Unexpected Behaviour with local/global Chord Symbols

Steps:

• create new project with 2 players (electric guitar, piano) and 2 bars
  • enter in bar 1 chord symbol, for example D via shift-Q
  • enter in bar 2 for example F via shift-Q
  • select D chord-symbol in piano , double click, press alt-enter (or alt-L, then enter)
  • result: D chord is local as expected
  • next: select F chord in piano symbol and double click
  • result: it’s already presented as if it was local, but it clearly isn’t (bc in the guitar it’s still marked blue, and deleting it also deletes the chord symbol in the guitar).
  • no combination of alt-L, alt-G or alt-Enter will turn it into a local chord symbol.

In general it would be nice to be able to select multiple chord symbols and do right-click > convert to local chord symbols.
In our annual musical project, we receive projects from students, who not always enter the chords in their part as local chords. This causes big problems when trying to combine different parts into a score.

P.S. sorry for the bad english today, I’m on a run.

1 Like

Thanks for reporting this: I’m looking into it and will report back once I’ve had a closer look.

1 Like

I’ve had a chance to look into this further and I believe I have a fix for the problem, such that Dorico will correctly show whether or not an existing chord symbol is global or local when the popover opens. All being well, this will be included in the first Dorico 4 maintenance update.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, Daniel! Will that fix also include a new/improved way of changing chord symbol‘s local/global properties?

No, it will only affect the popover opening for an existing chord symbol showing the incorrect global/local state.

Perfect, thank you again!

I find the behavior a little confusing, apart from the improper state display in the popover. Let’s say I have inadvertently created a local chord somewhere. If that is in the same rhythmic position of a global chord, then I can select the local chord(s) and press Delete. All is well, and the local chord is replaced by the global chord as one would expect. If I happen to select the global chord and press Delete, then the global chord disappears from all instruments, and the local chord remains. Again that is sensible.

Of course, in order for any of that to make sense, one must be certain which is the global and which is the local. It may not be obvious, indeed, they might actually be visually identical (e.g. a global chord of “C7” at the same rhythmic position as a local chord of “C7”. I think it would be helpful to have a different color for local chords, or some other way to quickly differentiate.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, Craig. It’s a small thing, but Dorico does already append (local) to the description of the chord symbol in the status bar, which may be helpful for the time being?

Yes, every little bit helps. I don’t think I will have a problem with it in the future as I have been through a cycle of puzzlement and have an idea of what is going on now. But I worry about the first impressions of a new user.