The Windows 10 jitters.

Hi, in a couple of days I will collect my new puter with W10 on it and I’m a bit worried about it…those forced updates :open_mouth: are they really that bad? do they re configure your puter? any pointers to what’s possible to do to make life easier with Cubase 10 on windows 10 would be very helpful… :slight_smile:

cheers, Kevin (a bit worried) :confused:

Hi,

After every single bigger Windows update, I have to run eLCC application as Administrator and click to Maintenance, to fix my Soft-eLicenser. That’s it on my side.

Some users reinstall Cubase (as administrator). It cannot be wrong to do so, you can’t break anything.

If on win10 pro version you have 2 options for updates.

1. Delay each up date by ‘pausing’ the updates and custom setting date for latest possible.

2. Disable the windows updates ‘service’ and do an updates a few times a year by re-enabling and connecting to net.

This will give you breathing space to check forums for any issues found by users.

Thanks guys, I do have W10pro so will follow your advice ckon…and that bit about having to fix your elicencer or re installing Cubase as a consequence of an update is just mad…it;s strange that moving to Windows 10 is a worrying time when it should be an exiting time…
cheers for the info guys…

I’ve not had any issues with forced updates, personally. But it’s a fresh Win 10 install that i’m running since start of the year, and very minimal audio config containing only the stuff i require installed.
As yours is a new Win 10 setup i’d hope you get the same experience. Best of luck, i’m sure you’ll be very pleased with it! :slight_smile:

In addition to the eLicenser issue, I sometimes have to remove and re-install the Yamaha driver for my UR22 after updates. Otherwise, from a Cubase perspective it’s then fine. In general I have found Windows 10 (Home) to be a stable OS.

At the risk of de-railing this thread

Do you guys dual boot with win 10 - one partition for Internet and admin and one streamlined for DAW?

I do that with win 7 currently, Updating to 10 soon and wondered whether it was still advised…

I find a dual boot system to be more unstable and inconvenient personally, particularly if you’re sharing data across secondary drives as there exists the possibility of bringing infected files into an out of date audio partition, plus i’ve had boot problems in the past whereby the partitions managed to swap themselves and change drive letters and i couldn’t even get into safe mode - was a right pain.

Win 10 is equally stable running internet applications alongside Audio production, as it is when setup as it’s own streamlined audio install (in my experience).

For reference, I have a studio PC that has no internet and running Cubase on latest Win 10, and also a laptop that i use for everyday tasks and occasionally running Cubase. In regards to latency/audio performance i can use the same interface on both devices and there’s minimal difference if i use VSTi’s or Guitar amp sims.

The studio (Offline) PC has better DPC latency when i check it using apps, due to having less bloat and network adapters disabled… But in real world use i can barely notice a difference, if i could run the internet out to the studio PC easy then i’d do so, it would only mean enabling one adapter which i don’t think would have any major effect. But it’s running a cable and the fear that i’ll spend too much time procrastinating that’s stopping me, not performance/stability concerns.

To answer your question, (in my opinion) It really depends if you want to have a fully offline partition and/or latency is a primary concern. If you’re aiming for VERY low buffer/latency then yes a streamlined machine will proportionally yield greater results the tighter you go. For me 4-6ms is good so i have not such strict requirements.

I let Win 10 Pro update whenever it wants and I never an issue with Cubase or the eLCC. I would even go as far to say that CB seems to run better after each Win 10 update.

Regards :sunglasses:

Nowadays I use the internet freely on the same system. It’s so convenient for throwing files around the place. I keep Defender up to date and occasionally sweep through with Malware Bytes or similar to clear any Adware off.

I have been burned - wouldn’t boot into windows after updating, not even safe mode. Had to wipe it and reinstall everything.

I’m now running macrium reflect to image my os drive before I allow win 10 to update…

@Brycem. I take a system drive image about twice a year as a back up too.

Never had an issue after a Win10 update. Ironically, I have had to update eLCC or run licenser maintenance a few times after a CUBASE update. I don’t think the Windows updates will be the problem. Most likely problems will be other apps running or checking for updates or email in the background and interrupting the ASIO stream.

Windows 10 updates have never caused a problem with my Cubase 10 installation. On the other hand, after updating Cubase I always need to run eLCC as administrator (once) before starting Cubase.

Lots of interesting comments, I don’t feel quite so worried now, really appreciate the input, thank you.

It’s been explained to me by an MS employee who does a lot of audio work that some copyright protection software - using a dongle or not - uses ‘clever’ ways to secure licenses. Unfortunately those ways aren’t always in line with what MS requires for proper official operation. So if that’s the case the maker of that copyright protection has to update drivers in time for OS updates to keep things working properly. So that explains why sometimes there appears to be incompatibility issues.

I’ve personally deferred feature updates by 365 days and security updates I do regularly (though they can be deferred up to 30 days). In my opinion that’s plenty for both.

I doubt you’re really protecting your device from that much though when you do that. I would imagine that if your computer gets infected with something nasty when using the internet partition it’d spread whatever problems you get onto the machine as a whole.

I think the more practical solution is to stay with one partition and do regular “real” backups you can fall back on should trouble arise.

interesting, re installing the e licencer is not such a big deal I suppose, my new puter is up and running now and isnt quite so scary as I thought and it’s mind bogglingly fast with the os on an MVNe disc…gotta get round to updating my sig…

At the risk of de-railing this thread even more? :smiley:

Unfortunately virus infections are not prevented by using a separate partition that’s not connected to the Internet. You will import them when you are on the Internet with the other partition, probably without you knowing it? Lots of nasty ones write code in for instance any boot-sector it can find and then will be loaded into your system memory during boot. From there it will try to do the damage it was designed for. Especially stuff like ransomware will scan every accessible disk or external media looking for any file it can possibly encrypt.

The best way to keep the risk of an infection to a minimum is firstly have a good up to date virus/malware scanner. And secondly, don’t do your daily work with a user account that has local admin rights. Also create a separate password for your admin account so malicious processes won’t be able to install easily in the background without you knowing about it. Simply right click and choose ‘run as administrator’ should not be possible without entering a valid password! If you need certain programs to run under your admin account then configure them separately. But don’t expose your entire system just because it’s ‘easier’ to configure.

And it’s been said over and over and again…! Make backups on a regular basis! Only you can determine what you can and cannot live without and how often you will need to do this? And make these on external media also stored off site or in the cloud if you still want them after a fire has destroyed everything inside your house?

As for what this thread was actually about, :slight_smile: the Windows 10 feature updates? In my case it’s usually the same suspects that need attention after such an update. Elicenser, Omnisphere and sometimes some other plugins that need reactivation. But it has never been a showstopper and most of the time it was all fixed within 10 minutes or so?

So to anybody out there that is afraid for the next feature update? I’d say, don’t be. So far, from when I started with Windows 10 (v1511) up until now (v1903), what I had to fix was more of a nuisance than an actual problem. I personally never had any major issues. That doesn’t mean it can’t happen of course? But I think that in most cases it’s very unlikely you’ll end up with an unrecoverable situation that forces you to completely reinstall Windows.

I’ve only had to update the eLicenser software, not reinstall…

Very cool you’re happy with your system though. Please let us know what hardware you ended up getting. :slight_smile: