Transposing a part of one voice in a 26 voice orchestral score

I’m trying to transpose 42 bars of one voice in a 320 bar 26 voice orchestral part but each time I try it transposes the whole score. I have a clarinet in A for the first 42 bars and then clarinet in Bb for the remainder of the score. How do I transpose just the 42 bars from A to Bb? without affecting the rest of the score. I’ve taken a look at Dorico help but can’t find it. I can highlight the relevant section and can find some transpose tools but can’t get it to work. Thanks

The correct way would be to add an A-clarinet to the Bb-clarinet player in Setup mode, then move the notes of the 42 bars to the A-clarinet in Galley View. You can use Edit->Paste Special->Move to staff below/above

Jesper

1 Like

Thanks Jesper, I think that’s what I have already. I want to do the reverse of this don’t I? i.e. move everything to clarinet in Bb. Thanks

The Clarinet player needs one A and one Bb-clarinet. Then move whatever is going to which instrument in Galley View. In Page View you will only see one instrument. The transposing will be done automatically

Jesper

1 Like

If you already have two clarinets then just select the relevant section and use Write->Transpose

Jesper

If you have two voices already then you need to Edit->Filter to select the relevant voice first,

1 Like

Here’s the page about transposing a selection. Are you by any chance switching the layout between concert/transposed pitch instead?

Jesele is right that if your intention is to have different transposing instruments be played at different times, just make sure the correct instruments have the relevant notes for the relevant bars, Dorico will handle the instrument changes and transpositions automatically. You can see all staves in galley view, and you can for instance move music from one staff to another.

1 Like

Thank you all, I’ll take a look at your suggestions and certainly the difference between Galley view and Page view appears key.

Yes I can see that now

Thanks for those tips which are helpful

got it

Thanks Lillie - no I’m not switching the layout between concert / transposed I don’t think. I can get to the transposing / transpose dialogue box and understand transposing, however I’m still to work the “calculate interval” dialogue correctly for this A to Bb transposition / change of instrument - if the clarinet is already in A and I wish to transpose to Bb why are the “from” and “to” dialogue boxes in C - does Dorico not recognize the existing instrument and I must input “from” as A and “to” as Bb.

Thanks Lillie - no I’m not switching the layout between concert / transposed I don’t think. but its very clever!

That’s not really what the Transpose dialog for - it’s for transposing music from one key/pitch to another, like if you had a run of notes in C major, C-E-G-E-C, that you wanted to be in F major instead, F-A-C-A-F.

For transposing instruments, switch to galley view, and give each instrument the notes it should play. You can do this with the layout in either concert pitch (so input the sounding notes, forgetting about the transposition) or in transposed pitch. You can also change whether the pitches you input are the sounding or transposed pitch.

So for example, if you wanted to hear C-E-G-E-C from the Clarinet in A, followed two bars later at exactly the same sounding pitch but this time played on the Clarinet in Bb, you could input that phrase on the Clarinet in A then copy it to the Clarinet in Bb. Dorico will handle the transposition for you, ie showing the pitches the instrument should play at the relevant times.

If this still isn’t clear, would you like to perhaps share your project or the music that you’re recreating?

1 Like

Thanks Lillie, How would I share the music with you?

You can post it in a comment here in this thread. You can create a cut-down version of it if you don’t want to share the whole thing.

Alternatively, you can direct message me here on the forum (click my profile image on this this reply) and send it to me that way, but of course if you only send it to me, you’re relying on my schedule for a reply! A public comment is likely to get you a response more quickly.

1 Like

Thanks Lillie - shan’t post it on public forum because it’s copyright protected but depending on where I get to I might message it to you

perhaps I’m struggling with the tense of the verb in this - my intent is to have a transposed instrument in the final score from the original score after transposing - perhaps I need to read up on some theory since as a player I’ve just transposed as I played

Dorico does the transposing for you: if you e.g. input the notes that should be heard by the audience, but they are played by a transposing instrument like Trumpet in Bb or Horn in F, Dorico will make sure the pitches that appear in the transposing part layout are the ones the player should play in order to produce the desired sounding pitch.

If you want your score to show the “played” pitches (rather than the “sounding” pitches), you can have that too – no need to change the notes yourself, just toggle the “view”.

If you’ve got some pictures or something of what it is you have now, and what you want to end up with, that might be helpful in getting to a definitive end result.

1 Like

Thank you Lillie, I think I can manage individual part transposition although the Transpose dialogue box sometimes won’t do what I’d like it to do because I’m probably asking it the wrong way and I’m playing around with the correct prompts. I can also transpose a few bar section of a staff most of the time but sometimes it won’t do what I’d like it to do, and again perhaps I’m asking it the wrong way.

What I have is a transposing score i.e. the notes are as the player would see and play them in their own instrument.

I’ve transcoded a 26 player orchestral score to a concert wind band score which sounds to me surprisingly rather acceptable - well Done Dorico!!. However many parts now are 5# and 6# which may be too challenging to play. The orchestral piece itself has a sequence of melodies in different keys being A Major, F Major, D major, E Major, D Major, Bb Major and A Major with perhaps a two or three bar transition between each key / melody.

Therefore I’d like to transpose that, such that it’s easier for Bb and Eb instruments more commonly found in a concert wind band to read and play. That will naturally take it out of its original pitch which is not ideal to the purist but could be acceptable.

I’ve tried transposing the whole score but haven’t yet been able to use the Transpose dialogue box because I don’t know the correct prompts or that, for example, the “Number of Divisions” down or “Calculate Interval” dialogue can’t be invoked. It may be that I have to transpose a full orchestrated 24 bar section in a different way from the others which may need an extra transition bar either side. I think I know where I’d like to get to but it’s getting there that’s a bit of a challenge.

Finally, by transcoding a string instrument on to a wind instrument I’ve ended up with some notes out of the wind instrument’s register (too high or too low). I may try and use a different destination instrument. How would I transpose a sequence of bars down a complete octave such that the notes are the same, but an octave lower?. I can do that for single notes but not I think for say 8 bars. I’ve tried using the dialogue box but again can’t invoke it.

Thanks

You can transpose an octave up/down selecting the notes and alt-cmd-up/down. And you can change/add another key command if you want (I use num+ and num- these days).
You can use the Transpose feature in conjunction with the system track (alt-t). You select regions that allow for a certain transposition. Sometimes you need to transpose to a major third down (F to Db), sometimes to a diminished fourth (Eb to B), hence the need to select the regions and do a sequential job. Using the system track selects everything: chord track, key signatures, etc. So the transposition job is very clear. Hope it helps!

1 Like