Suggestion: Transpose - Switch Quality and Interval

This is only a minor UX issue, but currently, the Quality field is placed before the Interval field, but the Quality options depend on the Interval:

As you work from top to bottom, you will always need to skip one field and then go up which is counter-intuitive. Switching the fields would IMO lead to a better UX.

3 Likes

I think it was done this way because we would say “minor second” in real life. But I agree, it is odd.

IIRC I think this is already on the development team’s radar.

I would prefer this as a single control, containing a list of all intervals sorted in this order:

d1, P1, A1; d2, m2, M2, A2; d3, m3…

(but obviously all written out in words). Especially if typing eg 4 would automatically select the first interval of a fourth in the list (d4).

J

That sounds cumbersome to me.
I can see switching the position of the Quality and Interval fields as a worthwhile improvement.

1 Like

Why do we have to adjust two controls to set one variable? There is no need to separate them here, even though they contain two parts, because in the overwhelming majority of cases, the user enters the dialog knowing the interval that they wish to set.

That kind of begs the question “why not just type that stuff straight into the Shift-I popover?”.

2 Likes

As someone who began my musical life handwriting scores (and copying my own–and others’–parts by hand) I don’t have as much sympathy as I might for those who look down their noses at any process that takes two mouse clicks instead of one.

Hi Derrek

I am perplexed by your response. I was merely arguing for a UI improvement, pointing out that one control is better than two, sorry if i got the tone wrong.

cheers
Jeremy

1 Like

Agreed. This was one of the things that I found confusing back when I first started using the program. Also the fact that the Transposition dialog wasn’t sticky, or at least didn’t have the option to be sticky as often I would need to repeat a transposition.

1 Like

My issue is these of a Diminished Unison - d1, an interval that does not exist. I understand that Dorico allows this, and can work around it easily enough, but as one who taught this stuff for a long time, it is still bothersome…

1 Like

It’s a reasonable point. A diminished unison has a theoretical existence only, like the key signature for G# major.

the Quality field is placed before the Interval field, but the Quality options depend on the Interval
s you work from top to bottom, you will always need to skip one field and then go up which is counter-intuitive.

Always thought this a bit weird too. I’m used to it now though.

I just checked this in Dorico 4 and it’s still the same. Therefore bumping this up so it maybe gets some attention ;-).

1 Like

They’ve solved the diminished unison thing… I suppose this has more to do with the English way the intervals are described, although one has to reverse engineer everytime you don’t use the tool on the right to define the transposition…

Because you can’t properly transpose a selection with key signature via the Shift-I popover (unless I’m mistaken, which I would welcome). The only kind of transposition I ever need requires a full change of key, with key signature changed as well. As far as I’m aware the popover doesn’t transpose key signatures.