Tenor voice in Bass Clef not in treble 8 clef

Hello

I would like to have the Tenor voice in Bass Clef not in a treble 8 clef…

How can I change it without changing the correct pitch of the Tenor voice?

Thank you for your answer!
Dorico-Problem.jpg

You can transpose the Tenor sound either in the HALion player or with an Expression Map, but how you would use that puzzles me somewhat since if you wish to combine it with the bass voice on the same staff, you cannot currently have two separate sounds assigned to the same player/staff.

Writing the tenor line (alone) in bass clef would be unusual, but the HALion settings or Expression Map would be the way to go if that is your aim.

I’m not sure what you mean by “correct pitch”. If you want it written with a bass clef, you need to change the treble8 to bass clef and then transpose the result down an octave. If you need help :

select the treble8 clef
open the clef dialog, pick bass clef
select the first note then
edit → select to end of flow (or shift-click the last note)
shift-I t-8 (interval popover transpose down octave)

there is a default +/- octave keystroke, you can also use, but I forgot what it is since i overloaded it to the NUM+/NUM- keys.

…Ctrl-Alt-up/down is an octave shift.

The Tenor voice “instrument” in Dorico transposes down an octave, regardless of the clef used. This is because the ottava clefs in Dorico are not transposing: they are merely ‘cosmetic’. If you want to use a different clef, then use a different Singer instrument (Voice, Baritone, etc). If you need to switch between the Tenor G8 clef and other clefs, then you need to follow the instructions here to install a ‘patch’ that gives you a transposing G8 clef.

Thanks for all answers!

I’m not sure if I’m misunderstanding something here but wouldn’t it be simpler to just assign a different clef to the instrument? For convenience, I’m often assigning bass clef to tenor saxophones in concert pitch view.

1. Click in the first bar of the instrument
  2. Press Shift-C for the clef popover
  3. type “g” (or I guess “treble” would also work) to get a treble clef
  4. context-click the clef, go to the “Clef” menu
  5. select the desired clef for transposed and/or concert pitch

VIPStephan, you are indeed misunderstanding something. The tenor voice sound automatically transposes down an octave because the 8va bassa G clef doesn’t transpose down an octave. That means that if you assign an F clef to a tenor voice, it sounds an octave down.

Ah, so it transposes regardless of the clef? That’s a bummer. Would be nice if it would register a clef change and transpose automatically.

It transposes regardless of the clef. The difficulty here (and this has been discussed on this forum at length) is that for many octave-transposing instruments, there’s no dominant convention. Piccolos and glockenspiels are often notated with an 8va treble clef but are equally often notated with a regular treble clef. Guitars and double basses are often notated with 8va bassa clefs but often notated with a regular (treble or bass) clef. No piccolo, glockenspiel, guitar or double bass player would ever play at “concert” pitch, so why should Dorico?

That still leaves the problem of the cases when the octave-clef does have significance. Benjamin Britten may have been the first composer to use the clefs in his piano writing as a less cluttered alternative to 8va-with-dotted-lines, but I believe others have followed him in this. If they compose using Dorico, their music is played backin the wrong register.