The New MIDI Remote is

Hi Jochen, I hope the following line can help:
In: F0 00 20 6B 7F 42 02 00 00 15 7F F7 | Sysex

Hi @music95, the sysex-id response coming from the hardware should look like that:
F0 7E 00 06 02 00 20 6B xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx F7

“F0 7E 00 06 02” means sysex-id response
“00 20 6B” is the vendor ID of Arturia
and after that comes the bytes pointing to the device family and model.
In the script we defined 02 00 05 48, but it looks like we’ve made a mistake here.

But wouldn’t it be great if you could? You could use any midi controller you have to create a UI, open it into another window on a touch screen and have whatever controller you want!

Edit: Oh, so late on this one.

Please, vote and voice your opinion in the feature thread I made, we can brainstorm ideas, and maybe Jochen or Matthias could chime in!

It would be really handy if a MIDI Remote script could be written so that Notes and CCs could be passed on to a track.

I suspect that there is a setting I can do in the script to tell Cubase not to capture a given message, and to let it continue on to a track.

Also, it would be handy if there was a way to add more than one port to a MIDI Remote, maybe I just haven’t dug deep enough yet, but I can’t figure that one out either.

Letting the messages through even though they are converted into parameter changes is very counter intuitive. You easily get in conflict between written parameter automation and recorded CC lanes.

1 Like

…yes, I only debug in this way.

1 Like

When I send a sysed-id request with F0 7E 7F 06 01 F7 this is the reply I have:
F0 7E 7F 06 02 00 20 6B 02 00 05 58 3E 0A 01 01 F7
So the correct value is 05 58 instead of 05 48 for the model
I changed the script with .expectSysexIdentityResponse(‘00206B’, ‘0200’, ‘0558’) and now it works.
Thanks again.

2 Likes

^This really is critical, and agree. There needs to be the “selected track” options as before, or provide us with the options to page through the layers of quick controls and we can define the mappings using the remote editor.

2 Likes

Lordy, just a typo. Thanks for finding!
Will be part of the next maintenance update then.

2 Likes

Will there be any chance of being able to map to quick control layer changes? I did raise a post about this here:-

1 Like

I’ve been assigning my controllers with this section - but there are still a lot of missing parameters. No per-channel control over Channel Strip processors or Inserts, for instance. I’m going to have to revert to Generic Remote for now. I love the way Midi Remote works - so I hope more parameters will be included soon.

3 Likes

Yup, that did the trick. I removed the controls from the gui and the MIDI is passed directly through from the controller now! THX!!

I’m new to Cubase and pretty impressed with 12 so far. Is there a place where people can upload or link the custom scripts they’ve created and people like me who are useless with scripting can lurk until a script for our hardware has been shared by somebody else? I’m using a PreSonus Faderport Single, and not all of the buttons are recognized by the Midi Remote editor. I’ll reach out to PreSonus, but I won’t hold my breath.

How to access QC controls on Massive X or Omnisphere/Trillian? There’s no QC button (and some other buttons are missing).
Here’s Padshop
and Trillian

BTW, is there a keyboard shortcut to open the QC controls on a VST?

1 Like

I’ve also been poking around with this new tool. It is amazing! It’s done right and it makes sense right from the , and with a minimum of effort we’re up and running, it’s intuitive and easy to navigate … but what good would that be if it isn’t very powerful. It’s not very powerful. It’s EXTREMELY powerful and the best of all, it’s MIDI Remote 1.0.0 …
This looks sooo good now and for the future!
s l o w c l a p !!!

Yeah, a lot of the NI plugins do not show the QC button etc. I think it’s their slightly odd non-conformist way of programming their VST plugs. Not sure if anyone at Steinberg can suggest a workaround?! The QC controls are actually doing something, just that we cannot reassign them to our own taste…

2 Likes

Maybe this is not a Steinberg issue, but in the Spectrasonic plugins these buttons are “hidden” :wink:
This is introduced in C11. Kontakt 6 btw., shows the buttons.
Will be nice if Steinberg can invest here and give us a result, if Steinberg or the vendors must fix this.

1 Like

What I’d really like to know is whether or not the javascript API could let me do something as deep as what the SSL UC1 does - where it can detect ALL instances of the SSL Native v2 channel strip and bus compressor.

What I always struggle with is with different projects having different FX channels and different plugins on different inserts, the Generic Remote has always struggled to allow a nice way of controlling a specific plugin a specifc way reliably - with GR you are either forced due to track offsets to have a template with the same plugs on the same inserts (non-starter) or (as most folks do) be forced to use “Selected Track”. Which is better, but then you need to ensure you have the selected track etc.

Maybe what I’m hoping for - at some point - is way too ambitious, but my hope was the API would allow me to map a certain page of my Faderfox EC4 to for example Valhalla Delay - and then cycle through all instances of Valhalla Delay - or Vintage Verb or whatever.

So far it doesn’t look like this is remotely feasible with the API as it currently stands - which is a shame, as the SSL UC1 impl is AWESOME, and wI’d really like to use my EC4 in a similar fashion, but as it stands that’s going to be a long way off.

I think there is probably something at the core of how Cubase deals with inserts / tracks that make this difficult - but the SSL UC1 proves that it IS possible. I was just hoping that opening up the API to Javascript would have allowed coders like myself to do cool stuff like it.

NB - I ooked through the API documentation and it was unclear to me how inserts can be automated - or even bound, but I appreciated it’s early days yet

In another thread it was pointed out that TQCs can be assigned to CCs as well as other messages:

1 Like