Thinking about reinstall Win7 and all aps

Hi,

Thinking about reinstall Windows 7 and all music programs. What are you suggest to not loose my Cubase 7 settings, presets, connections and plugins like Waves, others, etc ?

Re: Cubase, there’s a good KB article that tells you what all the files in the App Data folder contain as far as settings and presets.

Re: Plugs, if there’s no install app (just .dlls) you can back up the containing folder. Others will have to be re-installed.

Re: OS re-install, make sure you have ALL of the drivers for all peripherals and hardware from chipset on up. Don’t rely on Windows Update for them. Contact the vendor of the system and ask for links to all downloads. Don’t rely on the generic download list. Go to Microsoft to get the order in which drivers should be installed. The most important thing you can do is use Acronis True Image to create an image of the perfect install so that a fresh install is only minutes away instead of hours. It takes a little practice to get everything right, but once you do life is cake. I re-install regularly and Acronis has never let me down. I keep the image on a separate HDD as well as backed up in a couple of other places just in case. I create the bootable media before re-install and don’t install Acronis on the fresh one.

If you want to save your Cubase settings for a fresh install, navigate to: "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase VERSION"

Copy everything in that folder to a safe place. When you reinstall Cubase, you should be able to just drop it all in that same location without any trouble and have all your settings again, provided they’re from the same version (so don’t forget to update!).

If you want to get specific, you could just copy the following files:
“Key Commands.xml”
“Edit Modifiers.xml”
“Score Custom Palettes.xml”
“Window Layouts.xml”

And these folders:
“Presets”
“Project Templates”
“Scripts”

NOTE: This won’t include any custom Track and FX Chain presets you’ve made, you’ll have to fish them up from other places:
FX Chain presets are in "Documents\Steinberg\FX Chain Presets"

Track presets are in "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Track Presets"

Thank you ETB and Plasuma for your help !

Ok, I’v done it and everything is perfect now:

Problem RESOLVED.