UR22C Audio Dropouts

I have a UR22C audio interface. I have been using it for a couple of years on CentOS and Fedora Linux without any issues. I recently got a Windows 11 machine but I get audio dropouts every ~3-4 mins for less than a second. It is very frustrating. I have checked the Steinberg documentation

[link](https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/360009604280)

The first solution does not help. and for the second solution I still see the Microsoft drivers in place.
However, there are not ASMedia drivers available for Dell Motherboards and Windows 11 (at least for my system). Any other recommendation/suggestions? Some context: I have the interface connected to external USB power.

I just built a new PC, with Windows 11, and am having a similar problem.

Have you optimised your computer for recording? If not Sweetwater has a good tutorial for that to give you max computing power.

@Oneway can you expand on it?
IMO, the solution should not require the use of maximum computer performance to run a simple audio interface that is already connected to external power.

Obvious questions
Are you using the ASIO driver?
Do you have your wifi turned off?
Is you antivirus stopped?

I have this problem too. I fixed it once, and I think it required removing all the drivers, and the Yamaha/STeinberg software, removing all audio drivers on my machine and installing JUST the STeinberg interface audio driver without the associated software. However, I needed to do a loopback for a video and re-installed the Yamaha software. The problem came back, and I have yet to fix it with the same trick. :frowning:

At this point, it is related to the interface, but not to Cubase, since it happens in Windows Media Player too.

I also have this audio dropout problems too. My computer is ASUS S14 with latest Windows 11 update. I’ve checked troubleshooting on Steinburg website. It suggests me to switch from USB 3.1 to USB 2.0.
In the control panel of “Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO” there is always a signal shows “Audio interruption due to USB error is detected…” I’m not sure why my cubase can’t switch USB driver to USD 2.0. Does anyone know? Now the audio-dropout problem is still there.

I minimized the amount of audio dropouts (it still happens but it much less frequent), by removing all bloatware software (in my case Dell software was causing the majority of the problems). Also, Steinberg released a new version of the audio drivers for UR22C that help to mitigate this issue. In my case, I am using USB 3.1 with the audio interface, otherwise, I still get audio dropouts. Hope this helps.

I’ve used a UR22C for 4 years on my desktop with no problems. I’ve recently got one to use on the road and it is unusable for the dropouts. Both UR22C work perfectly on my Win10 desktop, and both have irregular dropouts of ~0.5s on my Dell XPS13 9350 Win10 notebook.
Happens with all USB ports, regardless of USB 2.0 or 3.1 settings or buffer sizes. Happens on Spotify, browser, and ASIO applications. All motherboard, networking, video, and USB port drivers updated, power settings maxed and power standbys disabled, bloatware removed, multiple USB cables tried, no difference if bus powered or using external power or powerbank. I’ve tried reinstalling older drivers and 2.1.4 - all to no effect.
The Yamaha USB driver is not as reliable and compatible as it should be and unfortunately it lets down a product which is otherwise quite well made and makes me reluctant to upgrade to another Steinberg interface in the future.

1 Like

I feel your frustration. I have a similar experience here with Windows 11 and using AG03 and UR22C.
Regarding the Yamaha drivers, I rolled back to v2.0.3 Yamaha Driver and things got a bit better. I actually could not even open CUBASE with the latest Yamaha Driver (V2.1.4). Hope this can help.

Hope Steinberg and Yamaha fix these audio dropouts soon.

My Elements 11 drops the driver on Win 10 very occasionally. I then select no driver-ok then reopen and use Yamaha ASIO then it’s away again.
I previously was rebooting the computer each time which is time wasting.

i have a ur22c and i use a dell g7 15 and i have interruptions every 10-15 minutes, it is very disheartening to know that many users have this same problem. For live shows, these cuts are a big problem, not only because the show has problems, but also because the takes are damaged.

1 Like

Same problem !

I use a UR22C that freezes every time my pc goes into sleep mode. The only solution is to turn it off and on again the UR22c.

Running under Windows 11 H22
I have installed the latest version of the drivers for my motherboard
Firmware 2.01
Latest version of USB drivers
The power management features for the USB ports are OFF
Tested with an external power supply
Tested with USB2 and USB3

Nothing changes…

I notice that this kind of problem is reported quite often without a real solution from Steinberg

As a comparison, when I work with my Yamaha 01v96i I never encounter this problem even if I let it run for more than 24 hours.

I am extremely disappointed with both the support and the quality of the product in terms of stability.

I’m going to start considering switching to another interface but which one to choose?

Motu, Focusrite, presonus ?

Which are the most stable ?
I just use it to connect my monitor speakers from Cubase.

1 Like

Yes, researching in the forum I have realized that this problem has already been reported for about a year and they do not pay attention to it since it is something truly frustrating. I don’t know how to get the attention of the developers.

Problem solved ! I finally replaced theUR22C with a Motu M2.
Sad to come to this kind of solutions :frowning_face:

1 Like

why did you delete your comment? it’s very good.

