two licences: Pro and Elements

I have been on the road for a month with my Laptop using Sibelius again - because I can run Dorico on one computer only - without dongle. As the new Dorico 2 Elements is only 99$ could I not buy this version and put it onto my Laptop, so I can write my music in Dorico 2 Elements, whilst been away from the home computer?
I know about some Engraving limitations, but I could start projects being on the road with Dorico Elements and finish them at home. Does this make sense?

Of course. Cubase users do the same with Cubase Elements and Pro.

I’m considering doing the same, and have a related question;
Dorico Elements is restricted to 12 players. How does this work with existing projects that contains more? Can I continue working on a bigger project created in Dorico Pro?

as far as I have understood, more than 12 players will get displayed, but you can not work on those files in Dorico Elements.

Limited to 12 players (but they can hold multiple instruments, etc.)

Any project created in Dorico Pro will open just fine in Dorico Elements. If it has more than 12 players, it will open read-only: you can play it back and print it, but you can’t edit it or save it.

Thanks a lot, that’s very good to know!

I’m considering buying a Dorico Elements licence too (same reasons as for user k_b) But before I do so, I’ld like to make sure about this:
When I start a score in Dorico Pro that contains features not available in Dorico Elements (i.e. custom key signatures, note heads, ossia staves a.s.o.): do these features show up when opening the score in Dorico Elements but can not be edited? Do they stay in the score when the score is saved again in Dorico Elements?

Thanks, Thomas

… just bought Dorico 2 Elements :slight_smile:
Works fast and fine.

I thought I had read that Steinberg will allow to use Dorico on 2 computers with next version. Which should be version 2 now.
???

ReiRe, I have read that too… But using Dorico 2 Elements in the mean time will take some urgency off that issue - at least for me :slight_smile:

No, we had not made that commitment for this version. We are working on a replacement for the current eLIcenser that will provide greater flexibility in the future, but Dorico 2 uses the same licensing scheme as Dorico 1.

Daniel, if I read this right, there has been positive feedback from “the suits” (management) that the licensing flexibility issue has been given a “go ahead” to find an answer that would satisfy both users and the folks in Hamburg? If so, very encouraging!

Work has begun on a replacement for the current eLicenser technology, but I cannot say when the new licensing technology will be available.

Out of curiosity, are you at liberty to give any of the specifics of this new system? For instance, I know that many of the users (myself included) would be ecstatic if “greater flexibility” meant an active license on two machines, but I don’t think anyone on the team has actually stated that that was the eventual plan. I do remember seeing talk of being able to move one’s license back to the soft e-licenser after having it stored on a usb licenser. While the latter would be great, and would definitely qualify as greater flexibility, I know a good many of us are hoping for the former.

It would be imprudent of me to make any promises on behalf of the team working on this, but I don’t think it’s revealing too much to say that the new system will be account-based and rely on periodic connection to a license server out on the Internet to validate that your specific user ID is allowed to run the software, with tokens provided on a more temporary basis to your computer to allow it to run. Although it’s not a given that this means that you will definitely be able to run a single license on two computers at once, the planned approach certainly makes this possible. In other words, it will be a matter of policy rather than technical limitation as it is today, which I think is a step in the right direction.

That is definitely a step in the right direction :slight_smile:

Daniel, Great news. Thanks for being as transparent (as usual) as is prudent…you have always been extremely forth coming and helpful in your support of both the program and users!

Greetings, this is an older thread, with the last post from June 8th- but has anything moved forward with the newer licensing format?
I love the way it works with “Reason” where it phones home to ID my machine, and it also gives me a usb stick to use on other machines if need be, very convenient, and efficient. Great work on the 2.2 update!!! Bravo.

Not yet.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Trust me, when a 2-computer license is possible and working, the forum will be positively sparkling with kudos and thanks for the option! :wink: