Transcribing Clair De Lune

Hey gang -

I have taken it upon myself to transcribe Clair De Lune figuring it a good way to really get to know Dorico, and also prep some materials for my students. If you all don’t mind, I will use this thread to ask questions as I work my way through this exercise?

First measure :slight_smile: I figured out how to cross staff beam and get the tied notes aligned, but how do I tie the first 2 chords in the left hand?

I had to make the cross beaming notes in the same voice, which means I can’t make the second chord in the LH in the same voice, so I can’t tie them together.

Thanks everyone.
Cheers
Kayle

1 Like

Select the first Ab and the first F. Cmd/Ctrl-click the second Ab and the second F. Hit T to tie.

This is documented here: Inputting ties

1 Like

I did the same exercise for myself with the very same piece in December. A joy to recopy.

2 Likes

Thanks Leo - I tried selecting the first and hitting T, just didn’t try selecting both, figuring since they are in different voices it wouldn’t work. Should have tried it - :person_facepalming:

Gaaaah, proofread that 2nd bar!

1 Like

Yea. I thought I would enter notes first and go back and proof read Evey 8 bars or so. Still figuring out the best workflow.

Abmaj7 vs Cdim7 sorta changes the analysis a bit though, LOL!

2 Likes

I’m making some slight alterations :]

1 Like

I orchestrated it some years ago. I really like the Suite Bergamasque.

I looked but can’t find where to indicate the m.g. marking - which popover box do you use to indicate it, or is it system text?

Also, I tried to flip the 8th rest up to match the original, but it won’t flip - I am guessing this is something to be fixed in engrave mode? Maybe it has something to do with the voice order?

m.g. marking is a playing technique (under Keyboard sub-panel)
The placement of rests is indeed dependant on the fact that the voice is up or down stemmed.

2 Likes

You have to use the “rest pos.[ition]” property.

2 Likes

Ah, of course - thanks Marc. But I only see m.d. as an option. Is this the modern day equivalent of m.g.?

Why oh why, can I never remember to look at the bottom properties panel for these things? Silly brain.

1 Like

Goodness. Don’t Google french fingering m.d. :scream:

m.g./m.d. = French (main gauche/main droite)
m.s./m.d. = Italian (mano sinistra/mano destra)

You could always modify (or duplicate and edit) the m.s. Playing Technique in order to have a French m.g. Playing Technique.

4 Likes

I think I made my own m.g./m.d. playing techniques a long time ago (press the start to make them default, so that they appear in every new document). Well, as Leo points out, there’s no need for another m.d., since we share it with italians :wink:

Sorry - I read this thread, and did a search in the manual and here, but still can’t make it work. Is there a way to imitate this layout, moving the rhythm dot below the note, as show in the above example?

I tried swapping the voices out, but once I moved it over, same result.

Thanks

Also,
SCR-20220628-fgq
when I select the E# and use the voice column index property to move it over, why doesn’t the sharp glyph move with it?

There is no [vertical] rhythm dot offset option. This is something that I’ve long requested.

3 Likes