@RealityJockey

It’s a shame you decided to delete your post. You said it as it is.

Ok, I’ll re-add the post since people agreed with it, especially (I think) my frustration. But I did end up with a solution (see UPDATE at the bottom)…

Same here!

It’s heartbreaking to me because I really can’t afford to just throw the Steinberg unit in the trash and replace it with a Motu (or a Focusrite Scarlett, or any of the dozen other better options), but that really might be the only solution.

Steinberg UR22C cutouts and stuttering actually go back a lot farther than a year: I’ve been all over the Internet looking for solutions before I found this forum, and the UR22C complaints go all the way back to its release in 2019. Worse, the same complaints persist about its parent unit, the 2014-released UR22, as far back as its release in 2014.

Steinberg has done nothing to address this. Not in the original model, not in the “upgraded” model. They had a reputation for quality that just isn’t being held up by these devices, or by their response (silence) to our complaints about these devices.

I just upgraded to a new system (Lenovo i5, Win11, etc. etc.) and thought this device was an upgrade over my M-Audio Fast Track Pro from 2005. What a fool I was! After 18 years, that little plastic box is showing its age—the years and mileage have finally caught up with it—but it STILL works better than the thing Steinberg calls “the Perfect Portable Interface” in their promo material.

It’s nice, at least, to have the solidarity of knowing I’m not the only one finding this unit completely unusable, and Steinberg completely non-responsive. As anyone who’s ever worked tech support knows, the first & most likely cause of technical failure is always, always “user error.” My first thought is always that I’m doing something wrong with a unit that’s supposed to be pretty straightforward. Maybe I’m just technically illiterate.

But we can’t ALL be technically illiterate! I imagine many of the frustrated people on here and other threads are far more sophisticated users of this gear than I am. Even here, you can see the absurd backflips and driver gymnastics people are forced to perform to get a few precious minutes or seconds of functional use from this device.

I’m going to go try things like turning off Wi-Fi. I’ll try a different cable (this cable works on any other piece of gear). I’ll try a different USB port (this port works for any other piece of gear). I may even endanger the stability of my brand new system, which is functioning perfectly in all other ways, to tinker with the native setup, the motherboard BIOS, or anything else that sits between the UR22C and my ears that could possibly be to blame.

The thing is, we all know what’s actually to blame. It’s the UR22C itself, or the drivers released for it. We shouldn’t have to do this kind of minute level software/firmware/hardware tinkering to baby a consumer device that refuses to work on systems it was sold to work on. Why shouldn’t we be able to use the device and Wi-Fi at the same time? We can do that with basically any of the competing units on the market. Why should we have to make compromises in our workflow to accommodate a company that refuses to fix the issue on their end?

The thing is, our TIME is worth something too—both the hours we’ve spent trying to troubleshoot this stuttery, finnicky little paperweight, and the weeks we’ve spent unable to move forward in the studio or on the stage as a result of Steinberg’s refusal to address a problem that’s clearly been present from the get-go.

Thank you to the many here who have generously donated their time to the community, to come here and share your experiences, and confirm that not only is this device virtually unfixable; it’s probably not worth the investment of time to keep trying.

UPDATE: I spent another couple hours tinkering, and deleted this post because I’m no longer sure it was 100% the Steinberg’s fault… just 90% or so.

I tried a new cable, new port, turning off the sleep features of USB, etc… no luck. The culprit for me, I think, was not the wireless but the LAN port. Disabling that, for reasons I can’t explain, has dramatically improved the sound session.

1 Like

@RealityJockey, and welcome to the Cubase community.

IFYP.

My UR 824 hadn’t been used as my main unit for almost two years before I recently tried it again, after my main audio interface inherited hardware problems.

What is eventually, and seemingly working for me, in W10 and 11, is changing the XHCI mode in the UEFI to “Manual”, and changing from the USB 3.0 port to a USB 2.0 port.

The issues came back, after the UEFI reset itself, so I had to change that XHCI mode back to Manual again. But the weird thing is, it no longer worked in the USB 2.0 port, but now working in the USB 3.0 port.

IMO, it is a terribly written driver for some, and I have never had such a dismal experience with any type of Software in my 30 plus year’s of using, like I have had with these Yamaha drivers’ for the UR Series.

I believe Steinbergs hands’ are tied on this one, the most they can do is to report to YAMAHA about the issues some are having, but ultimately, it is YAMAHA only, who can fix the problem, who doesn’t seem to care too much for those users’ experiencing issues, since the majority do not.

Like yourself, I can not comfortably recommend a Steinberg/Yamaha UR\C audio interface, without mentioning, “it may be touch and go”.

I recently purchased A 15 year old, second hand R?E interface and no longer have to worry about poor driver performance (just not taking any chances). Works like a charm in W10 and 11. So the 824 is back as Slave.

If you haven’t already, try the XHCI workaround in the UEFI to see if it improves thing’s further.

Good luck.

What is XHCI, how can I apply this solution?