Sustain pedal muting other tracks and not working

Hey everyone, I searched for topics about this but couldn’t find anything relevant to Cubase 12. I’m using an Akai MPK249 on Cubase 12 and when I try to use my sustain pedal, it will mute other tracks and it won’t function on the track I’m trying to record. I found a topic from a few years ago here

Unfortunately, with the changes to Cubase 12 I can’t figure out what I am supposed to do as the options/tabs have been changed. I should mention I still have Cubase 10 installed and my controller/sustain pedal works fine on that (doesn’t mute tracks and it functions properly) but there must be some default preferences that got messed up with Cubase 12. If anyone can help me sort this out I’d be really grateful. Thanks!

If you have either the Pro or the Artist version of Cubase (this won’t work with others, sadly) :
On the involved MIDI/Instrument track, supposed to receive the sustain pedal messages, add the MIDI Monitor plug-in as a MIDI Insert. If your keyboard/sustain pedal is correctly set, you should get something like this :

C12_MIDIMonitor_SustainMessages

The important thing about it is this : you should get Controller and 64 messages as Status/Value1 for each message received when using your sustain pedal. If not, there is a problem with the sustain pedal controller settings on your master keyboard.

Additionaly, if all the other tracks are muted, I suspect that the pedal is triggering a kind of “Solo” command or an equivelent, which is possible if you have either a Generic remote definition working in the background, a MIDI Remote control active or even a third party program processing MIDI messages in real time. Worth to look more closely at these also, I guess…

EDIT : check also if there isn’t an Input Transformer module active and changing the incoming MIDI messages in your track (see in its inspector , just under the Retrospective Record area).

Hey thanks for taking the time to help out! So I tried it in Cubase 12 and I didn’t get a Status/Value message when pressing down on the sustain pedal. However, when I tried it in Cubase 10 I did get the Status/Value message as you posted above. Not sure on how to proceed. I would guess it’s something with 12 because the controller works fine with 10?

If you get the correct messages in C10, you should get the same ones in C12, as there is nothing different between both in this department, beside the MIDI Remote feature. So…

• Do you get any messages when pressing the pedal in C12 ? if so, which ones ? A MIDI monitor screenshot showing the received messages would help, if the latter.
  • Have you checked all what is MIDI channels related ? No mismatch ?
  • Can you post a screenshot of a track showing the issue, with its inspector ? If not, what instrument is used ?
  • Again, have you checked that there is no process affecting MIDI incoming messsages and working in background (Input transformer, remote control definition or script…) ?
1 Like

It’s most likely assigned as some remote controller.

• Do you get any messages when pressing the pedal in C12 ? if so, which ones ? A MIDI monitor screenshot showing the received messages would help, if the latter.

No, no messages at all

• Have you checked all what is MIDI channels related ? No mismatch ?

Could you elaborate on where to look and what to look for?

• Can you post a screenshot of a track showing the issue, with its inspector ? If not, what instrument is used ?

Sure, here are the 2 tracks in Cubase 10. You’ll notice that the pedal is pressed down and that no tracks have been muted

Here are the same tracks in 12. When the pedal is pressed down on the horn track, there is no message and it mutes the horn track. When the pedal is pressed down on the string track, there is no message and it mutes the drum track up top.

• Again, have you checked that there is no process affecting MIDI incoming messsages and working in background (Input transformer, remote control definition or script…) ?

There doesn’t appear to be anything with the input transformers, it’s set to none.

And nevermind, just found the problem in the midi remote control definition. I suppose I could delete the rest of this message but what the heck, I drew up pretty pictures in MS and I want them to see the light of day :p. It looks like the MPK249 was enabled so I clicked disable and it seems to have fixed the problem. No idea how it got switched on, I’m guessing it’s on by default when you install C12. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

As @cubic13 brought up, this sounds like a case where your MIDI port in question is also being used in a MIDI Remote or Generic Remote.
Please verify that this is not the case. Any MIDI port that is used with either MIDI Remote or Generic Remote should be excluded from the In ‘All MIDI Inputs’ under your MIDI Connections.

@bensin - I am having the same problem you had with my Akai MPK249 sustain pedal activating MUTE for the Channel 1 track. In your last paragraph here where you found a solution and disabled your MPK keyboard in the midi remote control definition, would you mind explaining the details on how you did this, please? The exact route you took to click “disable”. Thank you!

Hey it’s been a few months, so my memory is a bit hazy but trying to retrace my steps, I think this is what I did.

Record a MIDI part (literally anything, just press keys)
Double click the midi track, which will open up the editor (where you can add/delete notes, change note length, velocity etc…) To the right of where it says editor at the bottom, you will see sample control → chord pads → midi remote. Open midi remote.

At the top left of this window, you should see “Open Midi Remote Manager” with a small gear on the right, click that. It should open up a new window. Looking at the top left, there are two tabs, Midi Controllers and Scripts. Click scripts, now scroll down through the list of devices and you’ll see MPK249. Click on it, and directly below you will see “enable controller script”, click that to disable it.

If that doesn’t work, I have no idea. It could be an entirely different issue. Hope it helps though!

1 Like

Thank you @bensin !!
It seems that has done the trick and “mute” is no longer being activated when I press the sustain pedal.

1 Like

Hi,

If you are using Mackie Control device, double-check the Input MIDI Port. The Mackie Control protocol is using CC64 as Mute the 1st track of the given bank.

Hello there,

I’m late at this post here, I know, but I found another solution on these. I just got my new Akai MPK261, started to play and had same problems with sustain pedal. Tracks are muted while pressing the pedal. So I came here to find a way to fix it.

My problem with the solution “hit the direct music button” and “disable controller script” is that the Akai won’t work as a midi control board after this options.
But I bought the MPK261, because of its function as midi controller, exspecially with a Cubase preset.

So here’s what I did:
On the Akai MPK261:

1. Edit Mode
  2. Press the pedal
  3. Change Type from “Midi CC” to “Sustain”
  4. Change Midi Channel from “USB A1” to “USB B1”.
  5. “Mode” should be on “Momentary”
  6. Save these settings on the preset mode like the manuel explains

Midi CC knobs, faders, switches etc. and also the sustain pedal works after these steps how it should work.
I hope that it works by other people with this problem too. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hey Man, thanks a lot. This works perfectly.! Thats awesome

2 Likes