The new forum is confusing

I find this new forum super confusing and very frustrating. Issues get pointed out by users, but there never seems to be any acknowledgement from moderators re these issues getting reported.

Could you please provide us with an easy to use feature in the forum for reporting issues/bugs? As it is now, it seems that issues get pointed out and then just disappear in the multitude of topics.

/Magnus

6 Likes

One thing I find really annoying is that you canā€™t filter using more than one tag at a time.

So if I want to see tags Cubase 11 and Issue, I canā€™t.

Instead I have to select Issue only and end up seeing a bunch of Cubase 9 issues and a lot of other things that clutter things up.

I think it definitely needs more work.

Also I think we need to get used to tagging the post appropriately, myself included.

1 Like

I agree. Itā€™s confusing and messy. Itā€™s more pleasing for the eye than the old one but not from the practical point of view.
It was better when everything had its own section. Not like now where you have to choose a tag and then scroll down forever (if they thought that it will keep people for a longer time on a forum because it works on FB or Twitter then they are completely wrong).

2 Likes

Please take some time to learn how to use the various features that differentiate Discourse from other forum systems.
e.g., you can search using multiple tags

2 Likes

Steve, thanks for suggesting this. However, the very idea of having to learn a new way of accessing and retrieving information on an internet forum is slightly, hm, how shall I put it, well, oddā€¦ Why not just use a forum structure that is familiar to most users, instead of opting for a novel way of organising things.

Also, I have been trying for over a week to get a moderator to acknowledge an issue I have with the latest C Pro update, but to no avail. I have no idea to this day if my issue has been reported as a bug. But the very same day I complain about the labyrinthine, almost kafkaesque experience this forum now offers, a moderator pops up - albeit not to acknowledge my concern.

I just wish the same thing would happen to my real issue, that I am trying to report.

Just for fun: What is the supposed benefit of this strange forum system? Personally, it just making me tiredā€¦

Best,

Magnus

6 Likes

There were many, many problems with the old forum that could not be fixed ever. Spam filtering was incredibly labor intensive, the old forum didnā€™t provide for any the modern conveniences such as copy and pasting images into posts, the search facility was nearly useless, etc., etc., etc. The bullet had to be bitten. We all have to climb the learning curve.

Whatā€™s the link to that? Iā€™ll lookā€¦ By the way-- moderators are not technical support staff nor even Steinberg employees, unless it is stated in their profile. Being on the beta testing team Iā€™m able to file bug reports-- so I do that when I can, on my own time. Since youā€™re in the EU you do have access to creating Steinberg Support tickets.

1 Like

Iā€™ve done a complete 180 from hating to really liking (forums cannot be loved) this new forum.

This happened when I stopped trying to use this forum the same way I used the old one and instead figured out how to set it up so it worked for me and not against me.

Itā€™s like trying to swim but insisting on only using rock-climbing moves - ainā€™t gonna work very well.

4 Likes

Finally. Yes! Yes! Oh God, yes!

I find the use of tags to browse categories, looking for a topic of interest, to be counterintuitive. Do you have any tips to offer to make forum browsing more friendly?

Steve, do you have any numbers on forum participation/activity before and after the change?

2 Likes

Hi Steve,

Thanks for offering to look at my issue. This is the link:

And yes, you are correct that I could start a support ticket for it. It is comforting, though, to report here first, and get a confirmation regarding whether the issue is shared with others or merely specific to my setup.

I accept the reasons you state for the forum change: I wasnā€™t aware of that. Also, I wasnā€™t aware that moderators are not Steinberg connected. Sorry for that.

I still think that the new format is confusing and counterintuitive. A help section would be more than useful. I have been active in a multitude of forums and groups on the internet since the mid-1990s, so the features and functionality of this forum feels a little bit too much as a parallel universeā€¦

Best,

Magnus

Thanks for that tip Steve. I guess I only use the search function when Iā€™m searching for a particular topic. Handy to know tags are included too.

What worked for me is I stopped trying to use tags to find the things I want to see and instead use them to filter out stuff I donā€™t want to see. On the old forum Iā€™d read/catch-up a bunch of sub-forums every day, going from one to the next until Iā€™d looked at them all - which now seems pretty clunky to me. On here I go to the ā€œUnreadā€ tab to see the threads Iā€™m already active in. Then I go to the ā€œLatestā€ tab, scroll down to find the Red Line marking my last visit & scroll through the posts bottom up.

