UR824 This device cannot start. (Code 10)

I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver v1.7.3.1 and still getting “This device cannot start. (Code 10)”.

Using Windows 7 64bit. I am not using the latest firmware, but the previous version. DspMixFX reports “device not found”. What’s going on?

As a side note, if I install the latest firmware and do not like it, can I reinstall older firmware again without problems. I don’t have / don’t want Windows 8. I use XP, Vista x64, Windows 7 x64. Why did Yamaha stop supporting these (XP & Vista x64)?

Restarted the system and now it works. I would still like an answer about the firmware please.

Hi There

At a guess it would NOT be possible to revert back to the old firmware, but on the other hand the new one is really just the same as the old one but with added functionality (ie the guitar amp hardware sims)so it’s unlikely that there would be any disadvantage to upgrading it. I would definitely try upgrading the firmware and the driver, I presume you are talking about the version 2 firmware btw.

Best Regards

Dave

Thanks for answering Dave. My concern on the firmware would be to keep the older version then (previous without amp sims), because I don’t want to lose functionality with XP & Vista. I’m using other hardware that is used with XP & Vista. I can’t work around Steinberg. Steinberg needs to work around me. If it can’t, it’s becoming useless. Hard to imagine that support for the two previous OSes were dropped. That’s a shame. We’ll probably never use Win8. That would require several thousands dollars to replace much equipment. I don’t think Steinberg is worth all of that. Not very professional products in my book anyway. Too much grief and limited functionality associated to be Pro. Some people like the stuff though.

1. Microsoft are about to stop supporting XP. All good things come to an end.

2. I’m not aware of anybody who thinks Vista is/was a good iteration of Windows - more a transition from XP towards 7.

Steve.

Hi Sackcloth

I’m certain that changing the firmware would have NO effect re your use of XP as that is ALL built into the firmware which would be separate to the OS (are you using Cubase btw as Cubase 7 is NOT recommended with XP). I do understand your concern though although most of the current software companies are dropping support for XP! Just BTW I have a hardware CD duplicator by Rimage, but the software will ONLY run on XP so…:slight_smile:

Best Regards

Dave

Hi Steve,

I’m not really concerned about Microsoft support, because we’re using XP SP2 32 bit offline. MUCH better than SP3. XP is a fast trouble free OS with SP2. I use all 3 mentioned OSes on different machines with various pieces of equipment for both studio & live performance. I agree, Vista is not better than Windows 7, but we have it and it is very usable, so it’s a keeper. Our machines are mainly off-line. Much faster boxes that way.

Hi Dave,

I better understand what you’re saying about the firmware. But, the driver will probably not work on XP or Vista will it? From what I understand, you can’t mix the latest firmware and previous drivers. If so, I would lose 80 % of use with the UR824 here.

I’m only occasionally using Cubase VST 5.1 for certain midi pieces, not whole projects anymore. Reaper is the main choice. I need stuff that works flawlessly in live situations. I also like Acid Pro 6 for mixing sometimes, but it is NOT too professional. Hardware mixers are more enjoyable and trouble free! They just WORK - glitch free.

Hi Sackclothlamb

I’m curious about what hardware won’t work with Win7(just curious:-), I also understand the Reaper thing, I use it as my second DAW on another machine and I always found it highly underrated, It’s VERY solid and very streamlined, but did have a couple of idiosyncrasies that drove me a bit nuts! Reaper 64bit works fine with the UR btw. Cubase in it’s current form has quite a large “edge” over Reaper which is why I use Cubase, but I still think Reaper ain’t bad for what you pay.

Best Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

We have two keyboards with matching samplers on two different machines (sometimes one PC) that only works with XP and an integrated mixer with SPDIF and MIDI sequencer that only works with XP. I’m trying to keep live PCs down to two (would like only one but that’s impossible). With the UR824 and latest drivers (which requires latest firmware and Win7), that means three PCs required. If using older UR driver and ability to use XP, Vista x64, & Win7 x64, only 2 PCs required for live performances.

I wouldn’t mind newer Cubase for writing/arranging, but I just don’t trust it for live performance.

