USB less licensing with CB 12? You are joking right.......?

If everyone waited for someone else to upgrade no one would ever upgrade.

I think the point there is that upgrading is optional, and such a statement from the developer makes it pretty clear what one should expect. Asking “why” doesn’t really matter at that point, the real question is why did you upgrade knowing what Steinberg said about C12?

When they released Dorico 4 (the first of the new system) they should have moved all products owned by someone over to the same licensing system (as Dorico 4 and subsequently CB12).

Anything else is unintuitive at best and distinctly suspicious at worst.

Asking why does matter because they should know that people want to use their owned content. If they can make CB12 a product that uses the new system then they can quite easily make the system work for owned products. In that way they would avoid bad press and looking ignorant. Only today they talk about their poor stressed activation server. How many people that bought CB12 do you think now have the same problem. Do you think they would refund them all? Hehe… I suppose I could uninstall it but in truth…if they sell it…it should work with the stuff they previously sold.

Yes, but there will always be people who can’t resist.

I think you didn’t quite follow this thread.

This thread in a nutshell: OP expected Steinberg to push their magical button, which immediately updates all of their software to their newly developed licensing system.

Obviously, that’s how things work in his day job: He just pushes the magical button on his computer keyboard, and all the work is done, and he can call it a day.

Well, in a magical world, this could happen. The problem is, we’re living in the real world, where software has to be developed, especially when you have a brand new software licensing system, which has been in development for a year or more, and which has to be built in in every existing supported software.

Maybe the OP can help Steinberg find their magical button, instead of this absolutely pointless and useless rant about things he obviously is incapable of understanding.

And, to avoid further misunderstandings: Everyone who upgrades to or buys Cubase 12 today, and doesn’t use any other separately purchased and activated Steinberg software can use it without a dongle. Yes, really.

Best regards, the CB fanboy. Whose main DAW is Studio One.

Ha. Ha.

1 Like

I think this particular thread has run its course. We’ll certainly look at how we can make it even clearer that the licensing transition would take some time and not all products would make the switch to Steinberg Licensing, but we would look at all the options available to allow you to “ditch the dongle” as soon as practicable.

Thanks for your support and understanding!

4 Likes