UR interfaces audio drop outs (follow-up thread)

I just wanted to mention that on my new machine (a Dell XPS 15 core i7-7700 quad core) I have only gotten very rare momentary dropouts in Windows Media Player and the Edge browser. It is as good or better as I have experienced with my previous audio interfaces (a Focusrite Scarlett and an M-Audio Fast Track Pro) on previous machines. I don’t think it is realistic to expect to NEVER get an audio dropout. Every now and then, Windows is going to do something that interrupts the audio stream. In my previous experiences, sometimes, Windows Media Player would just stop and the only way to get it playing again was to close it and restart it. The same thing occasionally happened in internet browsers while watching YouTube videos or streaming audio. Of course, it would be ideal if I never got an audio dropout but I can listen to Media Player and Browse for hours without any dropouts. In Cubase, I have yet to have any sort of dropout that wasn’t clearly due to just having the buffer size set too small. So, for my setup, I would say the ASIO part is pretty solid. The Windows driver part is very good (as good as I have had with other interfaces and computers) but not perfect.

Lastly, I also thought it may be helpful to mention that I actually use the Thunderbolt Dock (Dell TB16) with the UR44 plugged into the dock. I was concerned about how well it would work when I ordered it but I have a second monitor plugged into the dock as well as my Axiom Pro keyboard and it has not been any problem at all. It performs as well as when they are plugged directly into the computer.

Video drivers that hold interrupts or hog IO lines for way longer than they should has been a decades-old problem in the pro audio community. Like, literally, 20 years of complaints about video drivers impacting audio drivers. Buy the oldest and slowest video card you can for your audio PC and you’ll never have a problem.

Buy the oldest and slowest video card you can for your audio PC and you’ll never have a problem.

Where’s the fun in that? It’s ALL about the toys!!
:smiling_imp: :laughing: :smiley:

lol, spend it on plugins instead!

I can also confirm, that the problem seems to be solved, when “Power Management” ist set to “Prefer Maximum Performance” in the Nvidia Control Panel. So as many have said before, the issues has something todo with the videocard/drivers.

But this solution is defenitely not optimal, since the GPU is clocking higher when idle with these settings, which causes a higher power consumption. It’s a workaround but should only be a temporary solution.

I find the new Beta 2 drivers work very well on my system. previous serious of drivers completely useless. Regardless of the NVIDIA driver setting.

Why don’t Steinberg just introduce a buffer in order to avoid all these latency problems? I bought the Steinberg UR22mk2, but it is useless due to all the gaps and also lots of noise in my speakers (Yamaha HS7). I might have to return all this. The purpose of me buying the Steinberg was to record sound while playing piano using a pair of SE5 microphones.

I will probably return the Steinberg, and try another soundcard. Amazing that they haven’t solved this issue. When googling the problem, I see that it has been here since at least 2012.

Hi Ed,
I used the UR22 on an old Win7 machine without any issues until my laptop broke up.
With my new HP laptop (Intel Celeron CPU N3060 @ 1,6 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 10 64bit Home) I´m getting these dropouts continously. I installed the Beta driver - set the buffer time, extra buffer and base period to maximum, but this doesn´t change anything.

With every dropout this error is shown in the Log:
0:25.57 : 0 3 11
Maybe this might help for solving the issue.
Best regards,
Mirco

Using Cubase and audio/MIDI projects with this kind of processor I would honestly expect dropout to occur every now and then. Sorry to sound harsh but these kind of processors are not really up to the task for running real time audio with effects and maybe even VST Instruments. What kind of processor did the Windows 7 system have?

We have released the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver 1.10.0 officially now. Please have a look at the news just released:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/yamaha-steinberg-usb-driver-v1100-and-ur44ur242-firmware-updates-available-4580.html

The additional “Error Info” and “Advanced” tab settings are hidden in the release driver now but can still be accessed by pressing “Shift + Ctrl + A” while the control panel is open.
If the driver is uninstalled or updated, any modifications made here need to set accordingly again.