Everything I might be interested in is shown on the ā€œLatestā€ tab & anything new that Iā€™m already engaged in is in the ā€œUnreadā€ tab.

The ā€œNewā€ tab is a subset of the ā€œLatestā€ tab so I could ignore that if I didnā€™t have an overwhelming urge to zero out the new message count.

2 Likes

Hi @GlennO ā€“ What Iā€™ve done for this is to configure preferences>categories and mute all categories Iā€™m not interested in, and then make the default in preferences>interface Default Home Page

No, but itā€™s clear that some people have not been posting as much as they used to, and on the other hand some people are posting more than they used to. Iā€™m of the opinion that once people understand how to use it it will meet or exceed previous usage statistics. :nerd_face:

1 Like

I think part of any change like this is that folks tend to really notice things we find annoying even if only slightly. While we tend to not notice new improvements - partially because new things havenā€™t been available long enough for folks to recognize the usefulness of the new thing.

Yesterday I realized how beneficial the ease of inserting pics here is. I was replying to a basic configuration question. On the old forum Iā€™d have gone something like:

Go to Studio>Blah>BlahBlah and blah blah blah

And this would take a few minutes to write. But yesterday I just took a screenshot & highlighted the key things to look at - no words at all. Under 30 seconds total for response that is clearer and way more useful than the old way.

On the flipside, when I changed how I looked at the forum (as described above) it caused me to go from reading each sub-forums posts all together to having all of them jumbled together in one list. Initially this really bothered me. But after a couple of days I realized it didnā€™t matter if they were jumbled together and the only reason Iā€™d wanted them grouped together is because thatā€™s what I was used to, nothing more than that.

1 Like

I am new to this forum and Iā€™m struggling to figure out how to ask a question about cubasis 3.
Please point me in the right direction.

Happi days

Hi Welcome. If you click on the Steinberg logo in the top left corner youā€™ll get to the main page. Cubasis is listed in the 3rd row, 3rd column .

https://forums.steinberg.net/

1 Like

Iā€™m sure my experience is irrelevant here, but Iā€™ll share it anyway. I visited the old forum on a daily basis. I became so frustrated just trying to find anything on this new one that for a long time I just stopped visiting. Today I had a topic that I remembered was part of a discussion on the old forum, so I searched on it and foundā€¦ well, just one post alluding to the issue. No thread. No clue about how to proceed.

I learned from the old forum. Today I am reminded of why I stopped visiting. RIP.

3 Likes

@rtorstrick
I have whined enough about it, since last decemberā€¦ Nearly a year after, I can say that I more or less got used to it, this, despite all these :

1. There is no indication that a given user X has answered to a post immediataly above him from Y, contrarily to whatā€™s happening if the post from Y is separated from the X one by, at least, one post. Result : a lot of time lost, trying to decipher if given answers are replies to the ones immediatly above them or not.

2. If X try, as a workaround to make things more comprehensible, to quote the Y post, the said quote wonā€™t appear and worse : it actually marks X post as ā€˜Editedā€™ (the pencil appears with 1 or 2, it depends, on the top right of it). This, as there is no numbering of the posts in a given thread, which would help us to, at least, precise at which one we are actually answeringā€¦

3. The tags mess. Still not fixed : why is there in it Issue and Issues ? This with a non alphabetical order of it. In addition, a lot of threads are started with partial/erroneous tags or even no tag at all : how to make tag filtered researches in these cases ? :face_with_monocle:

4. The Vote system : for several months, as I have used all the votes I had, I couldnā€™t place one on any feature request. This until recently, when I accidentaly hovered my mouse over the vote area in a thread. I then saw that I have againā€¦ 2 votes. Thanks a lot for theseā€¦ :grin:

5. The endless window for the thread list which forbid the use of CTrl+F (quick search). I know, there is a dedicated search function, but stillā€¦

Overall, saying that there is room for improvements is an euphemismā€¦

I prefer the Facebook Cubase Users group, TBH.