Violin fingering

Dear fellow Doricians,

I’ve been searching the forum and the documentation and could not find the answer… Is it possible to input a fingering like that (Ravel, Sonate no2)?

Dear Marc,
In situations where I want to indicated either sliding with the same finger or simply holding the finger on the string beyond the duration of the note, I use the excellent workaround that you yourself offered some time ago: using crescendo hairpin with ‘0’ aperture.
Igor Borodin

Thanks Igor! I was wondering whether there was another solution (not a workaround)… Let’s use this method then!

That is a really nifty solution! I’ve just put it to use. Thank you both!

Stew

Couldn’t you also do it as a lyric and allow the word extension for those few notes? You could enter the 2, press the spacebar twice and then the right arrow to stop the work extension. This method might be slightly quicker to achieve once you’ve set up the lyrics font.

Actually, the method with the O aperture crescendo works perfectly, and propagating properties it works fine even in the part, without having to re-work it. I chose a grace scale for the line to be thin as I wished, and the result is perfect :

Capture d’écran 2019-05-18 à 11.42.57.png

I use a gliss line from the ornaments section for notating a changing finger position between finger numerals for guitar notation. Looks very similar to what you have here!

Not to intentionally hijack this thread but I do hope that, when guitar specific notation annotations are introduced, this will become a very straightforward element for fingering indications.

Using a line to indicate shifts with the same finger is so commonplace in guitar notation that rarely would you find a piece that it doesn’t happen!

Hi Marc,

Surely this is a “string fingering shift”? As long as you wouldn’t need other shorter, more angled versions elsewhere in the project, you could tweak the engraving options to make string fingering shifts longer and at a shallower angle, like this? (Angle 2 degrees for slight quirk, and length 5 spaces. Slightly adjusted in Engrave mode.)
string_fingering_shift_longer_shallower.png

From a recent question I posted:

We are waiting for the same development!

Dear Lillie, this is a piece where there are many finger shifts like this one (a dozen) and their length do differ. But thanks for the tip, I did not think about modifying that line in Engraving options.