VST Performance in Cubase 8 vs 7.5

I can confirm Sonar stomps the guts outta Cubase 8 in terms of vst performance. I mean badly. Still in Cubase though…just saying

I have just upgraded my computer (see below) and the improvement in performance is immense. I am running projects at 64 samples with Asioguard on low, and getting less of a CPU hit than when I was running them on the old machine at 256 or 128 samples. It is nice to play guitar without any noticeable latency. Perhaps there is something to be said for a clean install? Hyperthreading seems to be working for me.

I will work on in Sonar until Steinberg figures that out,
This is an unacceptable situation for me, I don’t see bouncin tracks every 10 minutes…

My experience exactly. Happened on a totally fresh install of Windows 8.1, totally new machine (more or less same specs), and C8 Pro 8.0.5. Never been happier with Cubase actually.

Just to clarify…recording live is great. I am having issues with virtual instruments and performance. And I’d also like to say…I’m running the latest Haswell 5960 on an MSI mb with 32 gigs of ddr4 ram and a totally fresh windows install and straight to Cubase 8.05…all on ssd drives (4 of them)

Strange… As I’m more or less in the same boat (new build, same specs save for the mobo, etc), and VSTi’s are working flawlessly for me. All of them, including Kontakt - which, incidentally, works miles better if I set it to use multi-core as well as Cubase, otherwise I do get peaks occasionally.

Which MSI board do you use? Windows, is it 8.1?

Win 8.1. What buffer setting do you use? What does your performance meter look like? I just don’t get it man…thought it would run extremely well. What soundcard you using? I am using Lynx Aurora 16 (2 of em) With the pcie card. What mb you using? I had to turn off hyperthreading in the bios just to get it stable enough to use.

Soundcard is RME HDSPe AiO, with buffers set to 32, even on large projects. My perf meter never goes above 1/3 capacity, peak or global, even with heavy-duty stuff. Mobo is Asus X99-A. I have HT turned on in BIOS and enabled multiprocessing in Cubase. I did however disable the C-states in BIOS, as well as speedstep.
I also overclocked the CPU (4ghz) and the RAM (2666).

Hope this helps…

Cleen install versus Updateing

If you look at my Specs what you don’t see is im using a mother board and CPU from 2009!!!
twin quad core Xeon with 16 gig of old old ram and a bios i could only update to 2010.
on windows 7 64bit i was just plane flooded the CPUs. Projects from cubase 7 in Cubase 8 were just pigs had to back out latency to 1032 just to listen to a track. I read somewhere here about Window 8 being better with Cubase 8.
so i i had a small SSD installed win 8,1 and a clean install of Cubase 8 the difference was asstounding !!!
Huge projects i had before on Cubase 7. on win 7 that were pretty much all it could do were running at LESS then half with a clean install of Cubase 8 and smooth as silk. I hated windows 8 but seems Cubase 8 was made for it and this on a dinosaur of a machine in computer terms.

i know its a lot of work but fresh install of Win 8.1 and fresh install Cubase 8 i think is well worth it.

Yes i know, it should have been able to upgrade directly. in a perfect word. but with so many different variations of PCs out there its hard to make it perfect for everyone

Give it a shot, i think you will be more then pleasantly surprised , i know i was :slight_smile:

same problem here. mine started or i noticed after installing some VSTi demo’s.
Have you noticed that it only happens when you are on the current selected track and have record enabled?
if you turn off the record enable everything drops into place.
I get max spikes even when i use my keyboard to step through patches.
there is a big problem here and i wont purchase another Steinberg update or product until this is fixed.
If i was running a pro studio rather than just a hobby this would be a massive issue.

Steinberg can you please respond?

I have the same issues. I get a spike upon opening cubase, and then a flickering even when cubase is idle. As soon as I start loading VST Instruments I get high readings that build up so much that I can’t really get past 10 or 12 tracks with basic automation and plugins. I updated from Cubase 5.5.3. last week - which was handling vst and plugin intensive projects on the same system really well. Raising the buffer has helped slightly, but nowhere near perfect.

I’ve sent a support request to steinberg but I haven’t heard back. I have also been troubleshooting and reading around a lot but can’t find a solution.

Same here, I have CPU spike on a EDM project with a few VST instruments. The project is now basically unusable. Guess I will have to give Ableton a run until this is fixed.

Hi,

Has anyone had any luck with these problems?

Cheers,

N

I did post in this topic Cubase 8 Pro Performance - Cubase - Steinberg Forums and i will copy/paste
my post…

I upgraded to Cubase Pro 8 from 7.5 yesterday and i did some test’s.
Today saw this threat and i was wondering how it is possible that i have a performance boost of something like 40% if not more…
i.e
I have a project with only Vsti’s : 23 kontakt instances with orchestral libraries from strings to percusssion and brass (dont want to name the libraries because off topic).Big and memory hungry libraries.Add to many channels FX like compressors and EQ and 3 Fx channels with reverbs and delays.
So Cubase 7.5 at 2048 buffer size (48.xxx ms latency) in my asio driver and i had peaks and i had to go 4096 buffers to can hear it with SOME performance peaks. At all this Asio Guard was enabled.
Cubase 8 at 64 buffer size (3.xxx ms latency ) and with Asio Guard at high ,project runs smooth between 50% and 80% and all this at that small buffer size.If i raise the buffers the performance meter goes down to 30% has max point at 60%.
Of course i’m talking about averange meter not the real time.

How is that possible that i see that big difference in performance boost and others have performance lost? Weird…

My configuration:

Motherboard: Asus M4A78
CPU : AMD Phaenom II x4
Ram : 8GB
Soundcard : Digi Design rack 002
Asio Driver version : 8.0.4 64bit

P.S

I will test with a project without 64bit plugins and Vsti’s maybe that is one of the problems…

for the many people with problems upgrading to C8, is it unreasonable to request a new serial to enable only 7.5 to run and request a refund?

I’m thinking about asking for a refund too. I can’t do what I need to do.

Has anyone tried looking at their video card? I found this post about cubase 7.5

I have noticed that my audio interface and video card often seem to conflict, when trying to use skype or facetime for instance.

Also, I have recently noticed that, when I automate in Cubase 8 - the graphics do not follow the automation (i.e. knobs don’t turn as written, but the audio automation works)

Perhaps this is a solution? Problem is - I am on an iMac and can’t find a way to modify my graphics card.

I will try.

Has anybody tryed this:

Steinberg says: This occurs with specific combinations of FireWire or USB audio devices and when ASIO-Guard is enabled. Make sure that “Steinberg Audio Power Scheme” is enabled in the VST Devices setup to resolve the issue.

I will try as soon as I get home.

Greetings,

I have gone back to 7.5 and the issue is still there even though it was fine before I changed to 8. The other thing I did was upgrade to ur44 from ur22 surely this cannot be the problem?