Trying to record midi in Cubase Artist 11 from an older Casio keyboard

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this issue. I got a cable with USB on one end and MIDI in and MIDI out on the other end and I’m trying to record MIDI with an old Casio keyboard (the wk-1630) and. I am having an issue where my MIDI will play back with audio through Cubase and the MIDI indicator lights up but when I try to export MIDI via the Export Audio Mixdown, I just get a flat line with no audio.

Welcome !
The Export Audio Mixdown can be difficult to set, at first. FWIW, I just made a quick test with an external instrument (a Yamaha TX802 connected to the DAW via 2 ADAT inputs for audio and MIDI DIN connectors), as yours, with the following settings in the related window (afetr having forgot to adjust correctly the locators placement…) :

So, few advices from it :

1. Be sure of the connections of BOTH MIDI and audio signals. Seems that it’s already the case, but still…
  2. Be sure to set the locators rightly.
  3. Keep only the Main out channel ticked at first, to iron out any routing issue.
  4. For the After export setting, use the Create Audio Track option to quickly see the result.
  5. In the Conflicts one, use the Create Unique File Name option to avoid any file management issue.
  6. Be sure that the Realtime Export option is ticked. Often slower, but from experience, it’s the only truely reliable way to export a MIDI based work.

With these, you should be ready to go…

Are you trying to record the sounds from the Casio keyboard or vst instrument. If vst instrument then the answer above will help. If however you are recording the Casio sounds then you will need to record the audio out of the Casio and rendering will not work as the Casio us not part of Cubase.

I’ll quote myself…

From which, the screenshot I posted previously shows precisely the use of the Export Audio Mixdown function when an external instrument is involved. What to say ? it just works, this way… :neutral_face:

That will teach me not to fully read the post :grimacing:

1 Like

Ha ! No harm done, really… :slightly_smiling_face:

Ok, so I tried the above things. I did realtime export and created an audio track after export but I’m still getting a flat line. Usually what I do for MIDI (USB type B to type A) is create and audio track to receive the MIDI and convert it to audio. I have the export audio mixdown dialog box open but I don’t have an option for Main Out. I selected Stereo Out for my output. It could be a Cubase Artist thing but I don’t know for sure.

Update: So I seem to have gotten the MIDI export to work but I’m having a weird thing where the Midi is an octave lower and really slow. Edit: I guess it was coming through the wrong keyboard.

Are you sure that the sample rate used on all your gear matches ? Because the one octave lower and slow symptoms look like there is a problem here. At first, I would check both the Sample rate in the Project Setup window and the sample rate used by the audio interface.

I checked it and it seems to match. I’m trying to create an audio track that will receive the MIDI but the Casio (It seems to be called ‘USB MIDI’)
doesn’t show up in the Audio Connections dialog box.

An audio track cannot receive directly MIDI messages. To get audio signals, you’ll have to connect the audio outputs of the Casio to available audio inputs of your interface and select these in the Input Routing drop down box of the involved audio track inspector.

What is your interface, by the way ?

I’m just using a USB to MIDI cable

Then I’m afraid that, unless you have an audio connection, you won’t be able to record anything. At a point, audio needs to be collected somewhere before being recorded.

I guess that there is an audio chip on your computer : if not done, try to activete it and use with it something like ASIO4All to be able to use it as an interface replacement.

How would I activate my chip? I have ASIO4ALL installed but I do not see my ‘USB MIDI’ device on the ASIO4ALL control panel.

You won’t see your midi device in asio4all because it’s not an audio device. You are getting totally mixed up between audio and midi.

So connect you midi so it players your keyboard. Connect the audio output of the keyboard to the audio in of your computer. Play the midi and record the audio using the asio4all driver in Cubase.

You can’t record audio over a midi interface, only midi. If still confused I suggest you do some searching up on what midi is. Simply midi is just instructions on what sound to play and how loud to play it. Ok there is more to it than that but it really is just messages and not audio,

How would I connect the audio? My keyboard only has MIDI in and out, a phones/output port and a sustain port. Would I plug a 1/4 inch jack to USB into the phones of my keyboard?

You would have to use the phones out but not to usb. Does your pc have an audio input? If not there is no way you can do it. Why not use vst instruments like halion that comes with Cubase for sounds? Or get a audio interface which will have inputs and outputs.

Yeah, my PC does have an audio output. The reason I want to record MIDI instead of using a VST instrument is because I want to be able to use all of the keyboard sounds.

Did you mean your pc has a audio input? It’s an input you need so you can go from the headphone out to the pc audio in. Remember midi is not audio. It is just instructions to you keyboard telling it what to play. When you record midi in Cubase you are recording these instructions so you can send them back to the keyboard. The keyboard will then respond according to the messages sent to it and play out if it’s audio output.

Yes I meant input. I have a 1/4 inch jack to 8mm jack adapter. I tried to use it but I am still not getting any audio indication from Cubase like I am from my other keyboard with the USB connection. My keyboards are connected to a mixing board; the headphone out is connected to a channel on the mixing board. What I did was connected a 1/4 inch male to female cable to the mixing board channel insert and connected the 8mm jack via the 1/4 to the 8mm adapter to my computer. I don’t know a lot about mixing boards so I am unsure what the channel insert port does.