Time signature above the system not considered as music in vertical spacing?

Hi Forum,
Having selected to place the time signature above the system in Layout Options, it appears that Dorico does not consider this element as part of the music when performing the vertical spacing.
In fact, as can be seen in the attached image, the time signature overflows the upper limits of the music frame.
Or am I doing something wrong?

The top margin of the Music Frame is related to the top staff and not necessarily the objects that are attached to it.

From the manual:

Top music frame margins set the gap between the top edges of musicframes and the top staff line of the highest staff in the frame.
Bottom music frame margins set the gap between the bottom edges of music frames and the bottom staff line of the lowest staff in the frame.

If you want to make room for the higher time signature then just increase the value of the top margin in Layout Options. This will force the top staff away from the top margin.

I’d be more worried about the horizontal space - the minim should be further to the right.

Thanks Daniel,
I understand the general principle and the solution is easy.
Nevertheless, since Dorico is full of intelligent collision avoidance functions, it seems strange to me that a time signature placed above the line (an option selectable by default) is not considered ‘musical’ material.
But it’s only a matter of terminology.

:smiley:
This is just my screenshot which does not go all the way to the right edge of the page.

Yes, but it shows the first note, which is directly underneath the time sig.

When using a large time signature above or between staves I always prefer vertical alignment to avoid empty spaces in the stave (if you are referring to that).

This issue was brought up a couple of times in 2018, and Daniel’s responses explain their layout philosophy. In short, keeping the top staff aligned across all pages takes precedence over collisions with the top margin or headers. I couldn’t disagree more, but I am not in charge.

4 Likes

I agree with you Mark, in fact, this approach causes the anti-collision algorithm to behave differently for the first system on the page than for the others as pointed out here.