Taking the plunge - The mixes...

thanks for watching, guys. :slight_smile:
I don’t want Ian’s thread to get hijacked. I’m very interested to hear how his project develops,
so I’ve started a new thread in the ‘Made With Cubase’ forum where I can share these video’s
with everyone.

Thanks,
Lenny

I’ll certainly post up the mixes when they’re done. Not sure when that will be though!

Anyway, we’re booked us in for a full day session the 27th Aug. Five songs, 10 hours, no worries! :smiley:

^^^ That is a gorgeous looking studio! Work hard, but enjoy every minute of it!

I read a write up of Roundhead studios just after Neil Finn opened it. What a fabulous space. I hope you enjoy yourself and capture some good toonage!!

What a great studio.

2 hours per song, achievable but tight, I presume you’re just getting the basic tracks down?

Well, I am indeed fortunate to have the country’s foremost producer/keyboardist, drummer and engineer onboard so the odds of getting good toonage are hopefully stacked in my favour! :slight_smile:

That’s the plan. Overdubs can be done later - BV’s, extra guitars or whatever. The goal is just to get the essential foundations for each song down, including lead vocals. GULP! :open_mouth:

No way! Not if I have the chance to have Eddie Rayner on keys! He’s gotta be one of the top keyboardists on the planet! :astonished:

Well, I am indeed fortunate to have the country’s foremost producer/keyboardist, drummer and engineer onboard so the odds of getting good toonage are hopefully stacked in my favour! :slight_smile:

That’s the plan. Overdubs can be done later - BV’s, extra guitars or whatever. The goal is just to get the essential foundations for each song down, including lead vocals. GULP! :open_mouth:

No way! Not if I have the chance to have Eddie Rayner on keys! He’s gotta be one of the top keyboardists on the planet! :astonished: And as ironic as it may seem… I’ll be playing guitar :astonished:

You offering? :wink:

:stuck_out_tongue:

I want to think that it would be the mixing that would be the truly interesting, educational, and rewarding aspect of working with these guys… I hope you get to do some of that

I’d like to and in fact Ed’s already mixed two (though not complete) of my tunes using my Cubase tracks ( one we did have Michael Barker redo the drums however). I sat in on part of that process but the reality is Ed can spend up to 5 days on a single mix! :astonished:

2 hours to track 5 days to mix, I prefer to do it the other way round :laughing: (only joking)

I wish my clients would allow me that time to mix some of their stuff. :open_mouth:

Eddies 60’s cover band The Conrays recorded 14 songs for their 16-song album in 4 hours in this same studio. (Two tracks were live). He was annoyed. He said if they hadn’t messed around so much they could have knocked it off in 3.5hrs :astonished:
And that’s a true story!

Took him weeks to mix however…

I actually wanted to do six, if everyone knows their parts, which Shayne and I do, and I have no doubt keyboards and drums will be handled with ease, then if we all go in knowing exactly what we need to do then I don’t really see why it should take too long - the songs are only 3.5 minutes long afterall! :slight_smile: Fix ups can be done fairly quickly. However Ed’s limited the total to five because he wants to spend a decent amount of time on the lead vocals GULP! :open_mouth:

Ian, that’s an awesome studio and what a great opportunity for you. Funny, I just was learning the Crowded House song, “Don’t Dream It’s Over” the other day. Synchronicity!!!

Good luck,
Billy

Good luck with the gig, have a great time Ian.

Holy Cow…it’s Bas!! One of the most helpful guys ever on the old forum. It’s been years, hasn’t it? What’s new?

Maybe it’s time to start a tips and tricks thread. :slight_smile:

Holy Cow…it’s Bas!! One of the most helpful guys ever on the old forum. It’s been years, hasn’t it? What’s new?

Maybe it’s time to start a tips and tricks thread. :slight_smile:

You’re a brave man taking that song on! :wink:

Cheers Bas!!??? Bas? :astonished:

there’s an echo in the room! :laughing:

As it happens I godda bad cold over the weekend. :confused:
Decided to reschedule - Sept 24th.

Hi Ian,

What a great opportunity!
Good luck and have fun! :sunglasses:

Cheers,
Wim

Done! Plowed through the five songs, in around 9 hours or so!
And just in case someone was thinking “pics, or it didn’t happen!” … see attached.

:sunglasses:

:sunglasses: :mrgreen: