to sound a bit better and have a much higher output level, but otherwise it’s entirely identical to the WDX which I can get for ~€200,- used. Decisions… :sunglasses:

Wish I could actually play the drums…then I wouldn’t have be driven crazy by software that doesn’t make a sound…which is Jamstix at the moment…

I gave in and bought a 2nd hand WDX.
These things are amazing, they should really give everyone one of these at birth, they’re so much fun :sunglasses:.
Great feel, very nice sounding emulations of all kinds of percussion, epic cinematic sounds and very nice synth patches that are a joy to play.
I’m not a seasoned percussionist though, so my hands hurt pretty badly after playing it for some hours today :laughing:.

Strophoid

Impressive studio !..I’ve be dreaming of a similar wood desk where i could easily pull out my computer keyboard
thus getting accesss to the digital piano…and to look directly ahead to the Cubase monitor—all things your
set-up seems to do

Did you build it yourself ( according to your gear’s specs. )…or did it come as a " flexible blueprint "…or can
i find it at at IKEA… ?..A good, ergonomic, workplace is essential for making things that " sound good ", eh ?

What are the alternatives for furniture setting in a studio…Maybe a Lounge would be nice

Hey jb+, thanks :slight_smile:
Yes, I designed and built that desk myself. I had some experience because the previous desk I owned was also self built, so I already knew a bit about what worked and what didn’t. Building it yourself is much cheaper than buying one. Similar desks of this size are easily double the prize I paid for this, it was about €300,- worth of material, including paint, rack rails etc.
What I did was I started in Google sketchup (a free 3d modelling program). I measured up all my gear and replicated those dimensions in Sketchup. Then I figured out a setup that would work well for me, and pretty much built the desk to carry all the gear in that setup. The end result was almost identical to my first sketch, with some minor changes because of the available sizes of the wood.
The only thing I regret is I didn’t leave enough space for an 88-key controller. I might be able to fit a 73-key one in if it’s a slim design though, which would be good enough for me, just when recording pianists they might complain :wink:.
It’s true that a comfortable workspace does wonders for your creativity and workflow. Put some thought in where you position your screens because you easily put them too high up in a setup like this.
Also don’t underestimate the depth of a desk like this. My mixer is nearly 50cm deep and needs some additional space behind it for cables. The top shelf is 34cm deep to accommodate for larger monitors so the entire desk is 90cm deep which is more than a regular desk.

On another note: look, a wavedrum! :smiley:

little bump, anyone with some interesting pictures? :slight_smile:

Is everyone’s phone camera broken? Where’s all the pictures? Only talk-fest going on here! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Here you go

More

photo 1.JPG

Ironic.

I can deal with most aspects of Cubase with no probs.

But my phone… waaaaaaay too complicated for me.

And folks can take pictures with it?
—go figure. :slight_smile:
{‘-’}

… and:

• internet
  • email
  • gestures
  • apps and widgets
  • sharing screens with a FHD TV!

Where did we go so wrong? :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

Hello,

Is everyone’s phone camera broken? Where’s all the pictures? Only talk-fest going on here!

I’ll pile on, why not.

Hugh

Wow! Got enough pixels there?

Non-trivial setup there!!

Hopefully those last pics from Hugh won’t put people off posting.
I think most people are interested in seeing more amateur and personal setups.

Was a bit overwhelming! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

It does look like a full AV production suite, for several people just on the mixing desk, let alone the other desks!

However it may appear to dwarf our own efforts, we must remember ‘horses for courses’ - we have what we have because that is what we actually need given our finances, and celebrate that.

And remember, those pictures are of a facility that has to be very busy to justify the outlay. With our own fit-for-purpose studios, we get to work at our own pace, without the commercial pressures.

Well, that is how I think to stop feeling our setup is totally inadequate! :wink: :smiley:

Nice setup CMaffia, thanks for sharing!

@Hugh: I think you just won :p. Looks amazing!
I personally like to see small and big setups, both have their own charm :slight_smile:

Hello,

Wasn’t trying to show off, I apologize if anyone thought so, those were PR pics from the launch hence all the logos. Patanjali, you’re correct, we must stay very busy to keep these facilities running. We specialize in entertainment broadcast trucks (EU-speak=“OB Van”). Really big ones. :slight_smile:

Hugh

I was wondering why it was missing the ‘lived in’ look! You know the piles of detritus built up at the boundaries of people’s working areas.