UR44C not recording or finding microphone

Hi community
I am brand new to recording and using my ur44c.
I can record my guitar (hurrah!) but am having problems recording audio with Samson Q7 microphone. I wonder if I have the drivers set up. Any suggestions?
Thanks…

Hi and welcome to the forum,

If your mic needs Phantom power, switch the +48 button On, please.

In Cubase open the Audio Connections > Inputs and Add Buss > Mono. Set the Audio Port to Mono In 1 (or where is your mic connected to), please.

Hi Martin
Thanks for that. Still no luck. My mic does not need phantom power as it is dynamic. I turned it on anyway.

I tried opening audio connections etc as you suggested.

I was not able to set the machine to mono in. Can you see photo below.

I have a MacBook Pro.

Peter

Hi,

As far as I can see, Cubase doesn’t see your UR device. Make sure you installed the latest driver, please.

Hi Martin
Thanks for that. I have installed the latest driver. (Pretty sure I did it before but apparently not successfully.)
I can see the ur44c now on each of the channels.
Still unable to record with mike. Can you suggest the next step…
I do not have speakers apart from the macbook pro so have been trying to use those. I do have headphones.
Peter
Thanks
Peter

Hi,

As you are on Mac:
Make sure Cubase has enabled Mic in the System Preferences, please.
Open macOS System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Microphone. Enable Cubase here.

Hi Martin

Yes I did as you have suggested. No luck.

I have spent considerable time trying to find out why the mike is not working.

Does it make any difference that I do not have speakers? How can I tell cubase to put the output through the MacBook speakers.

Interestingly I can see my mike is working when I go to MacBook system settings audio- I can see the levels changing.

I assume that for some reason the input from the mike is not getting to where it needs to go in the cubase and ur44c and through to the MacBook. Is there a problem in not having speakers?

I have spent a lot of time on this issues and have no progress. Would I do better to go to IOS rather than MacBook if the drivers are all set up on the iPad.

Best
Peter

Hi,

Where is it plugged to, please? How does the Studio > Audio Connections > Inputs look like? Which Input do you use on the track? Could you attach a screenshot, please?

In Cubase you can use only one ASIO driver at the given time. So you would need to create the Aggregate Device in your macOS Audio utility.

Hi Martin

The mike is plugged into input 1.

On the issue of speakers, is it possible to simply use headphones at this stage or will I need to buy speakers to plug into the device given the issue that cubase can only use one ASIO driver?

I note that when I try to record guitar I can see the input feeding in the inspector but no recording happens. I do not seem to have the complete inspector options coming us and I am not sure why.

Many thanks
Peter

Hi,

What is the green button in the Input 1/2, please? Why is it Input 1/2, I would expect Input 1.

Why is headphones 2 selected on the output side? You can use headphones connected to your UR device.

Hi Martin,
Yes, I have already done that. It was one of your earlier suggestions.
Does this look right?

P

Hi,

Could you attach a screenshot of the MixConsole while recording to see the Input Channels, please?

Hi
Hope this helps

Hi,

Again, there is Stereo In, not Mono In.

And did you sing or say something to the microphone? How is the Gain set up?

Yse, not sure why it is showing stereo in. I have set it up as mono in but it comes up stereo on that part of the system. I am confused by it too. Yes, I was talking into the mike and could not see any movement. When I set up a guitar I can see movement on the gauges but not hear anything.
Any suggestions?
Peter

Hi,

What about the Audio Connections > Outputs, please?

Make sure Cubase has enabled Mic in the System Preferences, please.
Open macOS System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Microphone. Enable Cubase here. Could you attach a screenshot of this window, please?

Hi Martin

Should I be using UR44C Hi precision? There seems to be an issue loading the driver for that options.

I am still having a problem with the mike. I can get the Guitar recording (Hurray) but not the mike. Any thoughts. The mike does work as I have an amplifier and it does work there. Any suggestions or do I need a new mike. Is there any problems using mikes and MacBook pros?
IMG_2555.jpeg

Hi,

I’m sorry, I don’t see anything on the screenshot. Could you use the common screenshot action on Mac, please?

What exactly do you mean by this, please?

Then the Input must be wrong. Either you are using wrong input, or the input is not setup correctly.

Hi Martin
I get a choice between ur44c or ur44c hi precision as my device. I think it is an upgrade.
I am able to hear my guitar but when I went back I could not record it it.
What is the best approach to finding a solution. Here is a screen shot.

Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 9.58.08 am 1.png

Hi,

Using the High Precision allows you to use 64bit precision in Cubase. But UR device would work exclusively with Cubase only.

Unfortunately I don’t see anything at your screenshots, they are too small.

What do you mean “when I went back”? Did you record the guitar? Can you see the signal? Did you disable the Monitor button to be able to hear what has been recorded?