The update went smoothly but I will mention that just before I updated, I opened the dspMix App (in Windows) and on the “Information” tab where it says I have firmware versions 2.11 for Boot and Main, I clicked on “Check for Update” and it said I had the most current version. Of course, with 2.12 firmware available, I just downloaded it from the link provided and it went smoothly from there. Maybe the place where the app looks for the current version needs to be updated?

I’ll check with my colleagues, thanks for the report!

I had the same problem about a year ago, and this helped me:

That message is usually due to a performance issues that causes drop-out, eventually forcing the audio engine to stop.

It is usually pretty easy to resolve.

Please, go to the Control Panel and open the ‘Power Options’ panel.
Here, please select ‘High Performance’ and then click on ‘Change plan settings’ beside the plan’s entry.
Now, click on ‘Change advanced power settings’ and set the ‘Hard disk’ → ‘Turn off hard disk after’ to ‘Never’ and’USB Setting’ → ‘USB Selective Suspend’ to ‘Disabled’.

This should be enough.

If the problem persists, it is worth to check the BIOS settings.
Usually turning off all C-States, Turbo-Boost, Enhanced Halt, Speed-Step and EIST in the BIOS/UEFI finally resolves the issue.

I hope this helps.

It may help for those who do not have a genuine issue with certain systems that just simply do not work with the Steinberg drivers.

It may be time for a new thread Ed. Re-hashing old system setups/settings is not what this thread was really about. It would be nice to start over again without the multiple pages of user ‘hopeful’ fixes that are not relevant to others that had the hardware issues. Just suggesting a new thread based upon separating the needs for the new driver and why it happened. :slight_smile:

There is a difference between basic computer setup and loss of connection between audio driver and computer. These should be treated as separate issues.

I have dropouts on my PC, and also on our two laptops with my new UR22MkII.

I have given up, and will now try to get a refund or swap out the Steinberg with i.e. an Audient ID14.

I’m getting too old for this, spending hours on fault-finding just because Steinberg don’t know how to make it work.

If possible, please let us know whether the Audient ID14 suffers from the same issue or not. Yamaha (the creator of the UR series interfaces) has implied that dropouts are due to a computer related issue, in which case all USB audio interfaces would suffer.

****ntsarb-If possible, please let us know whether the Audient ID14 suffers from the same issue *****
Its done already lots of times. Quet a few people here gave up with UR and switched to other interfaces, Audient ect. On page 3 yukele switched to ID14. Same page fatar7601 got Focusrite. Page 4-Soapmak3r, ericdl-Focusrite, on page 5 Zet borrowed focusrite, my friend did the same-thats 3 pages only, and all of this people have no issues with other interfaces .Sorry, I`m too lazy to go from page 5 to the end, but there should be some more))))

It is disappointing that there was such a delay in making sure the UR series interfaces worked for everyone. I am sure there are reasons above and beyond what we know. I was not about to start over with interfaces from a computer build. I made it happen for myself.

I feel for those who just bought an interface with the hopes of it working correctly on their system. It should!!! This should never have been an issue for anyone…

Indeed - just like graphics cards, hard disks, RAM, etc. - but sometimes hardware fails or doesn’t live up to its expectations. That is why there are updates for almost every hardware component out there, that’s why there are certified RAM modules for motherboards and that’s why some companies even support specific hardware setups only. This thread has been visible for many months and everyone having issues to some extend joined in. It doesn’t mean that the UR series works flawlessly. We have been trying to address the discussed issue and the result is the latest driver with its advanced settings enabling support and users to test different settings. It is just that the UR series has been and still is very successful and there are hundreds of thousands of customers using the devices (plus the CI interfaces) which hopefully puts things into perspective. Again, we do care and we will continue to optimize the drivers but on the vast majority of systems they just work.

This is why I am closing this thread now. It’s grown too big to be really useful. Users affected by dropouts should contact the support directly and individually.