Unable to implement Ped. over a row of value decreasing notes

There is no problem to implement the Ped. for the rest of the piece but there are two phrases where I give each note a lesser value then its predecessor - to imitate fanned beams accel. fx - but I can’t for some reason - use the Ped. there. I am able , however, to use Ped. in a similar imitation which is using the tempo graph in piano roll to create the fx needed ( where all notes gets the same value of 1/16 ) but not over a series of notes as mentioned…
I am not even sure that there is a connection but it happens only on these notes…

Also - how can I edit the Ped. via piano roll , I didn’t see any option to present the Ped. line…

Thank you all.

You can’t edit the pedal lines directly in the MIDI CC editor, but you can add your own data in the editor for CC64 that will have no graphical representation in the notation itself.

It appears that I was underestimating the problem.
It seems that for whatever reason I can not any longer introduce the Ped. graphically as of that certain point in the piece.
I could see when I enter the Ped. the doted lines placing it - but it doesn’t appear graphically - which is a must in order to communicate with a prospective performer.
Since I was using system and frame breaks - I tried to remove all of them completely (which causes some chaos ) but that didn’t help either.
I really don’t know how to solve this problem and will appreciate your guidance.
Best - Rami.

Does it help to know that you can add pedal marks to any stave on a grand staff instrument, not just the bottom one, and the pedal will appear underneath? If not (and I’m sure I’ve said this to you before), please upload the project; there’s not much we can suggest based on text alone.

How is your Ped continuation set in Properties? You ought to be able to see the line (and extend it with CRTL+ALT+Arrow (CMD+OPT+Arrow on a Mac, IIRC).

Thanks Derrek.
I am not sure how to check for and what to look for in the Ped. properties.
When I do CTRL+SHIFT+Arrow, the line continues but I can’t see it… there is no graphic representation of the Ped. at all beyond a certain bar.
Thanks again.

Pedal lines are always attached to the real staves belonging to an instrument. If you actually remove both the real staves belonging to the instrument, leaving only ossia staves, the pedal lines won’t show. If, on the other hand, you use Manual Staff Visibility to hide the real staves, the pedal line will still show.

To the best of my knowledge this has nothing to do with the note values diminishing.

Good, Although your knowledge of this system is profound and through - I’m not sure I like your attitude which is bossy and belittling. . I’ll appreciate if you refrain from replying to my future support request in tuture.
Thank you very much.

Be careful what you wish for… :slight_smile:

All the best, Benji

I’m a fellow user. I don’t work for Steinberg. I took time out of my evening to help you solve a problem, a problem that only I could solve because you PMd the project to me rather than posting it publicly…

“Thank you” is the traditional response.

10 Likes

You should click on Leo’s profile, have a look at his history and see how active, helpful, and valued he is on this forum.

Whenever communicating only via words, there’s always some tone lost in translation. Still, I think with his record that Leo deserves an apology and a “thank you” as well.

2 Likes

I did say " thank you very much “.
I will not send an original music composition without an arrangement even though
He " said this to me b4” & his last phrase remark was too unneeded and seemed more as a twitch then anything else.

Your reply read “Good” for a day or so, and your “thank you very much” is (at least to me) to your request that I refrain from answering your requests in future, as opposed to being a “thank you for helping solve my problem”.

Uploading a project is often a necessity, and is requested in the forum guidelines, and I did tell you a couple of Sundays ago here.
It’s factually accurate.

4 Likes

At first I’d like to note that it is a virtue to help a person in need and you as well as all of Dorico’s team are really doing great in that respect. I’ve even added a thank you note to the Dorico team in the dedication page of my 1st project with Dorico.
As for adding in the project, although I completely trust the integrity of the people her - there is always a certain discomfort in adding in an original composition even though for sure it’s the best way to solve the difficulty – yet I prefare to have a contact being formed prior so that I know who am I dealing with… art music projects sometimes takes years to complete , they are not like drum machine writing…

I have also found your remark concerning the rhythmically value diminishing notes to be – as you’ve said so yourself – completely irrelevant to the solution you’ve brought in – so why insinuating?
And I remind you that the entire issue from a to z wouldn’t have come up if Dorico would have implemented properly the fanned beam option…

The title of this thread suggests that you thought the problem was somehow related to the note values diminishing. My last line aimed to clarify that the diminishing note values are unrelated to the problem.

Nobody ever did reply to my question about competing products playing back (or not playing back) fanned beams. I’m pretty sure that none of them can do this. Either way, please don’t try to hold me accountable for what Dorico can or cannot do; it’s no more in my control than it’s in yours.

I’m out on this one. Please don’t send projects directly to me in future.

4 Likes

I was thinking about all of this for several days…
I believe I was perhaps over sensitive.
So I’d like to end this on a good note and thank you again for your support and willingness.
That said:>
1).I’d yet recommend before you that you shale try in the future to avoid phrases like “I told you this already” or “how many times do I have to tell you this” or similar expressions and as a whole - try not to come down on people you support who happens to know less than you at a particular point in time regarding Dorico - that’s if you want them:
a). to learn by your examples,
b). to be positive about this software,
c). to respect you and themselves when they ask questions
d). to have fun throughout the Dorico experience.

Your knowledge base is very good, perhaps you’d care to review your ways of phrasing as a help desk person (working or not with Steinberg I don’t know but you are considered a help desk personal regarding Dorico’s… and b.t.w. most support centers do have formalities protocols regarding the way their employees are working out matters with clients - o.k. - you have said that you are not an employee… ) not an easy job at all.
I can bring in another expression of yours where I felt you are angry with me… so I hope you’ll give all that a bit of a thought…

2). Fanned beams is just but one from many of the aleatoric music notation vocabulary that has become very popular because of its expressive strength and roots.
The real question is not weather a certain software can offer the client proper fanned beams but what are the abilities of the program to tie between any given sound phenomena to the composer’s graphic symbol language for it - all that - in the world of MIDI, that’s proper midi meaning representation with the accuracy of music computed .

I know fanned beams do exist in Sibelius Ultimate and only there, to what extant does it work well - that I don’t know…

So I’d appreciate now to leave this subject behind and done with - I believe no further comments are needed under this topic now…
you are welcome to accept or not what I had to say but I’d wish to stop any further discuses this - if you can see this topic closed - thank you very much.

Bests to you.