VST Instruments vs. Add Instrument Track?

Hello I’m still a noob and I’m having a hard time find the advantages and/or disadvantages of using ‘VST Instruments (f11)’ vs. using ‘Add Instrument Track’.

Couldn’t locate answer in the manual, unfortunately. Both appear to allow one to do the same thing (add vst) but I’m sure there’s more to it.

Would someone be so kind to enlighten me…thanks :slight_smile:

Read the manual once more - the pros and cons are explained there.

I appreciate your response, but it was not helpful.

Could you point out a chapter at least…I’ve read the manual from front to back, not for this matter of course but for general knowledge of Cubase.

I prefer not to read 500+ pages again for something you could easily point out or explain to me…if you understand what I’m asking for. It’s not an easily understood read…

Using F11 gives you better controls.

Let’s say you want to add a drum VST (Superior or Addictive, whatever) and you want all instruments (kick, snare, hat, toms, cymbals, ect) as single channels for this VST inside the Cubase Mixer, then you first add this VST using F11 and “activate all outputs” by clicking on the smal icon with the error (right).

Wow thanks for your response MOVE!

Am I to understand that F11 is better for multi-timberal instruments (hope thats the correct phrasing) or VST’s that contain different sounds playing at once?

Does this mean that each sound that this VST contains (or is playing) will have it’s own fader/mixer path? Which also means that you will be able to edit (fx, pan, etc.)each sound coming from it individually, right?

I appreciate you response…

Yes this is the reason. If you add those drums VSTs only as an Instrument you will have to use the mixers and controls that are inside the drum VST (which is a quick way to test but not perfect for advanced drum sounds).

Adding them via F11 (as a “VST Instrument Channel”) gives you full control over each sound.

Using Addictive drums will give you ~ + 12 channels
Using Superior will give you even more.

You cannot do this if you choose to use an “Instrument Track” because you will just get one single channel inside the mixer.

From the manual
Instrument tracks
An instrument track is a combination of a VST instrument, a MIDI track, and a VST instrument channel, in other words: it is a track coupled with a sound – it allows you to think in terms of sounds rather than in terms of track and instrument settings

Reading the manual (on page 207) will NOT help new users a lot.

But I hope this is one good example. :mrgreen:

Rubbish, the manual in this case explains very well the differences and goes into good detail.

Disagree, there is praxis or advanced praxis needed to understand theory - for the praxis.

We could do a test on a YouTube interview and I ask you another example - just to entertain the audience :laughing:

It does, and I know what you’re saying here, explain well but only if you’ve read it and gone through the motions a few times if you’re new to it.
The manual does a good job here of explaining what is a slightly abstract feature to get one’s head into.
However it’s very easy for experienced users to see those parts of the manual as completely, and it is really, logical.
I wouldn’t berate a new guy for not getting that completely on day one.
So don’t beat each other up (too badly).

Thanks MOVE for the very clear and concise answer.
Futhermore your also gave me a page in which to reference. I appreciate your input.
I hope in the future others can be just as helpful, or just not post a response at all :unamused:

---- EDIT ----

Ok I read over the chapter, ironically it was almost the same name as my post, DUH! :laughing:

I want to send a shoutout to MOVE once again because I still would have not have grasped it as quickly if it were not for the explanation/example provided.

YOU ARE APPRECIATED! Thanks :sunglasses:

Hahaha

So the manual makes sense with a bit of prompting then :laughing:

I do appreciate that maybe some chapters need reread a few times before comprehension sets in, I was like that with Why Does E=mc2?: (and Why Should We Care?) but as with anything that requires a bit of thought, it rewards the diligent.

Instrument tracks were a crappy attempt to “simplify” the usage of VSTi, because so many high school and college kids with their heads stuffed in ear buds couldn’t figure out how to route a MIDI track to a VSTi and then find the audio channel the VSTi was outputting the audio to through the pot smoke. :open_mouth:

:mrgreen:

Dave’s not here, man.

exactly! :ugeek:

So that’s why they’re called ear “buds” :bulb:

:laughing:

Since we’re having a feel-good moment, I would like to say thanks to MOVE as well. Prior knowledge is the key element in determining how quickly the “logic” of the manual’s explanation kicks-in. Efficiency is improved significantly with collaborative input. We still spend hours reading and watching tutorial videos, but the quick explanation of certain topics can cut down on time. Thank you to ConMan as well - I’ve learned alot from your input in other threads. Had a good laugh too. :slight_smile:
Without taking up too much of your time and deviating a bit from this thread, could anyone point me in the right direction with regards to recording non-looping (and live) playing of an instrument to the rest of the tracks that are looping audio files. If you know off-hand, that would be great; if not, no worries, I’ll get there. Thanks again.

Prior knowledge is the key element in determining how quickly the “logic” of the manual’s explanation kicks-in.

In some cases. Not everywhere but occasionally you can find that “Wha’ ?!” moment when it just doesn’t arrive unless you get that extra input.
You know you missed something because it’s hiding somewhere and you can hear it rustling.

Without taking up too much of your time and deviating a bit from this thread, could anyone point me in the right direction with regards to recording non-looping (and live) playing of an instrument to the rest of the tracks that are looping audio files. If you know off-hand, that would be great; if not, no worries, I’ll get there. Thanks again.

Off the top, would the Arranger track be of help there? P 124 If you do CTRL+F in the Adobe reader and enter “arranger” you’ll probably find something interesting.

“Independent track loop” would be something to check concerning this (though it might be too tedious). Maybe even MOVE will kick in once more, to give praxis to understand the theory…

“Independent Track Loop” is a consideration. From what I could tell, it is useful for 1 or 2 tracks that you want to loop, while the rest are not necessarily loops (just guessing). In my case, I have a bunch of (10 second) loops consisting of different sounds that I would like to bring in at different times (triggered by midi controller), and also play / ad lib with a separate instrument… and record/export the whole song. Sounds like a classic electronic/techno mix process, but with the additional (live) instrument to go with it, while recording the whole thing. I am going to try the “Arranger” Track option and see how that goes. Thanks and have a good week!

You can also, with the loop (track), grab the right lower handle and while holding down Alt just drag the thing to copy as large a number of the loop as you need which will probably be the easiest way. Zip out a hundred copies and there it is.