Tim

AAAAAh for Live

Now I totally understand, it’s a totally different story as if it don’t work, the show is , and that’s not on!!! I have found that things “live” take longer to evolve than the studio stuff mainly because the focus(as in your case)is on reliability, a sort of “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!!” thing.

Best Regards

Dave

Exactly… I think one of the marketing ideas behind the UR22 was for use in a live situation, and the market for that need is truly there, but the problems of the latest Steinberg line is very problematic for many of us; even for studio use. At some point I may consider modifying the UR products to make them more usable in all scenarios. I think the caps are junk for the most part, but that is only a theory for me currently. I haven’t opened them up to check it out yet, but low quality caps seems to be common practice for many manufacturers.

Tim

Hi Tim

For live use I have one of the NI Komplete Audio units through which I run my backtracks AND guitar rig (which I find brilliant) build quality is great. The UR22 looks to have had many issues with the input’s being a bit HOT and clipping when a guitar is DI’d (824 doesn’t have this problem) How would you “Modify” btw that sounds quite radical?

Best /regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

I’ve heard that people like Guitar Guitar Rig w/ hardware, but I don’t know much about Complete Audio unit hardware. It’s good to know you are satisfied with the performance. Never cared for NI software support system though. If it works, it works I guess. I can’t use the UR824 with my guitars, there is no way to get a clean guitar signal - distortion no matter what. I suppose people who use distorted guitar don’t notice anything different. Maybe some mics and guitars work better than others, but the Shure dynamic mics we’re using will distort at times. It looks like another device is necessary to control the mic signal pre-UR.

I don’t know the circuit layout on the UR models, because I haven’t opened one up, but I would imagine the power caps would be the first thing to replace.

I’m using an EMU 1820m for guitars. I really like it. It is perfect for running PC based FX out to an amp, but only decent for PC alone, but still, it’s 100 times better than the UR824. 824 is unusable with my guitars; not impressed with it at all. I like the UR with mic, BUT I need to be really careful about distortion. I’ll never buy any Steinberg branded hardware again.

I’m struggling to understand how and why a dynamic microphone could overload your preamps (if the distortion is due to too high a signal). I can understand how an overly large SPL might distort your microphone, but I’ve not read any concerns elsewhere raised about the quality of the UR824 pres - in fact quite the reverse. Do your mics and guitars exhibit distortion on all channels of the 824?

Steve.

Hi Steve,

For the record, I’ve never complained about the Pre-amps. I’ve always said the Pre-amps were the best part of the product. The signal on the dynamic mic input is not too high. On dynamic vocal sections there is audible distortion without clipping, therefore I pull back from the mic when I know a dynamic part is coming (one more thing to continually think about though). I’ve tried the first 4 inputs and they are all the same here. I spend most of my time with the EMU 1820m because it’s trouble free and painless. I’m only using the UR824 for mics; cautiously so. As far as guitar goes, there is nothing I can do to get a good recording - I’ve tried every imaginable setting for a clean guitar. It’s either lifeless or distorted.

Tim

Hi All

I have used the UR frequently for recording guitars, with and without the new guitar amps in the channel strip, certainly never had a problem with clipping, judicious use of the Hi-Z switch and very occasionally the pad seemed to work for everything.

Best Regards

Dave

I don’t have clipping problems with guitar either, I have repeatedly reported this but it keeps getting overlooked. The signal is distorted! @ -7dB or whatever… I use NO distortion FX, not even crunch. CLEAN. If you use distortion FX, you never would know there is a problem. I’m not the only one who reports this. What kind of guitar do you use and what FX? I have absolutely NO problems with other interfaces here. I guess I’m going to have to start a user database somewhere of guitars usable with UR* interfaces.

The reason for me chipping in was because I was wondering if you had a faulty unit.

STeve.

Hi Sackclothlamb

Out of interest I tried a few different guitars, there were quite considerable differences , but using channel 1 on the UR, a Telecaster barely clipped at all and the signal was very clean, a Les Paul on the other hand was pretty hot and I had the Hi-Z button in but also the Pad in and the Volume well down, definitely not distorted though, could lower the input even further by taking the Hi-Z button out. I have a Washburn which was even hotter than the LP and for that I did need to have the Hi-Z input button out and the pad on, don’t know if this helps but…maybe Steve(plectrumboy)is right!!

Best Regards

Dave