UR44 Low Input Gain Issues, not like my UR22

Hi, I had a question regarding my Steinberg UR44 unit. I previously owned a UR22. I had all of my levels set and then recently purchased a UR44. I expected to transpose my gain levels to this unit with no change, although the UR44 requires me to have the gain level much higher, if not abnormally high for the same gear I was using before. Is there supposed to be a variance between different DPREs? I actually returned a UR44 before this one because the gain was outrageously low, and with this unit I am having a similar problem, of which I am still trying various signal chains for. What can I do, is this item defective as well?

Are you talking about Input gain or Output gain?
Are you using the DspMix software included?

The input gain, and I have no inserts active, dspmix isn’t on. Any gain beyond 3 o’clock seems excessive to me.

Is it the same with DspMix on?
Also, can you get the peak indicator on the interface to clip?
Since the main difference between 22 and 44 should be the digitally controlled dsp, it might be some settings issue on software side.

Hooked up my countryman DI and set some levels, even though I’m close to full gain, just enough headroom… sounded too sweet to even begin considering a different interface. The fact my Shure SM57 and Sennheiser E609 were set beyond 3 o’clock worried me. But I suppose I can adapt to new gain settings. While the dspmix FX are an exciting new endeavor as well, especially RevX

Hi, I had a question regarding my Steinberg UR44 unit. I previously owned a UR22. I had all of my levels set and then recently purchased a UR44. I expected to transpose my gain levels to this unit with no change, although the UR44 requires me to have the gain level much higher, if not abnormally high for the same gear I was using before.

Hi

I also have both of them (ur22 and ur44) and experience exactly the same thing.
Very often I find myself using full gain when recording not so loud sources like fingerpicked acoustic guitar or similar.

Shame you cannot change the input level for the mic inputs the same way like for inputs 5/6 +4 dBu, -10 dBV
I think that’s what makes the differnce between ur22 and ur44. One being set to consumer levels, the other one to pro levels.

But I may be wrong here

Experiencing exactly the same thing here. With UR22, if I mic fingerpicking guitar above 70% of gain with my MXL Condenser mic I’m in risk of clipping.

With the “upgraded” UR44, 70% of gain gives me an average -24dB signal (same fingerpicking, same mic) and a very unpleasant noisefloor.

Is that expected? Are there some setup issues we are missing?
A Steinberg reply here is desperately required.

I experience the same with my UR44 and it really pisses me off since I bought it for the “excellent” preamps. Strange thing is there are also threads where people mention 30-40% is good enough so I’m confused. I was thinking about getting a pre-amp but for now I use a maximizer or clip gain in Ableton.

I did contact Steinberg support a few days ago but am still waiting for a reply (Steinberg support and the activity on this forum is by far the worst I’ve ever experienced and that’s not trolling, simply an observation).

However, I was wondering, what about using dspMixfx track gain? Has anyone tried this? You can add +6db and whlie in some cases it distorts sometimes it helps. I just don’t know how upping the input gain relates to the knob gain on the UR, unity gain and gain staging and can’t find any information in the manual or online. Has anyone tried and how does setting the gain to max in dspMixfx relate to the gain knob?