Volume goes wonky

Hey Folks,

Is it possible burn out a UR12 ? I’m trying to figure out what the challenge is.
So I have JBL LSR305 monitor speakers independently powered. They are connected to a UR12 box via RCA / TS-TRS cable.

When playing regular music (spotify variety) … sometimes the volume just drops all of a sudden, and then comes back up. IS this a challenge with the macbook pro? (OSX Big Sur), the UR12, the monitor speakers, which are clear as a bell, the power supply to the speakers, the power supply to the UR12, or the digital audio signal itself from the mac → to the ur12 ?

Hit me back and let me know your thoughts.

Best,

Scatterbrainz

it could be all of the above and some more…

I suspect its actually something in the mac. I’m running an old 2013 macbook pro i7-quad. I recently upgraded my display to 2K (32" - 2560x1440). And its having a horrid time keeping up. I’ve seen the BT mm2 get choppy. So I’m thinking that this old mac is being pushed beyond its limits. That said, 4 days until I get a new mac M1 mini.

I do have the UR12 (Steinberg), but when I did research on it more recently, I noticed that the RCA output is “unbalanced” if someone can verify that detail for me. Tje JBL LSR305’s that I have, accept unbalanced and balanced. SO I’m wondering if it should pick up a Scarlet Solo → Amazon.ca apparently it provides balanced OUTputs.

I’m also consider a cable swap, RCA to TRS but that said, when I went to Focurite’s website, it said Big Sur, but Intel CPU’s ONLY. I’m not 100% sure if that means it won’t work with the M1. Kinda confusing information there. Ack ! Its balanced wroth $190? compared to unbalanced (existing in ur12)?

Any ideas ?

Yes indeed, unbalanced it is. I would not expect huge benefits from switching the JBL:s to balanced though.

So, right now you will have a hard time getting the UR12 to work on a M1 mac, as Steinberg is not yet done with the testing (you can find numerous posts on this matter in this forum), like here:

Well I suppose for now I could go use the audio out and split the signal :scream:

As for Big Sur on my 2013 Macbook Pro - It did this after the update (see screen shots)… So One is functional … the other is not !

Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 1.08.12 PM Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 1.08.19 PM

There are times when I really enjoy being on a PC :wink:

Ha Ha Ha … :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like