USB Driver V216 stopped working on windows 11 22H2 with Steinberg CI1 device

Device USB\VID_0499&PID_1501\5&1e7d8db7&0&4 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem37.inf

Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Service: ysusb_w10_64

Lower Filters:

Upper Filters:

Problem: 0x0

Problem Status: 0xC00000E5

This is the error I get in event viewer after this latest windows 11 update.
I’ve tried rebooting the system. I’ve uninstalled the driver and reinstalled the driver many times. I’ve tried V215, V214, V204. Of the USB driver all of which have the exact same issue. I’ve tried DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth followed by sfc /scannow which is said there were some corrupted files but after reinstalling the driver V216 windows gave me the exact same error with no more information in the event viewer. It was at this point I got fed up booted into safe mode and removed the driver using USBDEVIWER This uninstalled the driver just fine but upon installing the driver I got the exact same error in the event viewer with the driver stalling. I’ve unfortunately ran out of ideas as there doesn’t seem to be much info online about this error other then very generic tips. Side note don’t upgrade to windows 11 if you like life. This has been nothing but living hell from packets dropping on Intel based network chips to drivers not loading properly. Any recommendation at this point would be great because I’m at the point I’m about to uninstall windows 11 and install windows 10 again. To clarify the driver was working until this Build 22621.2506 where it all of sudden stopped working.

1 Like

I have managed to get the driver to load by completely removing all traces of it using external cleaning tools in safe mode. (Revo uninstaller). Although it still doesn’t work I decided maybe it’s the cables and started swapping out cables when I was like alright it’s not the cables this is just dumb so I broke out my laptop and tried it and boom instantly it started working. So this is very clearly a windows 11 issue. Does anyone have any ideas as to what’s going on here if not does anyone know of any opensource DAC drivers for the Steinberg CI1

So this is not an issue exclusive to windows 11. I completely wiped my system to try windows 10. It worked for a bit till I installed windows 10 latest update it also breaks the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V216. Please release an update for this driver as I am literally without a microphone due to your driver being broken on the latest version of windows. Both 11 and 10

Hello and welcome to the Steinberg Forum! :vulcan_salute:

Have you tried if it works with ASIO4ALL?

Yes, I actually did happened across it during my first day of troubleshooting when I thought it was a me issue and not the driver being broken. (The issue here being) without the drivers the CI1 doesn’t show up in windows 10 or 11 at all. So meaning you have to install the driver and once you install the driver it locks up the input to the computer causing it to not work hence why ASIO4all doesn’t work either.

It goes without saying that the interface will not work without a driver. (Especially as Cubase only works with ASIO drivers anyway.) :rofl: :wink:

Which “input” is “locked” by the driver? :man_shrugging:

Could you please tell me again exactly what is not working? Because to be honest, I still don’t quite understand. Is the driver installation aborted? Is the driver installed but Cubase does not start? Or does Cubase start but the driver cannot communicate with the audio interface?

The whole device locks up if you try to force windows to play audio through the DAC is just goes full volume in windows then freezes in windows without anything ever actually going through the DAC. Both inputs LINE1 and LINE2 will not input audio no matter what after the windows update for both windows 11 and windows 10. Once you’ve clicked test in the sounds tool on windows the only way to get it to not register full volume is to unplug and replug the device where in which if you try to click test again it just does absolutely nothing until you uninstall and reinstall the driver.

Would it be possible for you to post some screenshots of the most important settings in Cubase and in Windows?

Absolutely no clue what Cubase is but windows sure.
imgur com/a/RKu9kx8

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t realise we weren’t in the Cubase forum. :blush:
What exactly do you want to do with the audio interface? Just play audio? (For example, the sound of your browser when playing YT.) Or other things?

Can you please also take a screenshot of the device manager? So that I can see what is under sound, video and game controller and the audio inputs and outputs.

Have the device function at all.

Here you go

I would also like to be clear this issue happens on other computers that have received the latest windows updates as well. This doesn’t only happen on my desktop. Like this driver just doesn’t work anymore on 22H2 builds of windows

Everything looks as it should. The only thing that stands out is that you have a lot of different audio drivers installed. This shouldn’t be a problem, though.

Apparently Windows is not connecting to the interface. Yes, that could be the driver. But if it doesn’t work with ASIO4ALL either, then it’s probably the audio interface.

Have you tried if the interface works without the ASIO driver (uninstall)? Normally a DAC can work without an ASIO driver (MME, WDM, WASAPI).

No it can’t be used without the driver as it doesn’t even appear as a useable device to the computer without the driver. Don’t see how it would be the DAC when it works if I remove the latest windows update. It works perfectly fine on older versions of window 10 and 11. But on build 22H2 and above it stops working. It also works on my Ubuntu install along with my Arch install as well. It works on other computers that have older window 10 and 11 builds installed as well.

Really don’t think it’s the device at all given it works everywhere else except the latest builds of windows.

MME, WDM both are frozen just like the ASIO Driver.

The exact issue with WASAPI anyway

And yes of course I have a lot of audio drivers installed I do a lot of virtual mixing because I don’t have money to buy a audio interface with a ton of lines.

Then I am out of ideas. In any case, it can’t be the audio driver if the device doesn’t work with WASAPI and the like. It could be the USB driver. (Have you ever changed the USB port?) But from a distance I can only guess.

Perhaps someone else has an idea. Otherwise, you have to hope that the problem will disappear with the next Windows update.

You might also want to post your problem in the Steinberg Hardware Forum.